Speaker cable doubling?

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
Speaker cable doubling?
« on: 2 Sep 2015, 05:18 am »
I really am in awe of my Ulysses - they have taken my system to new heights

I bought Lou's Daedalus / WyWire speaker cables and the tonality is right on and the dynamics are stellar

Reading in one of the Daedalus website reviews - I believe it was Dagogo on the Ulysses v1, the reviewer mentioned doubling up the speaker wire for even more performance

What are your thoughts Lou?

Is anyone using this double up method?
Your thoughts on the sonic benefits

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
Re: Speaker cable doubling?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2015, 06:00 am »
ohm's law at work... :green:

jriggy

« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2015, 06:00 pm »
I have recently demoed then purchased some DanaCable ICs. During the process, it was suggested that I also try their SCs, so I have been trying a few sets and some have two sets of bindings --spades and banana plugs-- and I can say, yes, in this situation there is an uptick in performance. Might depend on the wire and construction any given brand uses, I don't know. but maybe not and simply more is better!
« Last Edit: 3 Sep 2015, 01:24 pm by jriggy »

BobRex

« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2015, 06:25 pm »
This is essentially "shotgunning", although to be truly "shotgun" you need to run one cable to each leg, such that the pos and neg of each cable are tied together, and then each cable bundle is run pos and neg.  Fulton did this years ago, and MIT used to actually sell shotgunned versions of the 750 cable.

sunnydaze

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2015, 11:43 pm »
This is essentially "shotgunning", although to be truly "shotgun" you need to run one cable to each leg, such that the pos and neg of each cable are tied together, and then each cable bundle is run pos and neg. 

This is not my understanding of "shotgun".....

"Shotgun" means that for each speaker there are two identical runs of a single cable.  Each cable has a + and - leg at each end.  That is, two + legs and two - legs for each speaker.

The ends can be handled in different ways:

AMP ENDS:   (a) + and - can be left separate, meaning there are two + and two -
or,  (b) the two + legs are combined, the two - legs are combined, such that there in one + and one -.

SPEAKER ENDS:   same as above. 

If speakers are single wire, (b) would apply.
If speakers are biwire, (a) applies and one cable connects to the HF speaker posts,
and 2nd cable connects to LF speaker posts. (This is superior way to connect biwire speakers as each post pair gets a full cable.  Typical bi-wire cable is simply a single cable, split into 4 legs at the speaker end.)

If amp / speaker only has single pair of posts, ends can still be left separate, but must be terminated in such a way that both + (and -) ends can get onto a single post (ie: spade / banana; or spade / bare; or banana / bare, or bare /  bare)

This is what I always thought.     :dunno:   Over the years, I've come across much confusion on this issue.  It's completely possible I'm confused too!      :lol:

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2015, 05:42 am »
I really am in awe of my Ulysses - they have taken my system to new heights

I bought Lou's Daedalus / WyWire speaker cables and the tonality is right on and the dynamics are stellar

Reading in one of the Daedalus website reviews - I believe it was Dagogo on the Ulysses v1, the reviewer mentioned doubling up the speaker wire for even more performance

What are your thoughts Lou?

Is anyone using this double up method?
Your thoughts on the sonic benefits

Not what I recommend with my cables....  this is one of those "tricks" that work in some situations but that one should not make generalizations based on their occasional success. Often there is much more going on inside the cables and doubling can kill that or at the least be very expensive... I would guess maybe twice the price for a mix of results. Some good some bad....

Oh and please let's NOT start a cable food fight ok?  :nono:

cable is complicated and not always what it appears so let's all keep an open mind.

thanks,
lou