Handel's "Messiah"

Zuman

Handel's "Messiah"
« on: 17 Jun 2021, 01:12 pm »
It's six months and one week until Christmas, so that should give me time...
I'm looking for a new vinyl set of "Messiah." I have maybe four or five versions in various conditions, but I'd like a new-to-me mint condition set.
1) I'm not a purist when it comes to things like original instruments, countertenors, and ensemble size. My personal approach - and I agree that everybody's opinion counts - is that when Handel wants passion (from exultation through mourning), all options are on the table as "Messiah's" appeal is timeless and should be unfettered by the limitations of an era. In other words, if a tiny, spare production delivers the goods, great; but if a thousand voices rings the bell, I'm happy with that, too.
2) I'm aware that there is tremendous variation in the quality of different issues of the same performance, so I'm looking for specific pressing recommendations.
Thanks in advance for your advice...I appreciate the expertise and commitment of this community!

lazydays

Re: Handel's "Messiah"
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2021, 08:37 pm »
I'm still more fond of the old Columbia Six Eyes recording that most of the others I've listened to in the past. I do have two that I've not had the time to listen to, and they're deep in the stash (getting close to the 8000 LP mark these days). Glad you like that recording
gary

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Handel's "Messiah"
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2021, 11:42 pm »
I would not prefer DG due the digital recording from the 1990s YMMV.  Maybe a recording from BIS Records would be interesting.
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2021, 08:52 am by FullRangeMan »