Music Reference RM-10 at T.H.E. Newport Audio Show

WarJarrett

• NewForHalf
Music Reference RM-10 at T.H.E. Newport Audio Show
« on: 15 Jun 2013, 07:30 am »
I don't think Roger is aware of this yet, but I used a RM-10 in our Music First Audio display at T.H.E. Newport Audio Show 2013, earlier this month. With our $12,000 Audionote AN-E Lexus HE speakers, and our Music First Audio Baby Reference preamp ($7000), we compared 7 amplifiers (6 of them much more expensive than the RM-10). The RM-10 just sounded the best. We were happy with every amp we tested, but the final decision was unanimously in favor of the Music Reference. It provided the most lively dynamics, largest presentation of image, sweetest reproduction of voices, and best quality of bass, with absolutely no down-side at all. We were all very much impressed with this amp. Attached is a picture.

Roger A. Modjeski

Re: Music Reference RM-10 at T.H.E. Newport Audio Show
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2013, 10:13 pm »
I don't think Roger is aware of this yet, but I used a RM-10 in our Music First Audio display at T.H.E. Newport Audio Show 2013, earlier this month. With our $12,000 Audionote AN-E Lexus HE speakers, and our Music First Audio Baby Reference preamp ($7000), we compared 7 amplifiers (6 of them much more expensive than the RM-10). The RM-10 just sounded the best. We were happy with every amp we tested, but the final decision was unanimously in favor of the Music Reference. It provided the most lively dynamics, largest presentation of image, sweetest reproduction of voices, and best quality of bass, with absolutely no down-side at all. We were all very much impressed with this amp. Attached is a picture.

Hi Jarrett,

Thanks for the post and picture. Glad you liked it. Seems to be getting a lot of attention lately. A very talented speaker builder back East recently got one and just loves. Says its the best amp he has had and from the pictures he sent, he has a lot of amps.

There is a new version of the RM-10 available where the bias is self adjusting via individual cathode resistors. I recently read  in TAS that Bob Carver has a new EL84 amp and claims that one cathode resistor is better than four. Typical of Bob, he makes wild claims, in this case one that is not true unless the tubes are very well matched. Further he solved the rising bias with power using a zener clamp which will short out the first time a tube arcs thus burning up all the tubes unless it pulls a fuse first. The other problem is that if the bias needed for a particular set of tubes is over 14 volts (the zener voltage) they will not be able to self bias and will run hot.  http://www.bobcarver.com/vta20s.asp

For those who cant find it the RM-10 is on the right in the shade of the tree.