Just a pic of me humble old RM10

sdk

Just a pic of me humble old RM10
« on: 4 Apr 2013, 11:04 pm »

Music Reference RM10 with some newly restored Synthesis LM20 speakers by Conrad Johnson.
« Last Edit: 7 Apr 2013, 06:28 pm by sdk »

Goosepond

• Virna!
Re: Just a pic of me humble old RM10
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2013, 12:09 am »
Very nice!

I'll see your humble RM-10 and raise you one!  :thumb:

sdk

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2013, 01:49 am »
So jealous.  Those are very nice!  What speakers are you using?

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2013, 01:54 am »
So jealous.  Those are very nice!  What speakers are you using?

Thanks. I'm new to the MR world but reading this circle tempted me to give em a try when they recently came up on Audiogon.

I'm in the experimenting phase, cycling through small monitors, large monitors and eventually back to my Maggies (hence the mono configuration).

Gene

rbwalt

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2013, 02:08 pm »
may i suggest the Merlin Music TSM'S  speakers with the RM10.  you will have fantastic sound.

sdk

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2013, 02:54 pm »
may i suggest the Merlin Music TSM'S  speakers with the RM10.  you will have fantastic sound.

Yea, the Merlins are great.  I used to own the Merlin 2s which I absolutely loved.  That said the Synthesis speakers are also pretty amazing.  I'm sure they don't have the resolution of the current stock of Merlins but there is a magic about them which makes you want to listen to more music.  They are wonderful with vocals and throw a wide deep soundstage.  I have 2 other pairs of Synthesis speakers, the LM210s, and they are even better.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2013, 02:57 pm »
Yes, that's the problem with this hobby. Just too many choices!  :thumb:

Gene

rbwalt

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2013, 11:01 pm »
see if you can listen to a pair of the tsm's and everything will be clear. it is a amazing speaker for its size. almost as good as its bigger brother and we know how dam good that one is!

yea to many choices and so many are just average.

happy listening!

sdk

« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2013, 12:19 am »
see if you can listen to a pair of the tsm's and everything will be clear. it is a amazing speaker for its size. almost as good as its bigger brother and we know how dam good that one is!

yea to many choices and so many are just average.

happy listening!

No doubt about the Merlins.  They are in a different class altogether than the Synthesis speakers.  But you can't get Merlins for $200 and that's what I paid for the Synthesis speakers.  Of course I put some money into the speakers to upgrade the crossovers and refinish the cabinets but it's still a far cry for what a new pair of Merlins would cost me.  When all is said and done, I think I spent my money wisely.  The LM20s sound great.  Here are some pics of the new crossovers I built for them.

rbwalt

« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2013, 01:51 pm »
good points. looks like you did a nice  neat job on the cross overs. hope they work well for.