In depth article on preamp tube parameters

Roger A. Modjeski

In depth article on preamp tube parameters
« on: 21 Nov 2012, 03:31 am »
Poseidonsvoice has suggested to make this a sticky topic. http://www.tubeaudiostore.com/suitof6dfora.html

Although it is a response to a particular article in Glass Audio (where the first article and my response was published) it also goes into explaining important triode parameters in the simplest possible terms. I wrote it to defend the 6DJ8/6922 which was unfairly attacked as being unsuitable for audio and I knew this was not true and that the writer had gotten some fake 6DJ8s. One should not base a study solely on 5 samples of a tube from the same maker.

For those who may not know I was one of the first adopters of that tube in 1978 using it in the Beveridge RM-1 preamp and later in my RM-4, RM-5 and RM-9. It has become a very popular tube indeed. It will again be used in the line of phono preamps and headamp I am currently developing.  I constantly monitor production of the 6922 for the Russian producer and currently have the lowest noise/lowest microphonic examples I have ever tested. They are available at tubeaudiostore.com.

jeffreyfranz

• LOW HEAT
Re: In depth article on preamp tube parameters
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2013, 06:03 am »
Roger:
I am pleased you are developing a headphone amp based on one of my favorite tubes (still own an RM-9). I began moving away from high-end audio proper (joke) and into HP listening about two years ago. Fleeing the madness. Keep up the good work. - Jeffrey T