Van Alstine Insight Dac vs Bryston BDA-1 DAC

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Van Alstine Insight Dac vs Bryston BDA-1 DAC
« on: 27 Jan 2009, 02:23 am »
I decided to upgrade to an external DAC from my Red Wine modded SB3. I had waited since I bought the RW SB3, in April '06, to upgrade to an external because when I originally bought it, I was convinced that an "all in one box" player, precluding the SPDIF conversion, avoided additional jitter. Additionally, it was my opinion that I would have to spend a substantial amount in order to raise the SQ to a point where a significant difference could be gained. Better to wait a few years and let the technology of DACs improve, and costs come down, as they inevitably do, to upgrade. As I surveyed the DAC landscape late last year, I became aware of 2 products that seemed to garner almost universal praise for their SQ. The Audio By Van Alstine Insight DAC was introduced in the fall of '08 and features a multi-bit, oversampling design that "can output a completely symmetrical waveform with a top-to-bottom and left-to-right symmetry that is necessary to correctly recover all of the digital data". The Bryston BDA-1 was also introduced in the fall of '08. It features a list of features which can be found here.
http://bryston.com/bda1_m.html
A hint that an electronic component is better than average is that you don't see them for sale on the used market. Both of these units exhibit this characteristic.
I ordered them and proceeded to compare. Easier said than done. Firstly, the Insight and the BDA-1 had different output voltages and impedance's. I had rejected other highly thought of DACs because, using a passive setup(no preamp), I required a DAC with a healthy output capability to drive my amps. I also lusted after a unit with a discrete output stage. These 2 DACs, I thought, had the requisite drive capability for my set-up. I would never have guessed the differing outputs of the 2 would diverge as greatly as they did in the resulting drive capability. Those differences were noted in these 2 threads.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...hreadid=131541

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=60588.0

After the Insight was graciously revised by Frank Van Alstine, I sat down for some more serious listening. Matching output presented a tedious exercise requiring numerous resetting of volume with test tone tracks to be absolutely certain of matching levels so results were not skewed one way or another. Even so, I could not reliably judge whether the Insight or BDA-1 had better overall SQ. At first I thought the Insight had a better spacial presentation but a slightly lesser bass. Checking levels revealed a slight difference, and when adjusted, the differences disappeared. Oh dear.
My system just didn't have the resolution to tell a difference between the 2. While my Kenwood KM-X-1000, 270w, mono-blocks do not have an audiophile pedigree, they are nonetheless solid performers and sound as good as they measure.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3279611/Ke...Manual-English
I then received notice that the X-Amps, 150w, mono-block, I had on order from AV123, were being shipped.(see separate review)
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63886.0
Hopefully these would be better quality than the Kenwoods, and I could discern a difference. I asked Frank to extend my 30 day audition and he, again graciously, aquiessed. The X-Amps did, in fact, have better resolution and retrieval of low level detail than the Kenwoods. Again, a 2 day comparison, going back and forth, switching cables, playing test tones, resetting levels and then auditioning. Big band, reggae, baroque, full symphonies, solo Hawaiian slack-key, classical, and bluegrass guitar. Cuban big band, hard rock, small ensemble jazz, folk. I threw everything I had at them! Results? DEAD EVEN! They both had solid, deep, nimble bass, threw sound-stages that had depth , height, and width and had even, smooth, frequency response. Low level details were presented in away I had not experienced before. After I installed my new X-Amps, they both allowed me to hear the sense of space around each individual instrument instead of a homogeneous sound of the hall acoustics, on recordings made in real time in live venues, compared to my previous amps. Micro-acoustics, if you will.The sound of spittle in a sax mouthpiece, the chiff noise of a violin bow being moved across the strings when changing direction, the inflection of emotion in vocals, all were revealed in familiar recordings heretofore obscured. The differences were so slight and nonspecific as to be imperceptible to my ears. Maybe someone with better hearing and/or a better system would be better able to judge. With the Kenwoods in the system, I was able to have the gain all the way up on all recordings with the Insight due to the lesser input sensitivity of the Kenwoods. With the BDA-1, recordings with high output levels would overdrive the Kenwoods to distortion. With the X-Amps in the system, there was the increase in SQ as well as the greater gain resulting in a lowering of gain,at the attenuator, before overload. This overload was to the amp, not the speakers, so the upper SPL limit was lower, as the X-Amps are rated at 150w and the Kenwoods at 270w. Even with the higher SQ of the X-Amps, the SQ of both DACs remained comparable. I was amazed at how similar they sounded. So there is no loser. Both units are winners. The Insight is the stone bargain of the 2 at half the MSRP of the Bryston. If one has a preamp, I would not hesitate to recommend it. The BDA-1 has more output, which is important to me, as I have a passive attenuator instead of a preamp. While the Insight has a very utilitarian look to its chassis, the Bryston has a smaller footprint and a more sculpted look. Also, the bells and whistles, as Frank terms them, of the multiple inputs and upsampling offer greater utility in my setup, so I'm keeping the Bryston. To be sure, there are other differences that make the BDA-1 a more compelling unit, but they have nothing to do with sound quality. If you don't need balanced outs, a USB input, multiple digital inputs, and outputs, and upsampling, the Insight is a great value and the equal in SQ to the BDA-1. I would be remiss if I did not comment on the oversampling feature of the BDA-1. I can only echo the comments of others that the differences were subtle and not consistent from recording to recording. I usually leave it on. I did not use the USB input.

To some it all up, my impression is that the digital sections of these 2 DACs are both extremely refined and comparable in quality. The analog sections are both top notch with the ever so slight edge going to Bryston as far as drive capability.

I wish to thank Frank Van Alstine for going the extra mile with me in the audition process. While maintaining his curmudgeonly exterior, he also revealed his passion for what he does, and it seemed to me, genuine curiosity as to how these 2 DACs would compare.

My setup:
Sources: Red Wine Modded SB3, Toshiba SD6980
Passive Pre: Creek OBH12
Amps: Kenwood K-MX1000s, AV123 X-Amps
Speakers: SP Tech Timepiece Minis, Rocket UFW-12 sub w/RDES, VMPS Ambience Tweeters
Power Conditioner: Pure/AV PF60

pardales

Re: Van Alstine Insight Dac vs Bryston BDA-1 DAC
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2009, 02:42 am »
Very interesting review. Nicely done. As an Insight DAC owner myself I agree with your high praise of this unit. At anywhere near the price it is hard to beat. I have not heard the BDA-1 but hope to someday.

:thumb:

konut

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2009, 02:48 am »
Thanks! :D

Nonpoint

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2009, 11:56 pm »
I'm late to reading this, but great review.  I actually bought a BDA-1 and was disappointed it didn't improve my system's sq.  I have an Anthem AVM 30 with Focus Line LS6 speakers.  I wonder how the Van Alstine Ultra would stack up?

The BDA-1, after agonizing over A/B comparisons, sounded identical to the sound comin' out of the 30's DACs. 

You still happy with the BDA-1?   

konut

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2009, 12:41 am »
Absolutely! You might want to consider that the weakest link in your system is limiting your perception of sq. For example, both the Insight and BDA-1 sounded significantly better when I improved my amps. I know that the Anthem is no slouch and retails for double the BDA-1. Would those LS6s be the ones from AV123? I know those are excellent, but require serious power to really bloom. What are your amps?

Nonpoint

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2009, 01:23 am »
Good to hear.   

My amp is an Axiom A1400-2 connected via balanced inputs.  The amp gives me 350 per channel going into the 8ohm LS6s.  Very solid.

Yes, they are the av123s.  Spectacular upgrade to my ear from what I had/demoed earlier (B&W703s, Rocket 850s, Axiom M80s, Energy RC70s).  No need for a sub or center channel in my room any more. 

However, it blows me away how similar the sound is between my Anthem and BDA-1.  I know that is sacrilege from what I've read on the boards.  The BDA-1 sounds great, but based on people's comments and what I've read, I thought the BDA-1 would be a big step up in my system.
« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2009, 05:23 am by Nonpoint »

konut

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2009, 02:34 am »
Your expectations were raised by our gushing over the BDA-1. As your system stands, you will likely not be able to discern any significant difference between the internal DAC in the AVM 30 and the BDA-1. You are having to run the BDA-1 through the AVM 30 acting as preamp/volume control. Not debating the quality of that circuitry, just pointing out that its another layer of amplification that's redundant, serving to limit the perceptible absolute differences between the 2 DACs.  There is no question a some type of volume control is necessary for the operation of the BDA-1, but a simple attenuator will have less of a "footprint" on the sound than a full on preamp processor. This is the price one pays for having all the convenience of a control center in one big package. Look on the bright side, your system must sound great!

Edit: I keep forgetting. Welcome to AudioCircle! :thumb:

werd

« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2009, 01:24 am »
I'm late to reading this, but great review.  I actually bought a BDA-1 and was disappointed it didn't improve my system's sq.  I have an Anthem AVM 30 with Focus Line LS6 speakers.  I wonder how the Van Alstine Ultra would stack up?

The BDA-1, after agonizing over A/B comparisons, sounded identical to the sound comin' out of the 30's DACs.  You still happy with the BDA-1?

I doubt that very much.

bryan0101

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2010, 09:56 pm »
Anyone audition any of these two against the Monarchy NW24? With a tube line stage/preamp built in and PCM1704, it'd be interesting.

kip_

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2010, 10:49 pm »
Anyone audition any of these two against the Monarchy NW24? With a tube line stage/preamp built in and PCM1704, it'd be interesting.

FYI, All previous AVA DACs have been replaced by the Vision.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=75323.0

konut

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2010, 11:44 pm »
Yes, my original review is now of limited value, only useful to someone considering a used original Insight DAC. My BDA-1 continues to perform well and I have no desire to seek a different DAC. I must say I was kind of shocked to see a revision of the Insight as Van Alstine products usually have a longer model cycle. The other surprise was to see more 'bells and whistles' on the Vision.  :green:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2010, 07:55 pm »
I must say I was kind of shocked to see a revision of the Insight as Van Alstine products usually have a longer model cycle. The other surprise was to see more 'bells and whistles' on the Vision.  :green:

DAC technology is moving at light-speed, and Frank is constantly improving his products, hence the shorter than usual production life of the Insight DAC.  Even so, many upgrades are free or at very low cost, and Frank also attempts to provide a cost-effective upgrade path to an new product line.  I owned an Insight + DAC before the Vision DAC, and the Insight+ DAC isn't any slouch.  A buyer can pick up a lightly used Insight + DAC for 600.00 or less, which is truly a bargain.  AVA was the first manufacturer to produce a DAC with the new Wolfson chip, TTBOMK.  The other features were added at customers' requests. Frank is obviously ambivalent about including features that he doesn't think are necessary in his products, thereby increasing the cost for every customer, but he understands that hi-rez is becominig more viable and that some customers desire balanced outputs, etc.  He has included some additional features in the base-version Vision DAC and other features in extended-version Vision DAC.  Frank will often include other options, at extremely reasonable cost, at a customer's request.  Frank will make one-off builds, if the customer wishes and Frank can justify the increase cost.  For example, Frank will install (2) phono boards in a preamp if a customer wishes.