How is systemOptique different than standard SFP based optical networking?

brj

Hi Jesus.

I understand that your new optical module is intended to be a higher level implementation of a fiber optic ethernet media converter.

I also understand that you've reworked several of the Rendu products to add an SFP port to allow direction fiber optic Ethernet connections.

I applaud both of these moves and, as my networking gear has SFP ports already, would strongly consider these if my current media converter or uRendu died.

But as far as I can tell, your devices follow all standard SFP based optical ethernet protocols and standards.  (I use the term 'standand' loosely here, as the lack of an actual SFP standards body is what unfortunately has led to some vendors modules not playing well with other vendors networking gear.)  In other words, whatever their performance level, the SFP equipped Sonore products function the same (from an Ethernet networking perspective) as other media converters and SFP port equipped devices.  So how is 'systemOptique' different than existing optical Ethernet standards?

Similarly, you mention 'systemOptique certified'.  Can you publish the specs that define the certification and how they are tested?  (I thought 'systemOptique' was simply a convenient product grouping reference reflecting SFP enabled devices until I saw references to certification.)  Are you looking for other manufacturers to certify against this spec?

Thanks!

vortecjr

• Facilitator
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design
Hi Jesus.

I understand that your new optical module is intended to be a higher level implementation of a fiber optic ethernet media converter.

I also understand that you've reworked several of the Rendu products to add an SFP port to allow direction fiber optic Ethernet connections.

I applaud both of these moves and, as my networking gear has SFP ports already, would strongly consider these if my current media converter or uRendu died.

But as far as I can tell, your devices follow all standard SFP based optical ethernet protocols and standards.  (I use the term 'standand' loosely here, as the lack of an actual SFP standards body is what unfortunately has led to some vendors modules not playing well with other vendors networking gear.)  In other words, whatever their performance level, the SFP equipped Sonore products function the same (from an Ethernet networking perspective) as other media converters and SFP port equipped devices.  So how is 'systemOptique' different than existing optical Ethernet standards?

Similarly, you mention 'systemOptique certified'.  Can you publish the specs that define the certification and how they are tested?  (I thought 'systemOptique' was simply a convenient product grouping reference reflecting SFP enabled devices until I saw references to certification.)  Are you looking for other manufacturers to certify against this spec?

Thanks!

Only the opticalRendu and opticalModule have optical capabilities. It’s important to use matching transceivers and fiber optic cables to avoid compatibility issues. We are just trying to certify products that work well together by testing them together in a typical system. Manufactures are welcome to send us gear they want us to test and recommend.   

Syrah

Maybe I can elaborate on this question.  What is the advantage of this approach over using ethernet-optical/optical-ethernet converters?  They are only a couple of hundred dollars and (many seem to say) they help address the same problem of upstream isolation.  I power mine with LPSs.

vortecjr

• Facilitator
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design
In your example you are converting back to Ethernet cable which couples the FCM to the endpoint with copper cables. The opticalRendu take direct optical input and thus is 100% galvanically isolated from the upstream FMC. The opticalModule and the opticalRendu are each new designs and have their own specific design considerations.