Outlet Tester, Have you checked your Power-line conditioner?

Sandrock

• *My Sound Space*
I have a Clear Image Audio T4 Power Line Isolator and with the advent of some new equipment and PC cables I was wondering if everything was in phase equipment-wise. So I got the bright idea to use an Outlet Tester on the treated end (output) of the T4 to see which way the phase switch needed to be switched to be in phase. (there is no marking as to which way to press the rocker switch). Well to my surprise when I used the Outlet Tester it registered that all 4 of the receptacles have an "open" ground! I must admit I am confused? If they are all open ground then how does the 3 pin plug work ground-wise?

Can I suggest that there might be someone to see if what I have explained it correct with all Power Conditioners or is it just mine that might not be working correctly.

It would sure be a BIG help and relief to me to find out the truth! Do I have nothing to worry about OR do I have something to worry about???
My equipment is plugged into the unit and works fine however when I change the rocker switch I hear no sound difference.

Please can someone help out with this issue I am experiencing? I have posted a couple of pictures to fully understand what I am speaking about.

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Outlet Tester, Have you checked your Power-line conditioner?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2017, 11:50 pm »
Portable, corded isolation transformers have different NEC & UL rules than permanent hard wired isolation transformers. I'll get back to this Sunday.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2017, 12:33 am »
Although these photos are of the SE edition, it appears the only difference is an upgrade to some wiring and parts.  Interesting that it has a separate transformer for each simplex receptacle as well as a phase reversal switch on the back for each.

Sandrock

• *My Sound Space*
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2017, 03:35 am »
Thank you Speed Skater, I look forward to hearing your findings tomorrow.

Sandrock

• *My Sound Space*
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2017, 03:42 am »
SRB, I have the regular unit, not the SE version.
That came out a little later.
I think the 4 transformers are there because they wanted to provide individual isolation from the other components plugged into the T4.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2017, 03:52 am »
I think the 4 transformers are there because they wanted to provide individual isolation from the other components plugged into the T4.

Right, but other components I've see like this most often have individual filter banks all running off of one large isolation transformer.

I'm interested to see how the safety ground figures in which won't be inductively coupled through the transformers like the active hot and neutral lines.

Steve

Sandrock

• *My Sound Space*
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2017, 04:21 am »
Me too Steve!
That's why I am questing this issue and want to get to the bottom of exactly what is going on.
It bothers me to stick the outlet tester in the receptacle and see an open ground! I just finished spending a lot of money on high performance three prong power cords, only to find out that the ground is not there!
This is what confuses me.
"I want answers"!!!!!! ha.

Sandrock

• *My Sound Space*
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jul 2017, 04:22 am »
Steve, is that your T4 in the pictures?

srb

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jul 2017, 04:27 am »
No, I was just curious about the unit and its componentry and grabbed a couple pics off the net.

Steve

Sandrock

• *My Sound Space*
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jul 2017, 04:33 am »
Gotcha ........
Ian

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #10 on: 16 Jul 2017, 05:07 am »
Rig up a test light... so you can see if the hot to ground lights up the bulb.
It may be crude, but at least you know then that the power can go to ground.

Testing in this way may also set off any ground fault interrupter...

Personally I think the device is just not built right to test power conditioners with complex innards.

jea48

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jul 2017, 01:01 pm »
I have a Clear Image Audio T4 Power Line Isolator and with the advent of some new equipment and PC cables I was wondering if everything was in phase equipment-wise. So I got the bright idea to use an Outlet Tester on the treated end (output) of the T4 to see which way the phase switch needed to be switched to be in phase. (there is no marking as to which way to press the rocker switch). Well to my surprise when I used the Outlet Tester it registered that all 4 of the receptacles have an "open" ground! I must admit I am confused? If they are all open ground then how does the 3 pin plug work ground-wise?

Can I suggest that there might be someone to see if what I have explained it correct with all Power Conditioners or is it just mine that might not be working correctly.

It would sure be a BIG help and relief to me to find out the truth! Do I have nothing to worry about OR do I have something to worry about???
My equipment is plugged into the unit and works fine however when I change the rocker switch I hear no sound difference.

Please can someone help out with this issue I am experiencing? I have posted a couple of pictures to fully understand what I am speaking about.

There is a good possibility the unit has each out put of the isolation transformers floating above ground. If this is the case there will not be a reference to ground from either output Line, leg, of the iso transformers. That would explain the "open ground".

Will post later in greater detail

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #12 on: 16 Jul 2017, 04:00 pm »
OK, in a portable, corded 'point of use' isolation transformer, there is no DC continuity from the Safety Ground to the Hot or Neutral. So the little 3 LED has no ground reference. Situation normal.

By the way those little testers are not very smart, they don't know about bootleg grounds.
This by a pro audio guy:
"Failures in Outlet Testing Exposed"
http://www.ecmweb.com/contractor/failures-outlet-testing-exposed

srb

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jul 2017, 04:14 pm »
OK, in a portable, corded 'point of use' isolation transformer, there is no DC continuity from the Safety Ground to the Hot or Neutral. So the little 3 LED has no ground reference. Situation normal.

But I presume a multimeter would show continuity between the ground pin of the isolation unit receptacle and the ground pin of the wall receptacle?

Steve

jea48

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jul 2017, 05:05 pm »
There is a good possibility the unit has each out put of the isolation transformers floating above ground. If this is the case there will not be a reference to ground from either output Line, leg, of the iso transformers. That would explain the "open ground".

Will post later in greater detail

To continue where I left off.
First I was unable to find any manufacture's info or wiring diagram of the unit in question. My comments are based solely on the test of the OP's using the circuit checker.

IF the iso, isolation, transformers secondary windings are floating above ground that means none of the outputs have any electrical reference to one another, or to chassis ground, or the safety equipment ground of the wall outlet mains power. Real power that is. Oh with a digital meter you may read some phantom voltage but it is basically meaningless, imo. It is also possible you may get a voltage reading from filters that are wired in the output circuit of an iso. Hard to know without a wiring diagram. 

It also should be mentioned this type of floating power system an "Isolated AC Power System" should never be used in a non professional  unsupervised setting. It is not for the untrained layman.

For use of the general consumer public the iso transformers separately derived outputs should have been wired making each output of each transformer a "Ground AC Power System".  To accomplish this one output leg of each iso transformer is intentionally connected to the chassis along with the safety equipment grounding conductor from the 3 wire power cord. (There in the equipment grounding conductor in the AC power cord that feeds the unit.) The grounded leg conductor then becomes the Neutral, The Grounded Conductor.  If the iso secondary outputs of the transformers had been wired this way the OP's circuit tester would not have given an open ground indication.
IF the Outputs are floating above ground there is no neutral. There are two floating Hot ungrounded output legs, conductors, with no reference to ground.

If the secondaries are wired correctly so the output is a "Grounded AC Power System" the plug-in tester should have indicated 'Correct'.

I would suggest a volt meter should be used.
At each receptacle outlet measure from the hot contact to the neutral contact. You should measure 120Vac nominal.

Next measure from the hot contact to the equipment ground contact of the receptacle. You should measure the same 120Vac nominal voltage as above. (No connected load.)

Next measure from the neutral contact to the equipment ground contact. You should measure zero volts. 

Also each iso secondary should have been checked and wired so they would be in phase with one another. If in phase with one another there will not be a difference of potential, voltage, from the Hot contact from any receptacle to the hot contact to any other receptacle of the unit. If a 240V nominal voltage reading is measured from a hot to hot contact, from one receptacle to another, then they are not in phase.

As for the so called phase reversal switch. Beats me why the designer wanted to reverse the AC polarity, of what I believe is an "Isolated AC Power System".
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2017, 06:10 pm by jea48 »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #15 on: 16 Jul 2017, 06:56 pm »
But I presume a multimeter would show continuity between the ground pin of the isolation unit receptacle and the ground pin of the wall receptacle?
Yes.
To repeat myself:
Portable, corded isolation transformers have different NEC & UL rules than permanent hard wired isolation transformers.

If the secondaries are wired correctly so the output is a "Grounded AC Power System" the plug-in tester should have indicated 'Correct'.
Only for a permanent hard-wired transformer is this true. Not so for a portable unit.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #16 on: 16 Jul 2017, 07:02 pm »
From a Bill Whitlock seminar paper.

jea48

« Reply #17 on: 16 Jul 2017, 08:27 pm »
From a Bill Whitlock seminar paper.

Great picture showing an "Isolated AC Power System".

Note the secondary of the isolation transformer is floating above ground. The current carrying contacts of the receptacle are fed with two Hot ungrounded conductors.
Imagine 4 of these things feeding audio equipment that is connected together by RCA interconnects.

Speedskater,

Thanks for the picture.

How about a link to the rest of Bill's white paper, the picture was taken from. I would like to read his comments on using an Isolated AC Power System to feed home consumer audio equipment.

jea48

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jul 2017, 09:04 pm »
Yes.
To repeat myself:
Portable, corded isolation transformers have different NEC & UL rules than permanent hard wired isolation transformers.

Only for a permanent hard-wired transformer is this true. Not so for a portable unit.

An Isolated Power System should only be used by qualified personnel or under the supervision of qualified personnel.
Usually a cord and plug UL Listed Isolated Power System iso transformer will be labeled as a Medical Isolation transformer. You use to see these on a service tech's bench, still may. You will also see them in hospitals. Again, under the supervision of qualified personnel.

As for your comment you only see Grounded AC system iso transformers hard wired you are mistaken.

Just Curious if you know if the OP's unit is UL Listed to be sold to the retail market consumer? Not that it is not being marketed to the retail consumer, but is it UL Listed for the purpose?

EDIT:

Not that it is not being marketed to the retail consumer, but is it UL Listed for the purpose?

That should read,

Not that it is not being marketed to the retail consumer, but is it Listed by any recognized third party safety testing Labotory for the purpose?

« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2017, 04:26 am by jea48 »

Sandrock

• *My Sound Space*
« Reply #19 on: 17 Jul 2017, 03:01 am »
Hello all,
I have been busy today so now is the first time to touch the keyboard.
In answer to your interesting question jea48, I did a quick check and nothing is mentioned anywhere on the unit about it being UL Listed. My guess is that the cost and time for listing did not outweighs the number they expected to sell.  Audio Prism felt that the number they would sell was not worth the cost to obtain the status.
But that is just conjecture on my part.
I appreciate all those who have stepped up to help move forward my original question. 
It has been very enlightening.

So Speedskater, you are suggesting that the unit might have a "bootleg ground"?
How interesting.
I must say that I am not quite sure exactly what that means.
I have an idea but I am not real clear that I can wrap my mind around it.

Given all that has been posted before, are you saying that in spite of what I originally asked, perhaps my unit is functionally working correctly?
Great news if that were to be true.
I agree about why they put a rocker switch at all 4 of the outlets to change the phase. But perhaps it helps what ever is plugged into the socket to sound better.
But again its just supposition on my part. Given how electronic equipment is designed it would seem somewhat redundant. Maybe its the Rolls Royce of Isolation Conditioners.  Won't that be a hoot?