Bent Services

drcruz

Bent Services
« on: 2 Jan 2012, 11:19 pm »
Hi John,

Happy New Year!

Anyway I'm sitting around bored so I decided to ask a question. Back in 2008 I had Nicholas of Promitheus make me a 6-channel TVC (Here's the Link: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50970.0 - My profile gallery has pix). Everything works fine and I'm extremely happy w/ the sound (everything is very natural), though w/ 3 volume knobs it's a little bit of a pain getting everything set up. Once the volume is set I can just sit back and watch movies or listen to music. I was wondering would you be willing to make something similar using autoformers? My current worry is that I think Promitheus is pretty much shutdown, I tried e-mailing questions about interconnects w/ no response, and if something breaks I wouldn't know where to get my TVC repaired.

Thanks for your time,
Daniel

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Re: Bent Services
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2012, 08:22 pm »
Hello!

Wow - I need to catch up here. Things were so quiet around the forum I kinda got out of the habit of checking!

Happy new year (if it is not too late for that.....)! First the good news - I would highly suspect that your TVC will continue to tick along just fine. Once they are built there is not much to go wrong really....

It is easy to lash together 6 Slagleformer modules - easy that is until you add up the bill. It just gets really expensive and unfortunately with the parts used the costs just add up. I have done quite a few with 4 modules for true balanced operation. I have had requests several times about 6 channels but never has anyone pulled the trigger.

Thansk!

John

drcruz

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2012, 01:34 am »
Cool, thanks for the response. These TVC's/AVC's, which don't seem to produce much heat, you'd think they'd last a long time. I'm just super happy with the sound and I know it just improves from here. A better amp (one with no hum) and a LCR set of crossoverless speakers (I'm leaning toward Gallos), I'll have a super minimalist system.
Thanks again...

wilsynet

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2012, 05:39 pm »
Wow - I need to catch up here. Things were so quiet around the forum I kinda got out of the habit of checking!

Hey John, I thought I had read at some point, maybe a year ago?  That you were going to stop selling finished units direct to consumers and you were going to focus on selling OEM components to manufacturers.

Is that right?

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2012, 07:13 pm »
Hello!

Yes that is true. I really need to update my web page in so many ways... It is getting kinda embarrassing now. One of these days I will.

Now I am doing oem design but I still do sell parts kits for DIY all the time. Soon Front Panel Express will have a case that mates with autoformers so it will make doing an autoformer  preamp with all the remote features an easier build. Time and time again guys are ok with the handful of wires to connect but finding a case makes the project a no go.

The reason for the change was two fold. First as I did more and more oem design work it was getting weird selling stuff to these guys while at the same time competing with them for preamp sales.  Second was as I did more and more oem design work I had less and less time......

Thanks!

John

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2012, 11:14 am »
Hello!

Yes that is true. I really need to update my web page in so many ways... It is getting kinda embarrassing now. One of these days I will.

Now I am doing oem design but I still do sell parts kits for DIY all the time. Soon Front Panel Express will have a case that mates with autoformers so it will make doing an autoformer  preamp with all the remote features an easier build. Time and time again guys are ok with the handful of wires to connect but finding a case makes the project a no go.

The reason for the change was two fold. First as I did more and more oem design work it was getting weird selling stuff to these guys while at the same time competing with them for preamp sales.  Second was as I did more and more oem design work I had less and less time......

Thanks!

John

John,

Do you have an FPE case design yet for your Slagle/Bent Audio autoformer modules?

Thanks,
Anand.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2012, 08:23 pm »
Hello!

It is not too far off. It is front panel express that will sell it direct. The fellow doing the case design has left there and it is taking a bit of digging to see just how to button up some  needed changes.... Hopefully in a week or two it'll be good to go.

Thanks!

John
« Last Edit: 8 May 2012, 06:43 pm by John Chapman »