Long time visitor

Copes

Long time visitor
« on: 2 Mar 2019, 09:05 pm »
Hi, I've been to this site many times soaking up your knowledge.  I'm putting a high end system together and plan to spend a lot of time here.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Long time visitor
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2019, 10:39 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle.  :beer:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2019, 10:54 pm »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2019, 11:13 pm »
Welcome Copes, we like to spend the money of others :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2019, 11:44 am »
Welcome Copes!

Have you defined what a high-end system is?  Most IMO most audiophiles way, way over spend on gear for the given room (ill shaped, too small, shared, compromised setup, not insulated, not treated).  Unless you have a good room, you'll just be frustrated.  Better to get a nice affordable domestically friendly in-room system and concentrate on headphones/earbuds.

We each have our own idea of what a high-end system is.  IMO it's not a desktop top system.  And after 50 years around this, it's not 95% of what I've witnessed at shows/dealers.  What sonic attributes do you crave?  What's your preferred musical genres?  What's your budget?  I've finally decided it's valuable to concentrate on high quality vendors (solid company history, deep R&D/manufacturing resources, great customer service).  Those criteria knock most vendors out of the water. 

After 3 posts you'll be able to PM and participate in the Trading Circle.

Take care.

toocool4

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2019, 01:47 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle Copes

Copes

« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2019, 05:11 pm »
Thank you everyone for welcoming me to the group.

Copes

« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2019, 05:29 pm »
JLM,
Thank you for your insight.  Your first question is the one that is giving me the difficulty.  What is my budget?
I have a dedicated listening room - basically 15' x 20', with a couple anomalies. I've gotten good sound from what I've tried so far.
I listen to old rock from the late 60's - early 70's. Not necessarily hard rock, but music featuring harmonies and acoustic guitar, piano, etc.
Also, jazz, blues, and some classical.  I want a warm musical sound.  I want to hear each instrument.
I also appreciate your advice about using a high quality vendor.
Best Regards

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 6 Mar 2019, 12:17 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Copes   :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 12 Apr 2019, 03:32 pm »
JLM,
Thank you for your insight.  Your first question is the one that is giving me the difficulty.  What is my budget?
I have a dedicated listening room - basically 15' x 20', with a couple anomalies. I've gotten good sound from what I've tried so far.
I listen to old rock from the late 60's - early 70's. Not necessarily hard rock, but music featuring harmonies and acoustic guitar, piano, etc.
Also, jazz, blues, and some classical.  I want a warm musical sound.  I want to hear each instrument.
I also appreciate your advice about using a high quality vendor.
Best Regards
Hi Copes,
With this your refined and specific musical taste, you should use a crossoverless speaker to keep the harmanic content intact, you could consider a small SET tube amp and a Fullrange driver as Visaton B200 or Classic10Ferrite at $375 pair this last one in a BassReflex 180L box since your room have space around, this site also have the Alnico line.
https://commonsenseaudio.com/an10classicspecs.jpg