Hello everyone

Jayzee

Hello everyone
« on: 27 Jul 2021, 07:59 pm »
Hello everyone, good to find you all.

Back in 2001 I decided to upgrade to an audiophile grade system and looked for good value used equipment. I was lucky enough to find a pair of VR-3s not far away and have loved them ever since. The guy I bought them from called me 6 months later and wanted to buy them back because he wasn't happy with his replacements, but no way I was letting them go.

I'm running them through Proceed Pre and AMP2 with Oppo BDP-105 as my DAC/surround processor, with an LCR-21 center channel I picked up in 2002. Running in pure stereo I just love the amazing sound stage, depth, breadth and imaging, and the drivers integrate seamlessly with beautiful low bass. I close my eyes and I'm there. On the really good jazz piano recordings it sounds like the piano is right there in the room. I've played my system for friends, all of whom are floored and one who went audiophile himself, although he went with B&W speakers.

I'm retiring soon and looking at buying a second home near family, so will have to build another system for their. So now on the search again for good used Von Schweikerts, and since it'll be a bigger room I'll need to move up from the  VR-3s. So far seen a few candidates, anyone want to comment on VR4 with 5/7 upgrades?

varsharun

Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2021, 09:08 am »
Von Schweikert speakers are amazing. Albert (RIP) was a true gentleman and passionate about the art of sound. Always loved speaking with his customers, and spent hours convincing me why the Unifields were better than others in that price range. Due to financial reasons I need to part with my Uni 3s after more than a decade, so if you are interested let me know. I'm in the Seattle, WA area.

-Arun

Jayzee

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2021, 09:04 pm »
Read some positive reviews online, but the Uni’s are probably out of my price range, what are you asking? Just saw some VR-2s offered not far from here and from the reviews it seems like they’re a good choice.

mhconley

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2021, 12:55 pm »
Anything you can afford above the VR3’s you own would be a nice upgrade. Unifield 3’s are very nice and sound utterly amazing but they have a different sound signature than the VR line. They’d be wonderful in a small room dedicated 2-channel system. VR4’s with a 5/7 upgrade would likely be fantastic. Any VR4 or VR5 would be a significant upgrade IMHO. I would not discount a pair of VR-35’s either. Good luck in your search.

For point of reference I own VR4 Gen III HSE and worked with Albert at the 2009 RMAF where he introduced the Unifield 3.

Martin

varsharun

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2021, 10:21 pm »
Agree with Martin on the unique sound of the Uni 3s, but have to disagree on the room size - it is fantastic in medium to large rooms, especially with good sound treatments. Expansive soundstage and pinpoint imaging.
I'm looking for $5k to $6k.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2021, 11:18 pm »
Have never listened to any of the Unifield speakers.  Certainly have heard good things about them.

I purchased original VR-4 back in the '97'ish period.  Albert upgraded them with the -5/-7 upgrade a few years afterward.   Still have them.  They are fantastic, IMO.  Big, open, natural sound.  I've seen them selling used in the $2500-$3000 range.  I don't know how anyone could get anything better at that price.  Or at $5000.  I had a chance to demo mine vs Sonus Faber Olympica III a few years ago.   I very much liked the Sonus Faber, but I would not have traded them even up.  The Olympica III were selling for around $13K at the time. 

kernelbob

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2021, 12:16 am »
I can still remember when I first heard the VR4 speakers when they were Albert's current production speakers.  I remember the wide and deep soundstage of a recording of "Street Scene" by Kurt Weill.  Being a chronically slow purchaser, I looked at many of similarly priced speakers, but none remotely approached the spatial realism of the VR4's.  A year later, I attended a meet-and-greet presented by a local dealer where Albert gave a presentation on his newest speaker, the VR6.  I ended up purchasing a pair, which I still have in my second system.  Meanwhile, I purchased a pair of VR5-Anniversaries; eventually sold them to a friend, and am the first owner of the VR100XS system.  Albert and Leif generously came to my home to oversee their uncrating and installation.

My experience is that all of these speakers had that same sense of coherence, imaging, depth, and musicality.  Bottom line, if you can find a pair of VR4's in good working order, they definitely have that VSA realism.  I've also helped a local customer set up a pair of Unifield's which also have that cohesive, well imaged sound.

Just my two cent's worth.
Robert