HT3 for 2 Channel Home Theater

writeface

HT3 for 2 Channel Home Theater
« on: 11 Jan 2010, 02:58 am »
I visited Tracy@San Jose and auditioned HT3. I have fallen in love with the sound. I currently own a 5.1 HT setup and want to replace it with HT3. I want to get rid of center and surrounds to eliminate clutter. Will HT-3 be enough for enjoying blu-rays? If yes, can I also get rid of Marantz receiver (see my set-up below)?
Thanks for your time.

Write.Face

---
PS/3 (for Movies) connected to Marantz SR8002 receiver
Dish network connected to Marantz SR8002

Wyred 4 Sound STP-PE preamp hooked to Marantz receiver using HT Bypass
PS Audio Transport/DAC duo for 2-channel music connected to W4S pre
Wyred 4 Sound ST-500 monoblock amps connected to W4S pre and Aperion 6Ts (soon HT-3s I hope!)

vintagebob

Re: HT3 for 2 Channel Home Theater
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2010, 04:40 am »
Well, you're welcome to come by my place and listen to Blu-Ray in 2-channel (HT2-TLs) and then in 5.1 (with HT2-Center and HT-1 Surounds).  I prefer the 5.1 setup for movies but maybe 2-channel will work for you?

My setup is listed below.

cujobob

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2010, 04:51 am »
The HT3 are a capable speaker...so if you're fine without surrounds (which you can find out now by turning them off in the receiver), you should enjoy the setup.  To get rid of your receiver, just make sure all of your sources have the correct audio outputs for hooking it up to the preamp...and make sure your display can receive all of the video signals necessary.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2010, 05:02 am »
I have heard the HT-3 with the HTC center and it's the only time ever that I actually preferred a center channel with music. The melding of all 3 speakers was seamless, quite incredible actually. I'd keep an open mind and take up vintagebob's offer if possible. If you like his HT-2 front end setup, I would imagine the HT-3/HTC will be better than that.

Cheers,
Robin

vintagebob

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2010, 03:49 pm »
I'm not even sure that Blu-Ray lossless audio can be rendered in stereo?  I'm assuming that they would have to remix the audio to provide the surround effects in stereo?  I looked at a few action films like Star Trek and didn't see stereo as a choice on the box but maybe it is provided in the audio setup menu with the movie?   I would hate to watch a BD movie and only hear the front two channels.  I guess I can check tonight.

UPDATE

I checked and there are no 2 channel choices on Star Trek, just 5.1.

« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2010, 12:34 am by vintagebob »

coke

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2010, 04:49 pm »
Just a thought.

Pair of Salk HT3 - $5,700

Pair of HT2-TL and HTC -$5,600

I guess you'd need another channel of amplification for the 2nd option though.

writeface

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2010, 05:07 pm »
Thanks. I may order my speaks today/tomorrow. Oscillating between HT3 and HT2-TL...! (its not fun!)

writeface

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2010, 05:13 pm »
There are two choices for center.. Song and HTC... Which one to choose....?

taoggniklat

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2010, 05:14 pm »
Thanks. I may order my speaks today/tomorrow. Oscillating between HT3 and HT2-TL...! (its not fun!)

At least you have approval to purchase $4k+ speakers, I think that would be fun! :)

taoggniklat

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2010, 05:17 pm »

The HTC would "match" the veracity series the best of the two, but you can certainly do worse than the SongCenter. :)

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2010, 05:29 pm »

If you go with the HT-3, please read my prior comments above.  :D 

OgOgilby

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2010, 06:28 pm »
Write.Face - since you mentioned Blu-ray's, I think you would be happier with the HT2-TL and HTC combo and keep whatever you have now for the rear channels. For movies it is hard to beat 5.1, and the HT2-TL's are very, very good when you want to listen to 2 channel.

I would recommend calling Jim Salk and asking him what would work best for your setup.

Srgtfury

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2010, 07:57 pm »
I am surprised at the imagery and immersion with my two Ht3's and Arcamavr600 /Halo A51.  Clearly not 4.0 or more, but still quite an unexpected surprise.  I have additional surriunds ready to go, BTW, but my current room does not allow this.  OTOH, I have to think that a phatom center will be just fine with this processor, unless the new room allows for an acceptable center placement.

Thank you very much

Fury

writeface

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jan 2010, 04:37 pm »
Thank you all for your kind responses. I am about to place my order for HT3. I will buy HTC a bit later. My current TV stand has no room to accommodate the 10" high HTC!

Next question (it never stops!)...:

Choosing the veneer: My hardwood floor is Honey Oak, and I am sure Jim can produce the veneer easily, but most of my A/V components are black. How do I choose the color of my speakers?  I am not able to imagine how a pair of Honey Oak speakers will look in my set-up. Will the speakers "stick out" if the surrounding equipment is all black? 
The real question is what is the thumb rule here.. speakers should match the furniture or floor or does it really matter?

Thanks for your time.

Write.Face

vintagebob

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jan 2010, 06:08 pm »
Thank you all for your kind responses. I am about to place my order for HT3. I will buy HTC a bit later. My current TV stand has no room to accommodate the 10" high HTC!

Next question (it never stops!)...:

Choosing the veneer: My hardwood floor is Honey Oak, and I am sure Jim can produce the veneer easily, but most of my A/V components are black. How do I choose the color of my speakers?  I am not able to imagine how a pair of Honey Oak speakers will look in my set-up. Will the speakers "stick out" if the surrounding equipment is all black? 
The real question is what is the thumb rule here.. speakers should match the furniture or floor or does it really matter?

Thanks for your time.

Write.Face

You can have them made with black baffles like mine or you could go the other way and get them all black with Honey Oak baffles.  Check out Jim's post on veneers.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=74089.0

Nuance

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jan 2010, 07:08 pm »
Black with honey oak baffles would look doggone sexy!

writeface

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jan 2010, 11:30 pm »
VintageBob, Thanks for the nice pictures and the suggestions

Nuance,

I am ordering the doggone sexy HT3:)

Write.Face

taoggniklat

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jan 2010, 11:34 pm »
You can have them made with black baffles like mine or you could go the other way and get them all black with Honey Oak baffles.  Check out Jim's post on veneers.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=74089.0

I am looking forward to seeing and ultimately hearing these in person this week Bob.  :)

drew8mc

• Lineal Inc.
« Reply #18 on: 15 Jan 2010, 03:46 pm »
I think pretty much every blue ray player will down-convert all 5.1 into 2 channels through the stereo outs (not the front left and right).  I've been a 2 channel movie guy for a long time.  Here's where personal preference and priorities come in.  I'd rather assemble the best 2 channels I possibly can than to dilute that same budget into so many more parts.  For me, having surrounds and a center don't increase my enjoyment of movies enough to justify spending that money.  Now if I had an unlimited budget, you can bet I'd have a full surround setup and a separate setup for 2 channel music.  Music is my priority, and movies come in second.  That's probably vastly different for a lot of other folks, but that's fun of this whole hobby, you can assemble any system you want. 

Sonix

« Reply #19 on: 16 Jan 2010, 03:08 pm »
Well, you're welcome to come by my place and listen to Blu-Ray in 2-channel (HT2-TLs) and then in 5.1 (with HT2-Center and HT-1 Surounds).  I prefer the 5.1 setup for movies but maybe 2-channel will work for you?

My setup is listed below.

Helllooo Bob!

It seems you are always inviting people over for a listen, and boy, I would love to come over for an audition, but since I am in the Philippines, maybe I could take a rain check.

But I would still really love to hear your impressions of your sound. :eyebrows:

I am so happy that I found you because after looking at your gear, it is amazing how I am almost going down the same path as you. :thumb:

I had already narrowed down my speakers to the awesome Salk HT-TL2s that you have, and after seeing the sc-05 in your set up, I read up on it, and it sounds really impressive (or maybe even the sc-25/27).

I am even leaning towards AVA gear for LCR channels and I really wanted to ask you how you like the integration of the AVA gear with the receiver? And is there enough power in the AVA Insight Double 240/3.

Do you have remote capability? When you want to listen to hi-rez sound is it like flipping on switches in the cockpit of a 747, or does it all fire up with one button?

I think your TL2s look fantastic. Is that the honey oak? Does the center veneer match? It seems darker.
Any more pictures/close-ups from different angles including the surrounds?

Also love your center stand. Where did you find it?

Anyways, sorry for all the questions. I think I need to calm down. :lol:

Best Regards,
Ken