Salk and Van Alstine at RMAF...

robinje

Salk and Van Alstine at RMAF...
« on: 12 Oct 2008, 04:30 am »
Here's a pic from the Stereophile RMAF blog...

The particular veneer on the SongTower RT is starting to become quite familar...   :D

cujobob

Re: Salk and Van Alstine at RMAF...
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2008, 07:52 am »
Beautiful speakers but I'm not so sure about the black baffles, personally.

Everything I've read has been really positive about the Salk speakers and Van Alstine gear at RMAF.

grenamc

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2008, 08:49 am »
Those HT3s are B E A Utiful.  I am not normally a fan of light veneers, but those are serious lookers!

-Michael

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2008, 11:45 am »
If you haven't seen these speakers in person, the photos don't do justice to them. The form, fit finish is top notch and they truely look as good as they sound. Jim does such a wonderful job.

Wayner  :D

MichiganMike

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2008, 12:01 pm »
I had the pleasure of viewing these speakers in Jim's home shortly before he departed for RMAF.  I second Wayner's comment that these speakers are more stunning in person.  It is difficult to capture the depth of the finish and beauty of the wood in a photo or image.  Also, the wood grain matching where different pieces of veneer are joined shows Jim's artistry and attention to detail, but is not clear on these photos.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2008, 12:40 am »
Beautiful speakers but I'm not so sure about the black baffles, personally.

I agree they look a little dark and forboding in the picture, but in the room they blend in perfectly with the dark patterns in the rosewood.  The clear aluminum baffle just wouldn't work. 

GloP

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2008, 02:07 am »
Are those HT3 with the new driver?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2008, 02:16 am »
No--those are old school.  I still haven't received the new woofer, although Jim did send me a set of new baffles to accomodate the slightly larger frame of the new woofer, and a rectangular baffle for the Funkmeister's custom HT3.  I hope to have the new woof by the end of the week.

sanlanman

« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2008, 03:02 am »
Go to this weblink on Audiojunkies.com:

http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/694/rocky-mountain-audiofest-day-3-pictures

Scroll down to the Salk/VanAlstine photos.

Look at the wide angle photo.

Hey Jim or Dennis, what are those unidentified pair of mini tower speakers in the corner, that are shorter and wider than Song Towers?

brj

« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2008, 03:07 am »
I can't say for sure, but they look like the cabinets Jim built for one of Phil Bamberg's experimental speaker designs last year...

Toka

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2008, 03:08 am »
I think those are last year's pics...at least they are for the Salk/AVA room...

martyo

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2008, 09:40 am »
Toka is right, the audiojunkies pic is from last year, those are my HT3's in the pic.

sanlanman

« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2008, 12:50 pm »
Well, I'll be dumbstruck. I was surfing on Googlle for 2008 RMAF reviews and photos and one link was to that site. I missed any date on that site if there was any.

As Emily Litella would have said. "Nevermind" (From the original Saturday Night Live cast)

fsimms

« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2008, 03:59 pm »
I really enjoyed seeing Jim and meeting Dennis.   The room sounded better than last year.  After seeing all the speakers, I am as glad as ever that I have Salks.

Bob

EDIT: None of the systems there gave me the excitement that I have when I fire up my HT1's! :D
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2008, 12:30 pm by fsimms »

ttan98

« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2008, 01:52 am »

I heard about Jim has a new pair open baffle speakers(as far as I remembered no name) which will be released soon, I wonder why these speakers were not shown at the RMAF audio show.

Any reason why?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #15 on: 17 Oct 2008, 02:03 am »
I think there's a new version of the midrange driver for the open baffle being introduced.  Jim probably only wanted to showcase speakers in their final form. 

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #16 on: 17 Oct 2008, 02:32 am »
I think there's a new version of the midrange driver for the open baffle being introduced.  Jim probably only wanted to showcase speakers in their final form. 

Sweet!!!  :thumb: 
Can't wait to see the new version!!!

Jerry

jsalk

« Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2008, 07:32 pm »

Yes, this is the case.  The original prototypes were designed with PHL mids.  Since then, we heard rumors of a new mid that was being developed that, on paper, may out-perform the PHL drivers.  Since we had not yet completed the four pairs we are currently working on, I thought it would be a good idea to hold off until we were able to test one of these new drivers.  I didn't want to complete pairs of speakers and then a couple of weeks later announce an "upgrade."  I don't think the owners of those speakers would be very happy.

We will shortly get the prototype of this new driver and new spiders are being produced to make it even better for our application.  We should have samples in hand in the next two weeks and then we determine which driver will be our final choice.  Once that is done, we can finish up the pairs we are currently working on.  We will also select a name and post them on our web site.

- Jim

ttan98

« Reply #18 on: 17 Oct 2008, 09:47 pm »
Jim,

My guess is you are testing a new midrange from AE that is,

Acoustic Elegance 6.5" Midrange

Can you confirm?

jsalk

« Reply #19 on: 17 Oct 2008, 10:26 pm »
Jim,