new HT setup

gthomas

new HT setup
« on: 2 Sep 2006, 11:06 pm »
Well after 3 years of reading about Jims speakers, I have finally sold my current speakers and am in the process  of ordering a set of HT3 with an HTC and a pair of HT1 for the rear.  I am very excited about this and will post more when I get mine.  I know it will be a while, but after 3 years, whats a few more weeks!!
gthomas

cdorval1

Re: new HT setup
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2006, 11:52 pm »
You're in for a treat.  Be patient--it may take longer than a few weeks, but it's well worth the wait.  Congratulations!

Craig

gthomas

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2006, 10:54 pm »
I talked to Jim this Am and he will deliver my speakers on his way to RMAF.  Should be here tomorrow sometime.  I'm excited to say the least!!

gthomas

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2006, 11:03 pm »
What finish did you get?

gthomas

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2006, 12:27 am »
I got rosewood with the hand rubbed finish.  I was lucky, a gentleman had ordered these and sent a deposit, but Jim hadn't been able to contact him since.  So he had a 5 speaker setup just like I wanted almost finished.  I told him I would take them and if he was ever able to reach the original buyer, then he could build him another set.  Worked out well for all.

gthomas

gthomas

« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2006, 02:11 am »
Thanks Marbles, I'm sure you're right.  This time tomorrow night, I will have the ultamate speaker system.  I just bought a pair of JL Audio F113 subs.  If you haven't had a chance to see these, you're in for a treat.  They are simply awesome!!  Coupled with the Salks, I think I will have the setup from heaven!!

gthomas :drool:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2006, 02:52 am »
Wish I could hear that combo.  With all of the flexibility of the sub set-up, you might want to cross around 60 Hz or even a tad higher.  It seems like a waste of the TC1's bass capability, but with the active circuitry you'll be able to adjust the deep bass so that room peaks in the 40-60 Hz region don't generate too much boom.  I'll be seeing Jim at RMAF.  I'm anxious to see how the W18 Nextel version compares with the W18 Magnesium.  My guess is that the differences will be really subtle.  I sure hope you enjoy your new speaks.

gthomas

« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2006, 02:54 am »
I have the CS-Ultras also and they sound grerat, but I needed to get something not as tall.  The JL Audio do sound better than the CS-Ultras, but they should at the price you pay.  By the way, if anyone is interested, I am selling the CS-Ultras with a Crown K1 and the Velodyne SMS-1 eq.  I have them on audiogon.

gthomas

gthomas

« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2006, 02:59 am »
Thanks Dennis, I'm sure I will love them.  I have been wanting these speakers for 3 years.  Actually when I first looked, Jim just had the HT1.  I know I speak for all owners of these speakers when I say THANK YOU FOR THE CROSSOVER WORK THAT YOU HAVE DONE.  I hope you enjoy RMAF.  Wish I could go, but have to stay here and practice medicine to pay for my toys!!

gthomas

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #9 on: 18 Oct 2006, 01:24 pm »
[ I hope you enjoy RMAF.  Wish I could go, but have to stay here and practice medicine to pay for my toys!!

What's your specialty?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 18 Oct 2006, 02:00 pm »

[/quote]

I was able to see your speakers about two weeks ago, I think you are going to really like them.
[/quote]

I saw them too.  Very nice.  And just sitting there waiting for the drivers to be installed.

How are they being delivered?  Is he dropping them off or shipping them?

gthomas

« Reply #11 on: 18 Oct 2006, 03:54 pm »
Dennis, I am a Pulmonary/Critical care doc.

Jim is delivering them today on his way to RMAF.  Probably here by noon.

gthomas

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #12 on: 18 Oct 2006, 04:02 pm »
Thanks Marbles, I'm sure you're right.  This time tomorrow night, I will have the ultamate speaker system.  I just bought a pair of JL Audio F113 subs.  If you haven't had a chance to see these, you're in for a treat.  They are simply awesome!!  Coupled with the Salks, I think I will have the setup from heaven!!

gthomas :drool:

Wow!!

A pair of the F113 subs will set you back quite a few bucks, but they are supposed to be quite impressive.

How big is your room?

George

jermmd

« Reply #13 on: 18 Oct 2006, 04:07 pm »
I have HT3's and an HTC across the front of my theater along with an ACI Maestro subwoofer. The combination is really impressive. Congrats on your purchase. Definitely post photos after it's all set up. What electronics are you using?

gthomas

« Reply #14 on: 18 Oct 2006, 04:18 pm »
The room is about 25x20 with 11ft ceilings.  It is open to the back and side so has a lot to fill.  I have a Gemstone 7channel amp with the Anthem D1 pre-pro.  Sony KDS70 XBR2 TV.  Dish HD receiver and a simple Panasonic RP82 DVD.  I don't use the subs for music.  I guess I'm just old fashioned, but I like two-channel to be two-channel.  Especially with the HT3, I shouldn't need any deeper extension for music than the TC woofer in the HT3.  If I'm wrong and do need more, then I guess the F113s will handle the situation. :icon_lol:

gthomas

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #15 on: 18 Oct 2006, 06:14 pm »
The room is about 25x20 with 11ft ceilings.  It is open to the back and side so has a lot to fill.  I have a Gemstone 7channel amp with the Anthem D1 pre-pro.  Sony KDS70 XBR2 TV.  Dish HD receiver and a simple Panasonic RP82 DVD.  I don't use the subs for music.  I guess I'm just old fashioned, but I like two-channel to be two-channel.  Especially with the HT3, I shouldn't need any deeper extension for music than the TC woofer in the HT3.  If I'm wrong and do need more, then I guess the F113s will handle the situation. :icon_lol:

gthomas

There are a couple of reasons to potentially use the subs with the HT3's:

1.  To take a little of the burden away from your amplification (not sure what you are using).
2.  To have the bass "corrected" by using the built in room optimization program.
3.  Placement of HT3's vs. subs

I use my HT3's without subs, but I do have a TacT 2.2x that allows for the correction of the bass. 

Anyway, I would suggest trying with and without the subs to see which you like better.  If the JL subs are as good as I think they are, you might want them in there for music as well as movies.

Enjoy the speakers.

George

gthomas

« Reply #16 on: 18 Oct 2006, 06:36 pm »
That's a good point George and I will try them both ways.  Thanks for the input.             

gene

gthomas

« Reply #17 on: 19 Oct 2006, 04:40 am »
Jim and Mary Salk were at my home this evening and delivered my 5 speakers.  They are very gratious people.  Jim is an artist for sure.  My speakers are beautiful.  After only a couple of hours of listening, I know I am going to be very happy.  They blend very well with my JL Audio subs.  Now if I could just get my SVS CS_Ultras sold!!

gthomas

Papajin

« Reply #18 on: 19 Oct 2006, 05:06 am »
Congrats!  Sounds like you and I got almost the same system (my HT1 rears are sealed instead of ported, and mine are figured bubinga).  Jim was going to pop over to my place with my 5 speaker setup on the way to RMAF as well, but I told him if he was in a time crunch that he could put me off until his return trip instead, which he elected to do.  So my system was sitting next to yours in the truck or whatever they were using to haul speakers to Colorado. :)

Soooo... I'll have mine on next Tuesday instead! :)

gthomas

« Reply #19 on: 19 Oct 2006, 05:28 am »
You are right, yours was in the trailer.  They got a late start on Tues.  Jim thought they would be to my house here in Mexico, Missouri around noon Wed. or a little before.  They actually got here at 7pm.  They were going to try and get to KC tonight.  I'm sure you will enjoy the speakers.  They are very dynamic and reproduce HT superbly.  Music is incredible. What more can I say.

gthomas