TurnTable

stlblues

TurnTable
« on: 31 Dec 2012, 10:09 pm »
Thinking of upgrading my TT. I've got a Music Hall mmf-5 with the Goldring cartridge it came with.
Have the SS8's and a Wyred 4sound ST-500. Just trying to improve sound in all facets. I defintly prefer a warmer sound.
Is there a cartridge upgrade for this TT that will do the trick?
What do you all like with the Salks?
                                                               Happy New Year :thumb

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
Re: TurnTable
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2012, 11:31 pm »
Well, since you're in Saint Louis and so am I. . .:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112301.0   :green:

sunnydaze

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2013, 12:41 am »
Going from a $700 setup to a $9500 one....quite the jump!!     :thumb:      :lol:

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2013, 12:47 am »
Going from a $700 setup to a $9500 one....quite the jump!!     :thumb:      :lol:

Go big or stay home!   :wink:

sunnydaze

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2013, 01:07 am »
haha, love it!     Wish my wallet were bigger!

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2013, 01:59 am »
My wallet isn't big, really, but it always seems to have lots of room in it  :?

stlblues

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2013, 05:27 am »
Go big or stay home!   :wink:

Looks like I'm staying home :lol:

fsimms

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan 2013, 04:00 pm »
Thinking of upgrading my TT. I've got a Music Hall mmf-5 with the Goldring cartridge it came with.
Have the SS8's and a Wyred 4sound ST-500. Just trying to improve sound in all facets. I defintly prefer a warmer sound.
Is there a cartridge upgrade for this TT that will do the trick?
What do you all like with the Salks?

I use a Denon DLS1 with my SS10.  Most of my hundreds of LPs give me chills from the sonics.  Even music that I am not partial too give me the chills.  I would call the Denon more transparent than warm.  I use a tube preamp and a tube phonostage for getting me the warmth.  I had a AT OC9 II which also sounded fantastic and a bit warmer.  From that, I guess a moving coil might be the ticket.

Bob

rick_reynolds40

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2013, 06:53 pm »
I can second the AT OC9.  I have used it on the Music Hall 7.1.  I can also recommend the Ortofon Rondo Red or Blue.  Have used both of them as well on that table.  Any of these choices are a major step up from the Goldring in my book. 

Kinger

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2013, 07:17 pm »
My TT experience is VERY limited, but I can certainly say that my Rega P3/24 with an Ortofon blue is a great combo with the Salk ST's.  What is it about your current TT sound that you are not happy with?

stlblues

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2013, 04:54 am »
My TT experience is VERY limited, but I can certainly say that my Rega P3/24 with an Ortofon blue is a great combo with the Salk ST's.  What is it about your current TT sound that you are not happy with?

My TT experience is very limited as well. It's not so much I'm unhappy but just seeing if I can make it better. I will look into your suggestions.

sturgus

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2013, 05:33 am »
stlblues, what phonostage are you using? How much are you looking to spend on an upgrade? Have you looked at the Dynavector 10x5?

vortrex

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2013, 05:34 am »
My first table was a MMF 5.1, then a Pro-Ject Xperience Classsic, highly modded Rega P5, VPI Classic, and finally a Well Tempered Amadeus.  The WT easily beats any of those tables.  A Simplex is supposed to be very close to the sound of an Amadeus but at a lower price point.  Since WT USA is in St. Louis it should be easy for you to check them out.

mick wolfe

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jan 2013, 04:45 pm »
My first table was a MMF 5.1, then a Pro-Ject Xperience Classsic, highly modded Rega P5, VPI Classic, and finally a Well Tempered Amadeus.  The WT easily beats any of those tables.  A Simplex is supposed to be very close to the sound of an Amadeus but at a lower price point.  Since WT USA is in St. Louis it should be easy for you to check them out.

I'm in agreement on the Amadeus.  Had a VPI HW 19/ ET II, a Nottingham Interspace/Spacearm and now the WT. The Amadeus is in a league of its own. As Vortrex mentioned, the Simplex should share the same magic. 

stlblues

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jan 2013, 07:03 pm »

Well as it turns out I'm about 10 minutes from them :D I will definitely check them out. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

stlblues

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jan 2013, 07:12 pm »
stlblues, what phonostage are you using? How much are you looking to spend on an upgrade? Have you looked at the Dynavector 10x5?

Don't have a phonostage maybe you can recommend one. The 10x5 seems to have good reviews but how do I know if it will work with my Music Hall mmf-5. I was originally looking to spend around $1500 but can be flexible in either direction.

sturgus

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jan 2013, 03:43 am »
Since you live in town you can contact Mike Pranka and he can tell you if it will work or not.  Just go to the Well Tempered circle and pose the question to Mike. He is the US rep for Dyna vector and the Importer for Well Tempered. Mike is a good guy and won't steer you wrong.  As far as phonostages what is your table connected to right now? You know that there are a few analog guys in the GAS group.  Any of us would be more than happy to help you out or just talk shop. I for one would like to get a chance to hear those Salk's do their thing.

vortrex

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jan 2013, 05:25 am »
There are two good Amadeus deals on audiogon now, one in your area.

bryede

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jan 2013, 12:09 pm »
I'm currently enjoying a new Nagaoka MP-200 in my system. It's not too expensive and is really a full-bodied cart.

stlblues

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jan 2013, 05:14 pm »
There are two good Amadeus deals on audiogon now, one in your area.

Well by the time I saw this the one in my area was gone. I think I've decided to just go with a new cart at this time. I was told the Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III is a good one.
I just really need to see what kind of difference this will make rather than lay out that much money for a new table.
I will set up a listening demo with St. Louis Stereo and listen to the Amadeus when I get the chance, probably before I get the new cart.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.