Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

jimdgoulding

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #300 on: 14 Nov 2007, 07:22 am »
Is it permitted to wax nostalgic on this topic?  I really don't want to change the course here it's just that old farts like me may not have been to a concert lately.  But, trust me, I have been to some concerts, yo.  I'm bettin other old farts have, too.  No, I don't care to start a topic for old farts. 

Indulge me why don't ya . . (warning- I confess to being a little lit at this hour and perhaps more nostalgic than usual).  My wife and I decide to take a train to Chicago.  That's another story.  While in Chicago, I get to see Chris Connor, a jazz singer from my youth ("All About Ronnie" which I think is actually about another chick, BTW) but what tripped me out was a gig at a place called B.L.U.E.S. on North Halstead (I remember little details like this for some reason except for the spelling, maybe).  This was on a whim so I don't know for sure who was playing but somebody tells me it's Buddy Guy's little brother.  I don't much care.  Beer is a buck.  It's packed with enthusiastic patrons, and I'm hearing some electric blues when my wife leans over and cups my ear and says "why he f*** did you wanna bring me to a shithole like this for?".  The esthetics of the moment escaped her, obviously, so I packed her off in a cab to the Ambassador East for a nitecap at the Pump Room.  I went, too.  But I was tempted not to. 

« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2007, 07:57 am by jimdgoulding »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #301 on: 14 Nov 2007, 07:56 am »
...I don't know for sure who was playing but somebody tells me it's Buddy Guy's little brother.  I don't much care.  Beer is a buck.  It's packed with enthusiastic patrons, and I'm hearing some electric blues when my wife leans over and cups my ear and says "why he f*** did you wanna bring me to a shithole like this for?".  The esthetics of the moment escaped her, obviously, so I packed her off in a cab to the Ambassador East for a nitecap at the Pump Room.  I went, too.  But I was tempted not to. 

Man, you must be in serious love with that woman!

John

jimdgoulding

« Reply #302 on: 14 Nov 2007, 08:08 am »
Thanks for staying up late, Wind.  She still doesn't share my tastes in music.  Actually, I never met a woman who does.  I ain't complaining, tho.  So, what you been to lately?  You like jazz?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #303 on: 14 Nov 2007, 08:22 am »
I haven't been to anything in a while.  Not much into Jazz.  Your post brought back memories of when I lived in Edmonton.  There was a scummy joint called "Blues On Whyte"  packed with bikers and other model citizens where I'd like to hang.  They almost always had live music.

John

jimdgoulding

« Reply #304 on: 14 Nov 2007, 08:33 am »
Joints are the best, huh?  I can relate.  Here's a joint excursion for ya.  Fort Worth, Texas.  The place was a one room shack owned by a cat named Robert Ealey- The Bluebird Nitespot- where he and his bandmates, The Five Careless Lovers, killed people six nites a week.  Only this nite, July 4th, featured The Fabulous Thunderbirds with a horn section.  There was a water cooler serving as an air conditioner.  Fuggetaboutit!  It must have been 110 degrees in there once people hit the dance floor, what there was of it.  Oh yeah, to include me.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2007, 09:14 am by jimdgoulding »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #305 on: 14 Nov 2007, 09:11 am »
Please carry on.  Don't mind me.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2007, 11:45 pm by jimdgoulding »

Hicks

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #306 on: 15 Nov 2007, 04:18 am »

:D

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #307 on: 16 Nov 2007, 03:13 pm »
Caught Dr. John and The Lower 9-11 at The Ark in Ann Arbor, MI, last night.  Great show ... especially the slowed down version of "Walk on Guilded Splinters."  Included a short interlude with the Dr. tapping out a beat on a giant crab claw while the audience got into the rhythm by beating along on chair sides, table tops, etc.

What a great venue, too.  Very intimate with a capacity of only about 400.

ricmon

« Reply #308 on: 16 Nov 2007, 03:20 pm »
Ras Michael and the Sons of Negas at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History.  Rastafari live.

DMF

« Reply #309 on: 16 Nov 2007, 03:25 pm »
Saw the Pat Metheny Trio last Saturday. Pat on the Pikassa guitar playing "The sound of water" was the highlight of the show.

jrokke

« Reply #310 on: 20 Nov 2007, 03:31 am »
Ras Michael and the Sons of Negas at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History.  Rastafari live.

Yes... nyabinghi   aa

Hicks

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #311 on: 5 Dec 2007, 02:28 am »
Ween 11/12 Roseland Theater

Menomena 11/24 Crystal Ballroom

Good times. 

Gordy

« Reply #312 on: 5 Dec 2007, 03:50 am »
Caught Nickel Creek at the Grand Opera House back on Nov. 4th during their farewell tour, an excellent show!  We also saw the percussion/dance show Stomp last Saturday night at the local playhouse.

lazydays

« Reply #313 on: 19 Dec 2007, 08:19 am »
went to a celebration of life for the Hampton Sisters (Slide Hampton) monday night. It was a little bit oratory and about four hours of classic jazz at it's best.
There were about forty different performers (three generations of Hamptons), and the last set ended with a jam session that went on till after eleven in the evening.
gary

mjosef

« Reply #314 on: 14 Jan 2008, 05:46 am »

One long night of music...just 25$ for so much music...and people think NYC is an expensive place...  aa
I was totally exhausted after 8 hours..
Some info on who played here: http://www.winterjazzfest.com/winterjazzfest.html

rcarlton

• Mr. Waddles listening to the K-horns.
    • Ron Carlton's webpage
« Reply #315 on: 20 Jan 2008, 07:43 pm »
John Fogerty, Revival tour, at the Nokia in December, 2007. Awesome performance. Was just nominated for a Grammy so they had a small celebration. Played a lot of CCR.

Next: David "Honeyboy" Edwards Feb. 8 in Grapevine. Another Grammy celebration with complementary food!

TomS

« Reply #316 on: 27 Jan 2008, 01:24 am »
I went to see The Hot Club of San Francisco Thursday night at Hope College's Dimnent Chapel in Holland Michigan.  My college age daughter and I were in the third row right up front for the show and had a fabulous time.  Of course, seeing and hearing this kind of virtuosity in person is always a treat.  I have their Reference Recording CD and thoroughly enjoy the Gypsy Jazz repertoire of Django Rienhart and Stephane Grappelli.

For those not familiar, they are led by Paul Mehling, whose acoustic guitar work (on a Maurice DuPont from Cologne, France) was simply stunning - very beautiful and melodic.  Evan Price, better known as part of the Turtle Island Quartet, plays violin and makes it look so easy.  The instrument is just an extension of him when he plays.  They were accompanied by two rhythm guitars and an upright bass, all of which worked very well together.

The middle section of the show was called "Silent Surrealism" where they played  accompanying scores to 4 really unusual and obscure 15-20 minute silent films from the 20's and 30's.  At some point you became so lost in how the film and playing blended together it just seemed very natural (as in you didn't miss the dialog).  The last one was "The Land Beyond The Sunset", from 1912 by none other than Thomas A. Edison.  Hard to believe we were watching something made almost 100 years ago!

The huge stone Dimnent Chapel has great acoustics as well, such that they played with very little amplification.  We were close enough that all we heard was direct sound and a little from their small stage monitors.

If you like jazz/flamenco style guitar and jazz violin, and have a chance to see them in an intimate setting, this is highly recommended!  A really fun show.

Tom

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #317 on: 2 Feb 2008, 06:01 pm »
Wish the HCSF would come closer to Charlotte this year.

Have you heard any Bireli Lagrene?     http://www.amazon.com/Gipsy-Project-Friends-Bireli-Lagrene/dp/B00006JTH5

some live = http://www.youtube.com/v/K6h9QForMac&rel=1

Jumpin

« Reply #318 on: 27 Feb 2008, 02:34 pm »
Clapton Winwood last night at MSG.
Wow.  I am not the biggest Clapton fan, but last night must have been his best guitar playing of his life.  He and Winwood just seemed to be having so much fun on stage.  The song selection allowed the guys to play a large variety of songs/styles.  Very enjoyable.  Good sound, 22nd row center.  A number of songs that really elevated!

MJ

low.pfile

« Reply #319 on: 27 Feb 2008, 06:59 pm »
St. Vincent @ the Great American Music Hall, SF. Fun band.