• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Gustard X20?
« Reply #300 on: 11 Jun 2016, 03:19 am »
Awesome stuff, Chris.  :thumb:

quadman

« Reply #301 on: 11 Jun 2016, 01:24 pm »
Chris,

Very nice and you have no idea how good this dac can get.  Full AC mod per Ric with capacitor damping is a nice positive change.

I am still waiting on my power supply board before I can try the DSD512.

Be Well

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #302 on: 11 Jun 2016, 03:34 pm »
Hey Now,

Thanks guys. Without the support and shared knowledge/experience on here, Head-fi, WBF and CA I would not be listening to this level of audio for this little dollar outlay. I stayed up way too late last night and am blowing off farm chores today in the 90+ degree heat today listening to the Gustard burning in. I really cannot fathom that this can get better.

I started upsampling to DSD using JRMC and an iFi Nano sometime last year, then got Roon, HQPlayer, started upsampling to DSD128 via RPi2 NAA, then DIY Intel NUC streamer NAA up to DSD256, upgraded DAC to iFi Micro DSD and now this DAC. And it can get better? Unreal. Each step has been an improvement in overall sound quality. The fun part of this are the folks sharing the pioneering work to get this kind of quality audio with relatively low monetary outlay and being able to understand and implement much of it. And to top it all off, I have Tidal integration with Roon. It is a good time to be a music lover.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #303 on: 11 Jun 2016, 03:34 pm »
Delete

reillyzing

« Reply #304 on: 11 Jun 2016, 04:29 pm »
I feel like most of my posts are asking for comparisons but here's another.. Has anyone compared the Gustard to the NuPrime DAC-10? Thanks.. :)

mresseguie

« Reply #305 on: 11 Jun 2016, 05:33 pm »
I feel like most of my posts are asking for comparisons but here's another.. Has anyone compared the Gustard to the NuPrime DAC-10? Thanks.. :)

Yes. Aldcol and I did just this at his house a couple months ago. In fact there were 5 (I think) different DACs. If I recall correctly, we felt the DAC-10 and the X20u were comparable in performance. Now, it wasn't a thorough comparison because the Gustard had been set at the forward/lively setting (unbeknownst to me at the time) and we did not try it in the more relaxed mode. Anyway, my take away was that they were pretty close to each other in SQ and sound stage. I was happy because I had bought the Gustard for just $800 vs what the DAC-10 would have cost. With the cost savings I bought a PI Audio USB cable and a used Triode Wire Labs Digital American power cord. That made me a happy camper.

Michael

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #306 on: 11 Jun 2016, 08:02 pm »
Yes. Aldcol and I did just this at his house a couple months ago. In fact there were 5 (I think) different DACs. If I recall correctly, we felt the DAC-10 and the X20u were comparable in performance. Now, it wasn't a thorough comparison because the Gustard had been set at the forward/lively setting (unbeknownst to me at the time) and we did not try it in the more relaxed mode. Anyway, my take away was that they were pretty close to each other in SQ and sound stage. I was happy because I had bought the Gustard for just $800 vs what the DAC-10 would have cost. With the cost savings I bought a PI Audio USB cable and a used Triode Wire Labs Digital American power cord. That made me a happy camper.

Michael

Aldcoll here.  Sorry about not switching  the setting and I don't recall a big difference  but it has been a few months.
The one thing the Gustard  is shot on and that is high end detail.  Cymbal work disappears.  Check out a pipe organ piece and do a A B.  You will be shocked.

But if it weren't for that fantastic sound stage.

The DAC -10 held up well in my comparison.   Better high end.   And I will add my Parasound Z DAC has better high end then the Gustard.

Alan

PeteG

« Reply #307 on: 11 Jun 2016, 11:15 pm »

Aldcoll here.  Sorry about not switching  the setting and I don't recall a big difference  but it has been a few months.
The one thing the Gustard  is shot on and that is high end detail.  Cymbal work disappears.
Alan,
The "Sharp" filter or 70Khz on DSD didn't help you out. In my system I have all the detail I want on the top end.

quadman

« Reply #308 on: 11 Jun 2016, 11:33 pm »
I use the 70 KHz filter as well and think the highs are one of its strong suits, then again I have level 1 mod, but percussion, and highs oh boy.

mresseguie

« Reply #309 on: 12 Jun 2016, 01:02 am »

The one thing the Gustard  is shot on and that is high end detail.  Cymbal work disappears.  Check out a pipe organ piece and do a A B.  You will be shocked.

But if it weren't for that fantastic sound stage.

The DAC -10 held up well in my comparison.   Better high end.   And I will add my Parasound Z DAC has better high end then the Gustard.

Alan

It's all good, Alan. I certainly don't blame you for that setting. Back when I bought the Gustard, I knew about the different settings, but it completely slipped my mind when I was at your place. Good food, good drinks, and good conversation. You know you were a huge help in that I bought it before I was back in the States and had it sent to you. Thank you, Alan.  :thumb:

Michael
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2016, 01:57 am by mresseguie »

reillyzing

« Reply #310 on: 13 Jun 2016, 12:52 pm »

Michael
Mresseguie and aldcoll, thanks, that's definitely helpful. I'd probably favor buying the Dac-10 then.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #311 on: 13 Jun 2016, 02:29 pm »
Do all you can to try them in your home or some one close.   There is. Diffrence and as I think back I really miss that sound stage.  The unit we had might be the only one with its particular sound.  As I no longer have the unit I haven't kept up with the upgrades and that might address  what I found lacking.

Alan

ACHiPo

« Reply #312 on: 17 Jun 2016, 11:15 pm »
I've now had my X20U stop playing 2-3 times (Aurender S10 via USB and Uptone Amber).  Turning the power off then on again resets it.  Has anyone else noticed this?  I've only seen it since adding the Uptone Amber, but removing the Uptone Amber doesn't fix it, only a power cycle does, so it seems to be a problem with the Gustard.  Also I've tried skipping tracks on the Aurender from PCM to DSD and vice versa with no effect.

It's not a huge issue, but a tad annoying.

PeteG

« Reply #313 on: 17 Jun 2016, 11:30 pm »
No problems here, have you tried any other input and get the same problem.

ACHiPo

« Reply #314 on: 18 Jun 2016, 06:01 am »
No problems here, have you tried any other input and get the same problem.
Not yet.  Just the USB.

martinr

« Reply #315 on: 25 Jun 2016, 02:42 pm »
Not yet.  Just the USB.

Have you figured out the problem yet ACHiPo?...

ACHiPo

« Reply #316 on: 25 Jun 2016, 02:51 pm »
Have you figured out the problem yet ACHiPo?...
No.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.  I've had it happen once more in the last two weeks.  It's not a huge deal, but seems kinda strange.

On another front I received one of Pete's and Pi-Audio's new USB cables.  Too early for any serious review, but liking what I hear so far.

martinr

« Reply #317 on: 25 Jun 2016, 03:05 pm »
No.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.  I've had it happen once more in the last two weeks.  It's not a huge deal, but seems kinda strange.

On another front I received one of Pete's and Pi-Audio's new USB cables.  Too early for any serious review, but liking what I hear so far.

Cool....I plan to get the Gustard and a HAL 3 Server in a few weeks...will need a USB cable as well. 

If you take the plunge to have the Gustard upgraded http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Gustard_X20_Mods.html
he removes the power switch....

mresseguie

« Reply #318 on: 25 Jun 2016, 03:35 pm »
Hi, Martin.

Even though I didn't bring my Gustard on my travels, I did bring my P. I. Audio USB cord and my TWL HP Digital American PC. I don't know how or if this USB cord differs from the newly announced cord.

If we can coordinate a visit, I'll happily bring them along.  :thumb:

Michael

martinr

« Reply #319 on: 25 Jun 2016, 07:17 pm »
Hi, Martin.

Even though I didn't bring my Gustard on my travels, I did bring my P. I. Audio USB cord and my TWL HP Digital American PC. I don't know how or if this USB cord differs from the newly announced cord.

If we can coordinate a visit, I'll happily bring them along.  :thumb:

Michael

Hi Michael,

That would be great...Id love to hear the difference in your digital front end compared to my disc spinning set up!

Let me know when you can make it!

- Martin