Never thought I could like Jazz

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
Re: Never thought I could like Jazz
« Reply #40 on: 8 Oct 2011, 09:16 pm »
  So one night I decide to play the Ken Burns doc on Jazz(NETFLIX). It's 9 hours. By the end I am HOOKED and jonesing to listen to some REAL jazz.

Ken Burns does excellent documentaries, including his recent one on Prohibition, but I couldn't take his doc on Jazz because if focussed so much on big names. The great jazz artists were great indeed, but as you explore jazz more I hope you find as I did that the little known and often forgotten ones were terrific. Hampton Hawes, Ike Quebec, Sonny Stitt, Gene Ammons, Jimmy Hamilton, Booker Little, and many, many more did some wonderful recordings. When you've heard some of these, go back to the Burns documentary and i think you'll agree that he did the right thing in getting people like you interested in jazz, but at the same time he may have done a disservice to many jazz artists. As I recall, he said not one word about one of the best ever, Bill Evans.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2011, 11:34 pm by DaveNote »

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #41 on: 8 Oct 2011, 09:58 pm »
My reply is more or less on topic but here is a recent jazz album that in my view is easy to like and you can listen to the whole thing on line and buy it if you please.  No relation to me.  I bought it .  The first three are especially good...

http://efajrtrio.bandcamp.com/

Rclark

« Reply #42 on: 15 Jan 2012, 12:53 pm »
I maintain that jazz is that one genre that requires a super nice system to enjoy properly. I haven't listened to jazz for quite a while as my system was in various states of repair or upgrade, hence my absence from this thread. But since I got my maggies back, and my amp is working right, etc, etc, jazz has been in heavy rotation.

Paul Heroy

« Reply #43 on: 16 Feb 2012, 09:27 pm »
Just found this thread and as a long time jazz fan, very glad to see others discovering this great music and getting it. (Especially the REAL stuff and not the "smooth" pop stuff.)

To me, one of the great things about jazz is that it's both a pure and mongrel art form. By that I mean, it's pure in a musical sense in that mostly it is making music for the love of music, not to be a star or get rich. But it's a mongrel in that there are so many different styles and sounds - and that gives the benefit that there are a lot of different entry points. Some will be immediately entranced by the iconic sound of a Coltrane, Monk, Mingus, Miles etc. but others may need to be sort of eased over to let their ears "tune up" a bit to the sound of jazz.

If you're into metal, there is some great fusion with awesome guitar playing by the likes of Allan Holdsworth, Scott Henderson, John McLaughlin, Dave Fiuczynski and many others. If you're used to vocals, there are of course plenty of great singers. I love a lot of jazz that includes influences from music around the world like African, Middle Eastern and of course the nearly as old as jazz itself Latin jazz sounds.

The fact that the history of jazz basically coincides with the history of recording music means that virtually the entire history is available on record, which can be pretty overwhelming and intimidating. One of the classic bits of advice to deal with this is to find a Miles Davis record and, if you like it, find out who played on it and look for records made by those guys. There's a lot of truth in this because of the way Miles never stood still musically and was at the forefront of half a dozen different styles, and at the same time was not just a great musician himself but one of the best talent scouts and never afraid to surround himself with incredibly talented people.

Rclark

« Reply #44 on: 16 Feb 2012, 09:32 pm »
Oh that's a good tip. I was actually just now listening to my jazz collection and thinking it was time to expand it.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #45 on: 16 Feb 2012, 09:49 pm »
Paul is a very wise man. I like him.  :thumb:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #46 on: 2 Apr 2012, 01:16 pm »
Yeah, my current explorations are:
Wadada Leo Smith: Red Sulpher, Kulture Jazz, and Reflectivity.
Rufus Reed: Your's and Mine
Wallace Roney: No room for argument
So I guess you could say i have moved up from the 1950's into something more obtuse?  :lol:
I sold a few Jazz titles I found boring. Even Miles Davis Live at the Plugged Nickel was just too much noodling and not interesting enough to keep around.
I have to say most Miles Davis is pretty interesting, but Live at the Plugged Nickel box set was hours of not entertaining..

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #47 on: 2 Apr 2012, 01:21 pm »
A buddy of mine recently turned me onto Kurt Denson and Joshua Redman.
My....oh....my.....  8)

mfsoa

« Reply #48 on: 2 Apr 2012, 04:05 pm »
But it's a mongrel in that there are so many different styles and sounds

I used to criticized in high school because I only liked jazz (Ellington to Mahavishnu etc.) and classical music while my friends liked Lynyrd Skynrd AND The Marshall Tucker Band  :lol:

stlrman

« Reply #49 on: 3 Apr 2012, 12:21 am »
Joshua Redman is one bad ass sax player! I have 3 or 4of his CDs
I am also a big Stanley Turrintine fan!

Rclark

« Reply #50 on: 3 Apr 2012, 03:32 am »
I used to criticized in high school because I only liked jazz (Ellington to Mahavishnu etc.) and classical music while my friends liked Lynyrd Skynrd AND The Marshall Tucker Band  :lol:

Turns out you were the cool one!  :green:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #51 on: 3 Apr 2012, 03:33 am »
I never thought I could like jazz too.  Turns out I was right!