Emerald just arrived

Capt. Z

Emerald just arrived
« on: 30 Dec 2007, 09:06 pm »
I've got some ACI Sapphire II speakers I bought in the early 90's. I modded them first with the Kevlar tweeter and when the Sapphire III version came out I replaced the tweeter with a SS 9500 and Ace's crossover for the Sapphire III.. Later on I changed the value of one coil going to the mid driver (with the help of Mike) to warm up the sound of the Sapphire III a little.

Recently I switched the tubes in my amp from EL34 to KT77, which allowed me to turn up the volume much higher without the sound distorting (EL34 tend to 'saturate' when driven hard, KT77 stay clean). That's when I noticed a vibration noise in my right Sapphire III speaker.

Just a few weeks ago I stumbled across a pair of Emerald (I believe it is the SE version - got those two wood panels on the side) for a very good price.

Well, un-hooked the Sapphire III and hooked up the Emeralds. WOW, didn't know that a speaker that low priced can sound that good.

First impression was that the Emerald is leaner sounding than my modded Sapphire, but the upper end is well extended, adding more detail and 'snap' to the music, which I always missed with the SS tweeter in the Sapphire III. But than on the contrary, the Vifa tweeter can get a little harsh when driven hard.

It would be great if the openness and 'snap' of the Vifa driver could be somehow combined with the smoothness of the SS driver.

Well, the mid driver of my Sapphire III is off for re-coming and some check up. After that I propably swap the Sapphire III and the Emerald back and forth, using each other strength at different times, depending on the music I listen to.

Great little speakers. Love the small size and they look soooooo cuuuuuuuuuute.
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2007, 09:57 pm by Capt. Z »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Emerald just arrived
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2007, 09:54 pm »
They are great sounding speakers. :thumb:
I believe yours are the standard version.

Lin
PS  I would like to hear the new Emerald XL.  :wink:

Capt. Z

Re: Emerald just arrived
« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2007, 10:04 pm »
Just searched the internet and found out that these are the LE version.

Here is a link with pictures and review:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/aciemerald_e.html