Recommend preamp/amp for new ACI speaker owner

EveningSky

Re: Recommend preamp/amp for new ACI speaker owner
« Reply #20 on: 2 Dec 2007, 02:04 am »
Yes Mike D, I have an old Onkyo, 35W per channel. 
I will try this amp with my new speakers as you suggest. 
Yours, ES

Lkdog

« Reply #21 on: 2 Dec 2007, 06:56 am »
The Odyssey units have a transferable 20 year warranty from first owner.
Klaus will still work with you even if you are the third or fourth owner.
I would not worry about buying any used Odyssey gear.

Not trying to shill for them-your other choices are all quite good, but the value and quality for the money of Odyssey gear is in same league as ACI in speakers-amazing.

Good luck.

Photon46

« Reply #22 on: 2 Dec 2007, 12:38 pm »
ES, you have my sympathy regarding the confusion this thread has induced. Consumers have so many choices in every product category it is mind numbing. I think your analogy to a political debate is very true.  We use politics and our consumer choices to define who we are in society and defend these viewpoints with much vehemence. A real problem with opinions on websites like this is that objectivity and the range of experience of posting commentators is usually a big unknown. Your observation that opinions are so variable, even in lower priced gear, can be explained by several things.  First, I'm convinced we all must hear or experience music reproduction in different ways. Whether this is variability in our ear/brain interface or psychological, I don't know. Otherwise, how can two experienced listeners hear products like the Gallo 3.1's or Von Schweikert Vr4 (for example) in the same environment and have radically different impressions of product competence? This happens ALL the time. Secondly, we tend to forget that audio systems don't operate in a vacuum, they interact with the listening room and the room is a component too. Maybe the most important component.  Also, there is a crapshoot as to whether gear is going function together in harmonious synergy that corresponds with ones priorities of sound reproduction. My advice to you would be to accept that you've got to build an audio knowledge base and this takes some time. When I started this crazy obsession 30 years ago, I knew nothing (and couldn't afford much more than that.) Buying decisions were admittedly a lot simpler then too, not nearly so many choices. I read constantly, learned what reviewers had priorities similar to mine and used those opinions as a helpful guide to buying decisions. I still got stuck with a couple of purchases that didn't work out too well, but that's why you're getting advice to always purchase from sellers who give you a trial period in your home.

Eric

« Reply #23 on: 2 Dec 2007, 11:32 pm »
I have used many combinations with ACI speakers (from tubes to solidstate). There are many fine combinations that will serve you well

Lkdog

« Reply #24 on: 3 Dec 2007, 04:06 am »
I have used many combinations with ACI speakers (from tubes to solidstate). There are many fine combinations that will serve you well

Good point. Remember you are on an audio forum where people are obsessive.  :)
I have heard ACI setups with cheap receivers and very nice pre/amp setups.
It all sounds good. ACI speakers are good enough to keep sounding better the better your source/preamp/power.

Good luck with your search.
« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2007, 03:55 pm by Lkdog »

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #25 on: 3 Dec 2007, 02:15 pm »
Yes Mike D, I have an old Onkyo, 35W per channel. 
I will try this amp with my new speakers as you suggest. 
Yours, ES

ES:

A lot of good advice has been given. I believe you're on the right track now. Hook the up to that Onkyo, run them in well, and start listening. If room permits, mess around with getting the placement nailed down, enjoy your music and you'll start to hear and know how you want to progress from this point.  Drop back in here and tell us what you're experiencing and I'm sure you'll get lots more excellent advice. Enjoy the journey!

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #26 on: 3 Dec 2007, 03:10 pm »
Here is my 2cents.
I would make the seller an offer on these,

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1200607987

and this,

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1200102334

These would make a killer combination with your Panorama's
You would be off to a great start and then down the road you can have them upgraded!
Good luck!