Will the Schiit Mani 2 work with the set 120 control amp?

TomBo

Re: Will the Schiit Mani 2 work with the set 120 control amp?
« Reply #20 on: 15 Feb 2024, 07:56 pm »
I may be an outlier lurking in an audiophile forum. I prescribe more to the "listen to the music" vs "listen to the gear"... I once modified a set of B&W DM640 speakers with a crossover tweak from none-other than Frank Van Alstine that in the opinion of some sounded better than the mega-buck Matrix 80x's and certainly better than the early 801's.... All I can say is Bless You Frank and Team - I have never regretted spending my hard-earned money on your gear that punches (always) well above its price point that has let me enjoy the music first and foremost in a palatable way - emotion, nuance, and every other descriptor you often hear. Every time. 

TomBo

« Reply #21 on: 16 Feb 2024, 12:22 am »
Close up of the B&W DM640's - safely stored and not far away...

toocool4

« Reply #22 on: 16 Feb 2024, 05:00 pm »
My question is not relevant to the question of Shiit Mani 2/SET 120 combo, but I am confused about the new Schiit phono preamp - specifically that the settings on the phono preamp can be changed via remote control. I can see that this would be useful if you want to listen to a particular cartridge with different impedance or capacitance settings, but what is the point of having a remote for this purpose if it's to accommodate different cartridges?

My previous phonostage was a Rega Ios, it had all the controls on the front. I loved it, as Calypte said I can set a new cartridge on the fly and hear the result instantly. I don’t have to remember the sound before as I hear it instantly, I had a friend adjust it for me so I can sit and hear it.
I know it’s not something you change all the time, yes setting the loading on a cartridge is a set it and forget it thing, but it’s so much easier when you are setting up to just change on the fly.

I have never had a phonostage with dip switches, hated those fiddly things. Once you get a phonostage with controls on the from or in this case with remote, you are never going back to dip switches.

I have now gone one better; I have a new phonostage which is transimpedance. It’s a current mode phonostage, so I don’t to do anything as it gets all the info it needs from the cartridge itself, so it sets everything up correctly for the cartridge.

I am now using Channel D's Lino C 3.3 phonostage.

avahifi

« Reply #23 on: 16 Feb 2024, 08:53 pm »
To switch phono gain on the fly, simply run the Vision Q+ with the cover off. No big deal.

Frank