STA-9

rustydoglim

Re: STA-9
« Reply #60 on: 25 Apr 2016, 02:21 pm »
The warmer component will always influence the sound.
Amp will have more influence on the sound characteristic then DAC.

So, by the above logic, going from most neutral to warmth will be
DAC-10 + ST-10
DAC-10 + STA-9
DAC-9 + STA-9

Keep in mind that any among of coloration is due to addition of even order harmonics which no doubt will increase the noise floor. You can't say I want the warmth but I still want my -130db noise floor. 

John Casler

« Reply #61 on: 25 Apr 2016, 11:32 pm »
The warmer component will always influence the sound.
Amp will have more influence on the sound characteristic then DAC.

So, by the above logic, going from most neutral to warmth will be
DAC-10 + ST-10
DAC-10 + STA-9
DAC-9 + STA-9

Keep in mind that any among of coloration is due to addition of even order harmonics which no doubt will increase the noise floor. You can't say I want the warmth but I still want my -130db noise floor.

This is EXCELLENT advice and information.

I might also comment on a couple things.

First:  I am under the impression that even order harmonics are often measured as "noise" or distortions.  So don't let that fool you into thinking the STA-9, or the MCH K-38 are "noisy".  Even though the specs might suggest higher noise, in operation you notice nothing of the sort.

Second: Regarding "tube like" sound of the AMPS = Please know, that in the case of these amps, tube like "does not" mean syrupy, lacking highs, lacking transparency, lacking bass, etc.

I have recently spent a LOT of time listening to the MCH K-38 in bridged mode, running a 2 channel system (currently just turning off the other channels)

The results are ASTONISHING!!!

I will soon post some of my findings, and some of you may think me "over the top", but what I am hearing is so far beyond impressive, that GIANT KILLER is not even close to an adequate description.

And Rustydoglim's assessment of mixing and matching is SPOT ON.

If you have edgy aggressive speakers, the DAC-9/STA-9 are for you.

If your speakers are less than sparkly, the DAC-10/ST-10 will light your fire.

« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2016, 04:14 pm by John Casler »

rustydoglim

« Reply #62 on: 26 Apr 2016, 04:07 pm »
MCH-K38 is a beast!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #63 on: 26 Apr 2016, 05:08 pm »
This is EXCELLENT advice and information.

I might also comment on a couple things.

First:  I am under the impression that even order harmonics are often measured as "noise" or distortions.  So don't let that fool you into thinking the STA-9, or the MCH K-38 are "noisy".  Even though the specs might suggest higher noise, in operation you notice nothing of the sort.

Second: Regarding "tube like" sound of the AMPS = Please know, that in the case of these amps, tube like "does not" mean syrupy, lacking highs, lacking transparency, lacking bass, etc.

I have recently spent a LOT of time listening to the MCH K-38 in bridged mode, running a 2 channel system (currently just turning off the other channels)

The results are ASTONISHING!!!

I will soon post some of my findings, and some of you may think me "over the top", but what I am hearing is so far beyond impressive, that GIANT KILLER is not even close to an adequate description.

And Rustydoglim's assessment of mixing and matching is SPOT ON.

If you have edgy aggressive speakers, the DAC-9/STA-9 are for you.

If your speakers are less than sparkly, the DAC-10/ST-10 will light your fire.

John,

This Friday when I show up to audition gear, you're going to get either support from me or a splash of cold water. LOL!

We're in Crescent City checking out the Coast Redwoods till tomorrow or Wednesday. See you Friday afternoon. The ST-10 and DAC-10 made it through the night safely.

Correct me if I'm wrong, there is a switch on the DAC-10 that toggles between brighter/more forward and more laid back, yes? Alan mentioned it after his GTG, but I haven't verified this.

Michael

John Casler

« Reply #64 on: 26 Apr 2016, 11:17 pm »
John,

This Friday when I show up to audition gear, you're going to get either support from me or a splash of cold water. LOL!

We're in Crescent City checking out the Coast Redwoods till tomorrow or Wednesday. See you Friday afternoon. The ST-10 and DAC-10 made it through the night safely.

Correct me if I'm wrong, there is a switch on the DAC-10 that toggles between brighter/more forward and more laid back, yes? Alan mentioned it after his GTG, but I haven't verified this.

Michael

Hi Michael,

It will depend on how good your ears and listening skills are, and your listening preferences.

So hot. warm and cold water are all good. :) 

The adjustment on the DAC-10 is for "high output" and "low output" for both the preamp section, and the headphone section.

It actually doesn't change the sound or accuracy.  It changes the voltage output from 2v to 4v on RCA, and 4v to 8v on XLR.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #65 on: 27 Apr 2016, 02:14 am »
John,

Under what circumstances would a person desire to use the high output or low output setting?

JackD

« Reply #66 on: 27 Apr 2016, 02:46 am »
Michael

The low setting is based on the industry standard of 2 volts and 4 volts.  I don't know what purpose the high setting would serve as I have never had the urge to try it.  I don't have nor have I ever had an amp whose input sensitivity was that bad.  I'm sure Jason's people had something in mind.

rustydoglim

« Reply #67 on: 28 Apr 2016, 06:01 pm »
It is mainly for the headphone amp.

John Casler

« Reply #68 on: 28 Apr 2016, 06:21 pm »
Michael

The low setting is based on the industry standard of 2 volts and 4 volts.  I don't know what purpose the high setting would serve as I have never had the urge to try it.  I don't have nor have I ever had an amp whose input sensitivity was that bad.  I'm sure Jason's people had something in mind.

As per Rustydoglim, the primary function is for the headphones, but I have used both on the preamp side and prefer the higher output.

That said, one might also find the lower outputs more favorable to very high efficiency speakers, which are so sensitive as to amplify noise in the chain.

That then would also hold true that for less efficient speakers maybe having a benefit from the HIGH setting.

But do keep in mind, that 2v RCA and 4v XLR is basically normal output.

kevb

« Reply #69 on: 29 Apr 2016, 11:59 am »
Just bought the STA-9 to try it out in my main system.  Right now the only point of reference for power amps that I have to compare it to is a DIY (Rawson) amp and a pair of Crown XLS2500's.  If I like what I hear from the STA-9, I will probably pick up a second one to run as monoblocks in bridged mode.

I also have the IDA-8 here (still love it as much as when I first bought it), and a couple of other integrateds (Jungson, Jolida)

I will post my impressions on the STA-9 here after spending some time with it.

drumnman2

« Reply #70 on: 6 May 2016, 12:13 pm »
Please let us know if you feel going to 2 mono amps improve the sound quality. I have been enjoying an sta 9 for a few months and am considering doing the same.

Anyone ???

John Casler

« Reply #71 on: 6 May 2016, 08:16 pm »

Anyone ???

Yes, and far more than just upping the power.

Bridging does "some kind of magic" to the STA-9 and K-38 amps.

Check out the specs, even the distortion "halves:thumb:  In most amp designs, it would DOUBLE!!!

Very soon, I will be reporting on what I have found about the STA-9 and K-38.

GIANT KILLER doesn't come close to describing the Sonic Qualities of these amps when bridged. 

Try it, you'll like it (as long as your gear, room, and hearing will allow you to hear it. :green:

kbouldk

« Reply #72 on: 8 May 2016, 12:34 pm »
Yes, and far more than just upping the power.

Bridging does "some kind of magic" to the STA-9 and K-38 amps.

Check out the specs, even the distortion "halves:thumb:  In most amp designs, it would DOUBLE!!!

Very soon, I will be reporting on what I have found about the STA-9 and K-38.

GIANT KILLER doesn't come close to describing the Sonic Qualities of these amps when bridged. 

Try it, you'll like it (as long as your gear, room, and hearing will allow you to hear it. :green:

Can't wait to read your report. Had a STA9/DAC9 for little more than a week now. Love it!
Being the person I am, I already started dreaming about this upgrade.
Of course it would have to do more than just looking great, but it will look fantastic on the table top under the TV, in line with the DAC in the middle.
I don't need it louder as it already plays very loud. Bit worried about the speakers thogh - they are only 140W, so it could be a dangerous setup?

Eisener Bart

« Reply #73 on: 12 May 2016, 10:27 pm »
Hmm,

STA-9 gives more warm sound - it looks like a good choice in my case.

The question is:

if I will take 2 pcs of STA-9, how can use it for bi-amping? I mean - 1 stereo amp for 1 speaker.
I removed original interconnect between 2 pairs of connectors of my speakers about 1 month ago when I could buy a piece of same speaker cable (Acoustic Revive - SPC Reference). Thus I am feeding now 2 speakers from 1 stereo amp using bi-wiring.

I have only 1 XLR output on my AMR DP-777. I can't use RCA output simultaneously, it will be too long from Rack to speakers. Output voltage from XLR is more than 2 V. No data regarding anything else.   

rustydoglim

« Reply #74 on: 13 May 2016, 06:09 am »
I think in general, a more powerful and better sounding amp will always be better than bi-amping (cost of cables and amps). And bi-wiring has questionable improvement. Therefore

if I will take 2 pcs of STA-9, how can use it for bi-amping? I mean - 1 stereo amp for 1 speaker.
Configure STA-9 in mono mode instead of using the stereo amp for bi-amping.  The product page went into design details about why mono mode actually sounded better, besides offering a staggering 290W RMS power.

I removed original interconnect between 2 pairs of connectors of my speakers about 1 month ago when I could buy a piece of same speaker cable (Acoustic Revive - SPC Reference). Thus I am feeding now 2 speakers from 1 stereo amp using bi-wiring.

See above. With two STA-9 amps, you can compare bi-amping versus mono amps.

I have only 1 XLR output on my AMR DP-777. I can't use RCA output simultaneously, it will be too long from Rack to speakers. Output voltage from XLR is more than 2 V. No data regarding anything else.   

Just go with mono amps on each side.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #75 on: 13 May 2016, 07:41 am »
I think in general, a more powerful and better sounding amp will always be better than bi-amping (cost of cables and amps). And bi-wiring has questionable improvement.

In my case is better.

Configure STA-9 in mono mode instead of using the stereo amp for bi-amping.  The product page went into design details about why mono mode actually sounded better, besides offering a staggering 290W RMS power.
Obviously.

See above. With two STA-9 amps, you can compare bi-amping versus mono amps.

Just go with mono amps on each side.

I want to arrange 4 amping channels for 2 speakers.
1 mono block for 1 speaker - in this case I have put back original interconnector, which I don't like.
SPC Reference works better than original silver wire.

How I will drive by 4 channels if 1 have only 1 pair of XLR output?

rustydoglim

« Reply #76 on: 13 May 2016, 08:57 am »
Custom order is another possibility.  We are planning to offer NuPrime Custom Audio as an extension of the retail products. It is not meant to be a replacement but complementary offering.
This is a good case for our factory and engineering to figure out.
We want to be able to let customer drive multiple amps (either using MCH-K38 or an array of STA-9) for music listening or commercial installation, without compromising the sound quality.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #77 on: 13 May 2016, 09:15 am »
Custom order is another possibility.  We are planning to offer NuPrime Custom Audio as an extension of the retail products. It is not meant to be a replacement but complementary offering.
This is a good case for our factory and engineering to figure out.
We want to be able to let customer drive multiple amps (either using MCH-K38 or an array of STA-9) for music listening or commercial installation, without compromising the sound quality.

I have opportunity to upgrade my balance cable matter to drive 4 channels using only 1 pair of XLR output.
I got consultation today from one person but I wanna get advices from 2 other engineers.

Output voltage definitely from AMR DP-777 should be enough to drive 4 amping channels.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #78 on: 13 May 2016, 10:21 pm »
Eisener: what speakers are you attempting to drive? The way you're describing things doesn't quite add up. Are you still amping into the internal speaker crossover?

Output voltage shouldn't matter at all when driving multiple channels. Voltage is not split between the two amps.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #79 on: 14 May 2016, 11:57 am »
Output voltage shouldn't matter at all when driving multiple channels. Voltage is not split between the two amps.
Yeah, you are right. I meant enough current.

My Speakers are Audio Physic Avanti.