Any fans of MHz Mysteries out there ?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Any fans of MHz Mysteries out there ?
« on: 20 Nov 2018, 03:10 pm »
Thanks to one of my local PBS stations I'm able to watch the European based MHz networks offerings. Locally from 6 PM to 12 PM they broadcast mysteries & cop dramas from Italy to Sweden. All subtitled of course, but great shows none the less. It's also interesting to see the tone/presentation variations of the different countries. Generally speaking the southern shows are 'lighter' & brighter, than those moving north, with some of the darkest offerings coming from Scandinavia. The writing and acting are stellar in most cases, and one gets the chance to pick up a little of the language with enough viewing.

Along with the show itself you generally get some background on the writers, actors, and locales. One offering that may be familiar to some is Wallander. The latest version being a BBC show, broadcast on PBS, with Sir Kenneth Branagh who approached the folks who held the story rights to obtain permission. Based on a Swedish novel series there were 2 previous releases with other actors, both very well done. As a bonus, from 12 PM to 6 PM they broadcast world news. DW (Deustche Welle) and France 24, the English offerings. If you want to see what's going on around the world, this is the place.

So any other watchers ? What are your favorites ? A few of mine are:  Montalbano, & Dom Matteo [think Father Brown in Italian, with Terence Hill. You might know Hill from the classic spaghetti western My Name is Nobody, with Henry Fonda]  (Italy), Fog & Crimes (Germany), Beck (Sweden), The Undertaker (Switzerland). The shows rotate in & out, and repeat at least twice over the course of a day. It is available as a streaming service, so if that's your cup 'o tea you might check it out that way. 

Happy viewing.  :thumb: