AV123 RS550's and Bigfoot, MODIFIED Including other X-Series Speakers

Danny Richie

So what about other options? X-SLS/MTM or X-Statik would match well with the X-Voce I have. Again, this is just for the living room so not looking to drop a lot of cash. I'm not super keen on building a set of speakers myself, though, don't have a lot of time currently.

Scott

The X-Statik is the matching speaker.

We might be able to find you someone in the North West area that might be willing to knock you out some cabinets.

skeeter99

Yeah I had the X-Statik's before and really enjoyed them. Like so many other speakers I've gone through, can't remember why I sold them! If someone would be willing do some some cabs for me I'd be down for that.

skeeter99

Hey Danny, I read over in the Elac thread that you stock the tweeters and crossovers to make an X-LS Classic into an Encore? Do you still stock those? There's a really pretty set of X-LS' in Piano Rosewood locally I'm thinking of picking up.

Scott

Danny Richie

Hey Danny, I read over in the Elac thread that you stock the tweeters and crossovers to make an X-LS Classic into an Encore? Do you still stock those? There's a really pretty set of X-LS' in Piano Rosewood locally I'm thinking of picking up.

Scott

I can fix you up. I have Encore tweeters with the Classic face plate size so the tweeters drop right in. You'll have to assemble the crossovers for them though. I no longer have the pre-built Encore crossovers.

skeeter99

Cool. I might pick these PR X-LS up.

Anyone here in the PNW wanna build me some cabinets for a pair of X-Statiks??  :popcorn:

skeeter99

I picked up the PR X-LS'. They'd been used MAYBE 10 times and are in perfect shape, even better shape than the ones I sold a couple years ago!

I'll send you an email Danny about the tweeters and crossovers for these.

So I'm progressing and I think I might want to do Satin or Piano Rosewood X-Statik and X-Voce cabinets. I talked to Jay last night and he's not available. Does anyone have other ideas? Maybe there's a good custom builder somewhere here in the PNW??

Nick77

I picked up the PR X-LS'. They'd been used MAYBE 10 times and are in perfect shape, even better shape than the ones I sold a couple years ago!

I'll send you an email Danny about the tweeters and crossovers for these.

So I'm progressing and I think I might want to do Satin or Piano Rosewood X-Statik and X-Voce cabinets. I talked to Jay last night and he's not available. Does anyone have other ideas? Maybe there's a good custom builder somewhere here in the PNW??

Ummmm you forgot to attach photos. :)    :popcorn:

skeeter99

Ummmm you forgot to attach photos. :)    :popcorn:

They're out in my car, I'll have to get some when I get home. I know, I'm fired!

skeeter99

Just got them plugged in, I still had my old stands with the proper tops to bolt the speakers to the stands so they're all nice and snug. Even with the old tweeter I forgot how good these things sound!

« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2019, 04:10 pm by skeeter99 »

Nick77

Looking good, nice score!  :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Still love my pair of PR X-LS's!  :D

chip

Those look sharp!

skeeter99

Thanks guys! I've got a little polishing to do with some special compound I have but im pretty happy! Already ordered the encore tweeters and upgraded crossovers. Took about 15 min after picking them up to order! Haha!

apstoltz

Very nice, I had a set of x-sls in palisamder that I loved. Anyone in the Midwest that has a set I would have interest in buying. For me they would be perfect in my office setup.

skeeter99

Very nice, I had a set of x-sls in palisamder that I loved. Anyone in the Midwest that has a set I would have interest in buying. For me they would be perfect in my office setup.

I really like the X-SLS. I had a set in Palisander also, I sold them along with an X-CS to my brother in law and he loves them! Was just at his house last night admiring them :D

It's getting harder and harder to find AV123 speakers. I think most have been sold from the original owners to 2nd or 3rd owners at this point and they don't seem to be the ones that participate in forums so finding any is tough! I was shocked that I found the PR X-LS locally. The guy was driving through Redmond were I work so I had to drive all of 3 minutes to pick them up :D

skeeter99

Ok, so double check this, please. Yes yes I know, I don't have the red and white positive and negative wires in this yet but from a rough layout, is this correct? Meaning, do I need to flip anything around, make certain pieces vertical instead of horizontal? It's been a long time since I've built a crossover so forgive the newbness :D

Tweeter circuit:

Woofer circuit:

Here is a crossover set I built for a different set of bookshelf speakers so forgive the rudimentary nature of this layout thus far. I need help to get to where I need to be and have them look nice!

« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2019, 04:22 pm by skeeter99 »

Captainhemo

Just be sure not lay  the inductor  from the high pass (tweeter) circuit on it's side   close to the   low pass inductor on it's side..... better  to stand the small one up   and orientate so that if it were to roll, it would roll right into the center  of the large inductor on it's side
there's  a diagram in the crossover 101  sticky you  can refer to if the above  doesn't make sense

Personally, I'd  also add a .1 uF bypass cap tothe  cap in the low pass  both the Sonicap G2's  and  vishay Rodersteins  are   inexpensive and  both work  well, for the  few  bucks it's  worth  it
jay

skeeter99

Just be sure not lay  the inductor  from the high pass (tweeter) circuit on it's side   close to the   low pass inductor on it's side..... better  to stand the small one up   and orientate so that if it were to roll, it would roll right into the center  of the large inductor on it's side
there's  a diagram in the crossover 101  sticky you  can refer to if the above  doesn't make sense

Personally, I'd  also add a .1 uF bypass cap tothe  cap in the low pass  both the Sonicap G2's  and  vishay Rodersteins  are   inexpensive and  both work  well, for the  few  bucks it's  worth  it
jay

Ok, so showing my newb, the inductor is the big copper coil right? Just place it vertically? I was figuring I'd have to do something like that ...

These are the parts Danny sent me. What would the bypass cap on the woofer circuit do?

Captainhemo

yeah,    each  leg  has an inductor, the   coils....   stand the small one up  and  orientate as I  noted above.
the bypass caps just help  discharge/charge rates of the  larger  caps.
Looks like you've already got   a g2  wrpapped around the high pass cap,  I'd do the same  with  the low pass  cap..  You don't have to, but  at a totlal cost of  <$10,   .....  I never hesitate to add them
jay

skeeter99

yeah,    each  leg  has an inductor, the   coils....   stand the small one up  and  orientate as I  noted above.
the bypass caps just help  discharge/charge rates of the  larger  caps.
Looks like you've already got   a g2  wrpapped around the high pass cap,  I'd do the same  with  the low pass  cap.

jay

Ok so does the X-Voce have the bypass on the woofer circuit too. I've got the X-Voce for center now and the closer I match the two the better.