REVIEW: Octal 6A Triplex preamp

amandarae

« on: 12 Jul 2003, 01:11 am »
Love You MADdly

A Review Of The Maple Audio Design (MAD) Octal 6A Triplex Preamp

by Abe R. Revilla

An audio enthusiast surfing the net with money to spare is dangerous!  Stumbling to a web site that offers special pricing on a well-designed tube preamp is financially disastrous?  Not really if what you got in the end justifies your conviction, your wallet, and your ears in this case.  

I was intrigued by the MAD Octal 6A Triplex (a new version that preserves all the positive attributes of the previous Octal 6) preamp the first time I stumbled upon it on the MAD web site (hollowstate.com; pretty clever in my opinion).  To my surprise, they are currently having a special deal on a single pre-assembled Octal 6A Triplex unit.   So I called Dr. Lloyd Peppard, designer and proprietor of Maple Audio Design (MAD), right away to ask several questions.  I find Dr. Lloyd (as he prefers to be called, and at first I was stubbornly calling him “George”) to be very accommodating and knowledgeable not only in the technical aspects of his products but also in treating curious passerby’s who happen to call him to ask about the product.  At the end of our conversation, I was very satisfied and impressed, so I place my order for the Octal 6A preamp with the Alps volume control option.

After 7 days, the preamp arrived.   Upon opening the box and examining the product, I was taken aback on how pretty the physical features (aesthetics) of this preamp happen to have.  I thought the picture of the Octal 6A Triplex preamp on the web site is gorgeous.  But when it is actually in front of you, the picture does not do an ounce of justice at all.  

A concise description of the Octal 6A Triplex preamp with regard to the 3 circuit topologies, input/output, source selector, level controls, tubes use and a picture of their respective positions on the preamp, parts replacement list, specifications, safety and operation as well as an schematic (calling all tweakers!) are all in the manual including sources for tube replacements.   Dr. Lloyd’s company phone, fax and e-mail are included just in case you want to ask him about something, preferably with regard to his product of course.  The manual is so informative and reflects the simplicity of the over all design concept use for the preamp. What more could you ask for?

I do not know how Dr. Lloyd makes money with this preamp.  At $435 including shipping in my case, I cannot fathom the business strategy why the price is so low.  The preamp definitely passes the WAF.  Now, let see how it sound.

For a tube preamp newbie like myself, precautions 101 on how tube circuitry works during turn “On” and turn “Off” is a necessity.  Keeping in mind that an amp (Odyssey monos in my case) whose bandwidth starts at DC to a certain frequency (so I heard i.e. DC to 100 kHz. for example) will produce a “thump” that will move your bowels when the tube preamp not incorporated with a mute circuitry is turned “Off” ahead of the main amplifier.   Dr. Lloyd’s advice is to wait, for about thirty seconds or so, before turning the main amp “On” and turn the main amp “Off” before the preamp.  At first, I was confused about this method.   Not because I did not understand it but many users of my main amp claims that the amp should always be left “On” to provide the best performance.  In my experienced from owning the amps for 9 months now, I would say that keeping them “On” all the time really works wonders on it.  
So, my solution to this contradiction is to leave the Octal 6A preamp “On” all the time as well.  My research with regards to the tube life of the tubes use on the preamp indicates that it will take Three years before I need to replace them if they are left “On” continuously.   At approximately $45 including shipment for all the tubes at the current market rate, no problemo!  Also, switching to Passive mode separates the tube sections from input and output circuit.  Turning it “Off” in this mode also eliminates the “thump” or “pop” even if the main amp is on as long as you wait 30 seconds or longer.  But what’s the big deal, I’ll keep it “on” all the time because it makes me happy seeing the tubes glowing in the dark.

During the initial power “on”, (inserting the tubes and powering up the system) I noticed that one of the 12J5GT’s (Left channel) filament is not glowing.  Moving the specific tube to the Right socket gives the same result so I called Dr. Lloyd right away.   Upon mentioning this problem, he said he will send me a replacement tube ASAP.  In the mean time, the Passive and SRPP mode are usable and functions normally because the 12J5GT is not being use on the two topologies.  After 4 days, the new 12J5GT arrives and this time, the filament glows to my excitement.

From my reading, somebody reviewing this preamp on a well-known audio magazine mentioned the following when trying to compare the sonic signature of the three circuit topologies:

PASSIVE Mode:  More detail and the quietest of the three (Isn’t that obvious?)
SRPP Mode:  Very good for Jazz (my thing!)
CF Mode:  Rock, Pop, and Heavy Metal

So I will listen to it with those guidelines in mind.  Let’s get it on then!

PASSIVE:   Sounds relatively the same with my other preamp.   I cannot really differentiate between the two since most of the sound/music seems they are just passing by :D    Seriously, it sounds good and I cannot find out why the person who reviewed this preamp noted that it is the quietest setting with the most detail.   Sorry, I do not have a  “golden ear” which others think they have.  Overall, passive mode is fine with me even if that is the only mode I can get.

SRPP:  My favorite mode. CD and vinyl are just so good in this topology.  I listen to mostly jazz and in this aspect, the reviewer hit bull’s eye.  Better than my other preamp (SS) by a wide margin.  The tube sound is well preserve and delivered.  Detail, warmth, etc. are first rate.  Soundstage extends beyond the speakers.   Rock music is good too, but I prefer listening to that material in the next mode.

CF :  On the CF mode listening to rock, heavy metal, and open field material (mostly chants from the crowd), the sound was so alive compared to my other preamp. On the other hand, Jazz and Pop genre are also very good.   The CF mode overall gives better dynamics than the SRPP.  I guess personal preference between the two modes takes in effect here.
The best application, which I consider as definitely a bonus, is for “mono” or “duophonic” vinyl recording.  If your preference is to listen to “stereo” or at least “hi-fi” recorded material, switching to this mode will make the “mono” and “duophonic’ recording livelier.  I do not know what other preamp has this feature.

Overall, I believe my investment is safe with this preamp. :dance:   I like it very much.  Support is also first rate from Dr. Lloyd (who happens to be there and easy to talk to all the time) which made me feel top priority when I called.  

I am pretty sure there are better preamps out there than the Octal 6A Triplex preamp.   Even a $5000 - $10K preamp will be contested by another preamp.  There are no absolutes in this hobby.  For the same price of the Octal 6A, maybe there’s none.  Giant killer?   No, I would not call this preamp that. :nono:   A fellow named David already have that title and I do not want to depend my claim as well as multiply the calluses on my fingers trying to write a novel in support of the claim.  Is it a very good preamp for the price?  Indeed!   For three or maybe four times its price as well.  Does it meet my expectations?  Yes, thank you very much.  
Do I recommend it?  Yes!  For the performance of it in my system, I have no doubts.  Is the impact instantaneous?  No, you have to wait until the tubes settled down (30 Hours in my case) before you can actually take a “peek’ of what this preamp is capable of.  After that period, it gets better and better.   Not to mention that you have three flavors (Passive, SRPP, and CF) to play with.  Does all of the flavors sound good?  Yes, definitely, in my system the preamp is a giant killer…..Ooooppps! :wink:

MY SYSTEM:

Michell Gyrodeck SE
RB300 Stock (I know, I know…but does not feel like upgrading yet!)
Benz Micro ACE M
Wright Sound WPP 100C Phono Preamp with WS04 power supply
Acoustic Zen Hologram MKII Speaker cables
Odyssey Stratos Monos main amps
Empirical Audio Holophonics, Groneberg Quattro with Bullet Plugs, and Groneberg TS premium interconnects
Virtual Dynamics P2 and P3 power cables
Martin Logan Ascents speakers
Jolida JD 100A modified CD player

Materials use in my comparison

Vinyl:    

Dave Brubeck         Time Out Six Eye Stereo
Gene Ammons        Gentle Jug
Lester Young           Pres and Teddy and Oscar
Thelonious Monk    Monk
Oscar Peterson, Ray Brown, Ed Thigpen        The TrioMingus                    Ah Um
John Coltrane          A Love Supreme
Jetro Thrull             Live
Nirvana                   Unplugged in New York

CD:  

Marsalis                  Standard Time
Scorpions                Love at Firs Sting/World Wide Live
Miles Davis            Kind of Blue
Ozzy  Osbourne      Bark at the Moon
Oasis                     What’s the Story (Morning Glory)

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2003, 03:07 am »
Sounds like my feelings about the Line stage I owned.  Only sold it because I was having weird problems with tubes an AC noise and it didn't have all the features I ended up needing.   I plan to get another some day, or now many this triple whammy pre for a dedicated vinyl rig.

RodB

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2003, 03:21 pm »
Great review.  I have been looking for a pre-amp for my system in-progress :)

Ordered my kit and will post my own thoughts soon :)

amandarae

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2003, 08:22 am »
Thanks RodB,

I am pretty sure you'll have your preamp running in no time.