AVA vs Odyssey

smwick

AVA vs Odyssey
« on: 4 Jan 2011, 07:26 am »
Anyone compare these two solid state amps?  I have been looking at an AVA insight+ 260 double and would like to know how the Odyssey Stratos amp stacks up against it. 

Wolfman

Re: AVA vs Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2011, 08:52 am »
Smwick,
It's gonna be interesting to see the replies as both camps can be pretty entrenched in their choices. :o
Me,I own Odyssey but have never heard any Alstine gear so no help there,sorry. :?

Both have their diehard supporters,maybe some owners close to you(no location in your profile) could be asked for an audition?

Good luck......

kip_

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2011, 03:21 pm »
Here's a long thread in the critic's circle from 2003:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=989.0

smwick

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2011, 06:09 pm »
Thanks.  And WOW that was quite the thread.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2011, 08:12 pm »
Thanks.  And WOW that was quite the thread.

Do note that the OP on that thread had quite a bad history with Odyssey...so consider the source (you'll note Klaus' post #4 or 5 on that first page)

Personally, I compared the two and the Khartago was preferred over the AVA 240 model.  This was about 5 years ago.

I have no beef with either company, I just found the Khartago more to my liking...but there was much to like about the AVA amp, too.

John

smwick

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2011, 11:37 pm »
Do note that the OP on that thread had quite a bad history with Odyssey...so consider the source (you'll note Klaus' post #4 or 5 on that first page)

Personally, I compared the two and the Khartago was preferred over the AVA 240 model.  This was about 5 years ago.

I have no beef with either company, I just found the Khartago more to my liking...but there was much to like about the AVA amp, too.

John

Thanks John.  The insight amps have improved a little, but sounds like either would be great amps.  I recently read a review of the Fritz Carbon 7 speaker and it was paired with a insight+ 240 and it got rave reviews.  Even Fritz said it was the best sounding amp he has heard with his Carbon 7.  I currently have Rega gear with Totem Sttaf speakers.  I am also very interested in the Carbon 7 as well.

Steve

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2011, 12:09 am »
Based on what I heard at RMAF, I'd say the Odyssey gear has continued to improve over the years.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2011, 12:12 am »
Steve,

I heard Fritz's creations at two shows now (in Northern California and in Denver) and they were among the best sounding rooms both times.

As these shows are generally a terrible place to hear things (polluted and erratic power coming in and lots of digital gear spewing their garbage back into the lines polluting everyone) and small rooms that are near impossible to improve upon due to windows, poor shapes and time involved for set-up...to have two great sounding shows is not possible without some serious great speakers.

In both places, small woofer coned speakers generally sounded better than larger ones (room boom seem induced with anything 8" and over to some extent) and among them Fritz's room sounded the best of all both times.

That's GOT to be more than mere coincidence :)

Getting back to the AVA vs. Odyssey comparo some ~4 years ago...I remember noting that the Odyssey sounded 'darker' while the AVA was faster, more open.  Frankly, I may have liked the AVA less than the Odyssey because it was too revealing of SS innate stridency...while the Odyssey glossed it over a bit better.

In the end, both were not liked and the Khartago stereo morphed to a Khartago Extreme monoblocks and were immediately replaced in moments with the first notes played by circa 1960 Dukane tube monoblocks (tired old tubes, lack of bias and all)

It's been tube amps ever since for me: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=26640.0

Tube amplification was right for me - not for everyone, I realize.

John

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2011, 01:08 am »
Does Odyssey recommend the Stratos be left on 24/7 to to sound their best like their other amps? AVA amps always sound the same, warm or cold. Admittedly in the big scheme of things the $50/year always on cost is not a big deal but electronics that are left on all the time are more susceptible to power spikes and may wear out sooner, though I have never heard of anyone wearing out an amp. Little things like this tend to sway my decision whenever I have to decide between two excellent choices. Luckily both manufacturers offer a no quibble return policy - I suggest you get both and report back.  :wink:

Wayne

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2011, 02:16 am »
AVA amps always sound the same, warm or cold.

That may or may not be a good thing depending on a lot of factors such as system synergy and of course the listeners preference. An AVA could be great all the time or it could suck all the time.  :dunno:  Whether or not it takes time for tubes to warm up or capacitors to charge up is inconsequential to the overall enjoyment of one's system. And the only way to find that out is to compare them, preferably together so you can determine which amp flips your trigger.

Cheers,
Robin

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2011, 03:01 am »
AVA amps always sound the same, warm or cold.

Clarification: As far as I can tell, AVA amps sound does not change as they warm up. They sound excellent right off the bat, no need to turn them on an hour before guests arrive.

At the 2009 RMAF Klaus turned up the volume and turned off the lights. The sound in the pitch black Odyssey room was mind altering.

Wayne

smwick

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2011, 05:33 pm »
Steve,

I heard Fritz's creations at two shows now (in Northern California and in Denver) and they were among the best sounding rooms both times.

As these shows are generally a terrible place to hear things (polluted and erratic power coming in and lots of digital gear spewing their garbage back into the lines polluting everyone) and small rooms that are near impossible to improve upon due to windows, poor shapes and time involved for set-up...to have two great sounding shows is not possible without some serious great speakers.

In both places, small woofer coned speakers generally sounded better than larger ones (room boom seem induced with anything 8" and over to some extent) and among them Fritz's room sounded the best of all both times.

That's GOT to be more than mere coincidence :)

Getting back to the AVA vs. Odyssey comparo some ~4 years ago...I remember noting that the Odyssey sounded 'darker' while the AVA was faster, more open.  Frankly, I may have liked the AVA less than the Odyssey because it was too revealing of SS innate stridency...while the Odyssey glossed it over a bit better.

In the end, both were not liked and the Khartago stereo morphed to a Khartago Extreme monoblocks and were immediately replaced in moments with the first notes played by circa 1960 Dukane tube monoblocks (tired old tubes, lack of bias and all)

It's been tube amps ever since for me: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=26640.0

Tube amplification was right for me - not for everyone, I realize.

John

John,

Yes, it does sound like there is something special with the Carbon 7.  I'm looking forward to listening to them.  As far as tube amps, AVA has a hybrid (part tube part SS) thats suppose to be very nice, the best of both SS and tube.  Maybe.   I've only heard tubes one time and it was a long time ago.  Anyway, thanks for your impressions.

Steve 

smwick

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2011, 05:37 pm »
Does Odyssey recommend the Stratos be left on 24/7 to to sound their best like their other amps? AVA amps always sound the same, warm or cold. Admittedly in the big scheme of things the $50/year always on cost is not a big deal but electronics that are left on all the time are more susceptible to power spikes and may wear out sooner, though I have never heard of anyone wearing out an amp. Little things like this tend to sway my decision whenever I have to decide between two excellent choices. Luckily both manufacturers offer a no quibble return policy - I suggest you get both and report back.  :wink:

Wayne

Yes, doing an A\B with both would be nice  :idea:

smwick

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2011, 05:41 pm »
As far as leaving the amp on, that is not a concern of mine, because I always leave my equipment on.  It does double duty with my TV and music.