Mono-block amps.

K Shep

Mono-block amps.
« on: 17 Sep 2009, 12:11 am »
My system consists of an Ayre USB DAC playing AIFF music from my Mac, to a Conrad Johnson CT5 tube preamp, on to a Parasound A21 250 watts 8 Ω, through Revel Performa F32 speakers. 

My question from the panel is, in your opinion would Parasound JC1 mono blocks have a significant sonic improvement?  I have heard mono blocks in a system but I have not benchmark to compare them to.

Kirk

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Mono-block amps.
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2009, 12:29 am »
My system consists of an Ayre USB DAC playing AIFF music from my Mac, to a Conrad Johnson CT5 tube preamp, on to a Parasound A21 250 watts 8 Ω, through Revel Performa F32 speakers. 

My question from the panel is, in your opinion would Parasound JC1 mono blocks have a significant sonic improvement?  I have heard mono blocks in a system but I have not benchmark to compare them to.

Kirk

Kirk,

Like anything, there are good, bad, and everything n between manifestations of mono block amplifiers.  Rather than focus on whether an amp is a mono amp or stereo amp, I think you would be better served finding an amp that suits your needs and wants.

What do you like or dislike about your current amp?

What do you want to improve?

What is your budget?

Based on what I have heard, professional reviews, and knowing a few Parasound dealers, I think it is safe to say that the JC-1's will be a significant step up from the A21.  I don't believe there will be any aspect of the A21's performance that is superior to the JC-1's, but other than quick demos, I haven't never directly compared the two amps. 

Let's assume for second that the JC-1 is superior...I am not sure what that really tells you.  The JC-1's are almost triple the price of the A21 and I can think of a lot of amps at that price point which I feel would be better than the A21.   aa

Once you provide more info, I am sure you can get some great recommendations and thoughts.

George

K Shep

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2009, 12:50 am »
George,

So far my experience here on Ac has been an educational one.  As you know I am still very green to the audio world, however I do commit time to learning and trying to broaden my outlook on this hobby.  I posted the question to hear from some of the members who may have heard a mfg's stereo amp then that same mfg's mono blocks.  I hope I didn't waste your time, but I am very happy with my current amp and don't plan to integrate another into my system for a while, that said, the next logical step for me would be mono blocks IMO.  So I will definitely audition the JC-1 mono blocks in my system.  Fortunately I have access to them.

I enjoying hearing from my peers.

Kirk

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2009, 02:22 am »
Kirk,
George brings up excellent points.  I think Audio Advisor sells the JC1's.  They have a great 30 day policy, so why don't you hear for yourself.  It's the ONLY way to really know....live with them in your system.  I haven't bought a single piece of gear in the past few years without first hearing it/them in my room, and having an exit strategy if they don't satisfy.

But theoretically..yes, the JC1's will be a sonic improvement....heck, they better be..they are higher in Halo's food chain, cost quite a bit more, and were designed to that price-point.  But then again, there are many monoblocks out there.  My Spectrons are magnificent...the new Modwrights are killer...Pass 60.5's!!   It's all about money and tradeoffs.  What aspects do you want to trade off, and what do you want to spend for the trade?

K Shep

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2009, 02:46 am »
Thank you ted_b,

I am friends with the local Parasound rep. so I will be able to hear a pair of JC-1's in my room.  I have upgraded my system step by step and was considering what would be the next logical upgrade.  I think mono-amps are the answer, so I wanted to hear from the guys who own monos and get their impressions.  I understand one of the characteristics of monos is the added width to the soundstage and of course the articulate power. 

As I shared I am happy with my A21 amp, however I have not had the chance to hear the next step in the Parasound food chain, JC-1s. 

Kirk

Mr Peabody

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2009, 04:27 am »
One thing for sure you have a nice preamp.  :) I have a CT6.

In addition, to any sound difference just merely speaking to monoblocks, they offer a channel separation I've not heard matched even by dual mono design.  I had a MV60 power amp and eventually decided I wanted more power, so I bought another MV60 (used) and sent them both back to Conrad Johnson to be converted to mono.  So I heard my amp in stereo and in monoblock form. 

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2009, 01:32 pm »
Hi Kirk,

You mentioned that hifi is a new hobby for you.   It can be damn expensive if you don't watch out :duh:.  As a suggestion do you have an opportunity to attend get together's with local AC members?  Exposure to components from different manufacturers is the best way to get to understand what you like and what you don't.

I'm embarrassed when I consider how many different components I've had in my system.  Theoretically, a monoblock amplifier should provide better performance because there will be no cross talk between channels, however, this also comes down to the design and quality of the component.  There are many good quality stereo amplifiers for you to consider. 

Don't limit yourself to one type of component manufacturer if you can avoid it.

Best of luck.

Regards

Rod

Bigfish

« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2009, 02:22 pm »
Kirk:

Since you first posted back in September have you had the opportunity to hear the JC-1's in your system and if so what are your comments?

Ken

gerald porzio

« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2009, 03:12 pm »
AFAIK, no one has demonstrated the ability to hear crosstalk in a properly designed Stereo amp. As Rocket noted the crosstalk advantage that mono blocks possess is theoretical, like much else in this hobby.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #9 on: 30 Dec 2009, 03:20 pm »
I've owned, well still do, some Krell gear that is truly balanced and dual mono design.  I also stated I heard the same amp in stereo and mono.  I'm not an EE so I'm not going to attempt to explain why there is a difference when using the monoblocks in channel separation and imaging but there is.  Theory is no longer theory when you've experienced it.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #10 on: 30 Dec 2009, 03:32 pm »
I will add that the difference noticed in my opinion is not worth looking for just monoblocks.  There are excellent stereo amps that provide great sound stage and depth.  Conrad Johnson comes to mind.  So I am in total agreement that there are many aspects to consider when choosing your amp.  I just wanted to get across that monoblocks do bring a unique attribute to the table.

K Shep

« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2009, 02:10 am »
Don't limit yourself to one type of component manufacturer if you can avoid it.

Hey Rocket,

I understand your point, however I am able to procure Parasound gear at very reasonable prices.  And if you've spent any time with the stuff you would agree that its one of the best bang for your buck mfg's we have.

ps- How is your amp situation?

K Shep

« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2009, 02:11 am »
One thing for sure you have a nice preamp. 

Thank you.

K Shep

« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2009, 02:14 am »
Since you first posted back in September have you had the opportunity to hear the JC-1's.

No I have not had the chance to audition the JC-1's, my bad case of upgraditis has subsided.  Yeah, I was happy to see this thread resurrected. 

gerald porzio

« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2009, 03:43 am »
Your present pwr. amp doesn't leave much to be desired.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #15 on: 31 Dec 2009, 04:05 am »
Since you first posted back in September have you had the opportunity to hear the JC-1's.

No I have not had the chance to audition the JC-1's, my bad case of upgraditis has subsided.  Yeah, I was happy to see this thread resurrected.

Considering you have a friendship with a local Parasound dealer (you lucky devil you aa ), I applaude your ability to withstand the temptation to have already demo'd the JC-1's in your system, if for no other reason than to have actually known what you might be missing out on.  :notworthy:

Me thinks foregoing a JC-1 demo was a major factor with your currently subsiding upgraditis.  :lol:  Congratulations on that.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec 2009, 04:39 am »
since the jc1's are supposedly better amps than the a21, you wouldn't know for sure whether going w/them is an improvement cuz the amps are better, or cuz you are now running mono-blocks.  why not try a second a21 in a wertically bi-amped set-up?  before i went tubes, i was using a single electrocompaniet aw75dmb driving my monitors; i picked up a second one and ran 'em wertically bi-amped.  there was a definite, tho not huge improvement in soundstaging & dynamics.

personally, i think you will get better bang for your buck by adding an outboard active x-over, & crossing your revels to another stereo amp (or monoblocs) at ~60-80hz driving a pair of subwoofers.  you will get better bass, and the mid-bass of the revel's will also be improved.

doug s.

K Shep

« Reply #17 on: 31 Dec 2009, 05:09 pm »
I applaude your ability to withstand the temptation to have already demo'd the JC-1's in your system

Availablity has been a challenge.  And access to my attic is always a bit squirely carrying gear up the drop ladder. 

mca

« Reply #18 on: 31 Dec 2009, 06:05 pm »
You listen in your attic  :scratch:

K Shep

« Reply #19 on: 31 Dec 2009, 06:21 pm »
You listen in your attic  :scratch:

Yes.