Best integrated amps for Monitor Audio silver RS6

RDavidson

Re: Best integrated amps for Monitor Audio silver RS6
« Reply #120 on: 23 Feb 2013, 03:35 pm »
As with anything in the audio chain, yes, I believe cables can and will have an affect on the signal and resulting sound. While measurements can help explain the good or poor performance of a component scientifically, we all know specs and measurements don't tell the whole story.....which is why reviews exist to help contextualize things. Further, I fully believe it is entirely possible for components that don't measure perfectly to still be able to provide an entirely enjoyable sound experience. One of the most classic examples of this that I can think of are the BBC LS3/5 A speakers or most any single driver speaker.
From my experience, single conductor coaxial cables, such as Blue Jeans 1694a and others like this don't work well as IC's. I like Blue Jeans cables, honestly, and I've bought several products from them. According to the specs of any/all of their coax type cables, they should work really well as IC's. But in listening I found them dull, severely blurring detail, and blunting extension. I can't explain what was happening scientifically, but what they were doing to the signal wasn't good. This may not be the case with your Monoprice cables and again we have to keep in mind the contextual differences between, my ears, your ears, my gear, your gear, my listening space, your listening space, etc. etc. In my experience, coax cables work just fine for digital applications. This is what they are designed for first and foremost. Honestly, I think companies started marketing coax cables as "acceptable for stereo use" as a way to lower production costs. It is cheaper to make a ton of one type of product despite compromises, than make 2 products more suited to their applications.
I have some IC's here I may be willing to let you borrow just so you can hear for yourself. I'm positive you'll hear a welcome difference if you haven't used a non coax type IC before.

kinku

« Reply #121 on: 23 Feb 2013, 04:38 pm »
I too agree that the measurement and musicality often not the same. I do not have much experience but I started believing it ,little by little.If different tubes make different tones then different materials should be imparting different qualities to sound. Thanks for offering to send some IC.
I would like to try with some different interconnects to see if it does change things. I am not planning to invest on exotic interconnects anyway. So as an experiment I am making a DIY cable using a twisted pair from a Belden 89207 cable and Parts express components. Real cheap to start with comparing cheapest IC possible with reasonable quality.once I finish I would like to send it to you for an eval Davidson ,if you are willing to do so. Please give me a 2 weeks time. Jon Risch says it is good ,so should be at least better than many.
You can send some IC after if you are willing which you think better than DIY. That would give me an idea of where I stand and I can start from there.

RDavidson

« Reply #122 on: 23 Feb 2013, 06:08 pm »
That's cool.
I like your approach, and you're absolutely right. Materials make a difference.
I entirely believe you can have quality IC's without spending a lot. Making your own is a great way to experiment. I've read a lot about people having good results using CAT 5 wire conductors and things like that. Morrow Audio makes speaker cables and IC's that are somewhat similar to some of the CAT 5 type cables I've seen though Morrow's conductors are silver plated. Morrow's entry level IC's are quite excellent in the right setup, but can be ruthlessly revealing. He used to sell them for like $35 as the normal price, though he has sales all the time. If I were to make my own, the first thing I'd like to try is using thin silver conductors inside an air tight teflon tube. DH Labs makes a cable like this. Nordost has an extremely expensive cable like this. There's a new company, Darwin Cables, that makes a cable like this. You should look into it.
Sure! I'd give your IC's a try. Just let me know when you've got something you think sounds good and would like me to give it a try.

GregC

« Reply #123 on: 23 Feb 2013, 08:36 pm »
I used both Gold and Silver Monitor Audio speakers with a Musical Fidelity A-308 Integrated and they were an excellent match.

RDavidson

« Reply #124 on: 23 Feb 2013, 11:21 pm »
 :lol: Greg, I have to laugh because if you read the thread from the start you'll see all the twists, turns, ups and downs it has taken. Kinku bought an amp he's happy with. He bought new tubes for it recently as well. Now we're talking IC's and other upgrades to help him get the last bit of performance out of his setup.

kinku

« Reply #125 on: 24 Feb 2013, 12:32 am »
Sorry Greg, I was almost purchasing a Musical fidelity then read somewhere it is a bright system but extremely good. I might be wrong but one advantage I realize with tube amps is the opportunities to play with tubes and get different tonal qualities. Yes when I bought Cayin A70T the sound was bright and I changed the pre amp tubes. Now I am using a GE and Sylvania 5814A one each on left and right Chanel for  pre amp tubes . I am listening tracks for the last 5 hours non stop no fatigue. I am glad with this purchase and trying to get the last juice out of it by trying to change interconnects.
Your opinion will be helpful someone looking for an amp for their beloved Ma Rs6!
 :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #126 on: 24 Feb 2013, 12:53 am »
Now we're talking IC's and other upgrades to help him get the last bit of performance out of his setup.

If we're moving on to cables....the correct circle will be to continue in The Path of Least Resistance....

Thank you.... :thumb:

kinku

« Reply #127 on: 24 Feb 2013, 01:16 am »
Thank you lonwolf . we are not planning to do a detailed discussion here ,about any inter connects. I am just getting some possibilities related to my original topic. So it will be nice to keep this thread alive ,which will be a saga of my struggles to find the best for Monitor Audio RS6. The British speaker classics which will live longer than most of us.there might be many expensive speakers out there but she has some fans  for sure.

RDavidson

« Reply #128 on: 24 Feb 2013, 01:38 am »
Agreed. If we get into a more detailed discussion about cables, a new thread is necessary. We don't want to confuse people about how the original topic discussion started and ended.

kinku

Cables for Monitor Audio silver RS6
« Reply #129 on: 4 Mar 2013, 02:41 pm »
Made first DIY cables (RCA and speaker)over weekend and it was defenitely worth the efforts.Better bass defenition and stereo imaging with RCA.I think now the Cayin 70-T and MA RS6 are reaching closer to their full potential.Also made twisted pair speakercables from 18AWG Teflon wires. Not enough wire to do Bi wiring but the results are appreciable. More so when I biwire with zip cord to LF and braided teflon(TEFbraid-18,abbreviation for future use) to HF. On the biwiring configuration with combo, the sound spacing is better(hear sounds seperated from each), but not sure there is an issue with imaging or not but defenitely everything is crowded together.
I have also find out a better way of comparison(thanks to Destroyer of smiles).A/B comparisons are not going to work simply because the volume of data a brain has to process(mine is not even half near to Einsteen's,the best known so far :oops:). So I will listen with one setting changed for 1 WEEK then switch to next.If I feels like going back to first after few days then first was better. Make sense to me.

bummrush

« Reply #130 on: 4 Mar 2013, 03:29 pm »
Here's a idea START talking about the SPEAKER.