Belles Power Modules

Lonerangerll

Belles Power Modules
« on: 17 Jun 2012, 04:29 pm »
Any users in the circle?

Big Red Machine

Re: Belles Power Modules
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2012, 01:58 am »
I owned a pair of 150A's run in mono once.  They could not drive the HT3's w/o dismantling the protection circuit because the 84 db Salks were too much for them.  Never heard the newer stuff but I see where it gets high praise.  Almost bit on a pair of MB200's but I wasn't sure about the resale hit I might take on them.  Dave builds them solidly.

johzel

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2012, 01:06 pm »
I also owned a 150A amp with a 22A preamp.  It was a great combo.  Replaced them with Modwright.  Agree that Dave makes excellent equipment.

jlupine

Belles Power Modules
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2012, 04:07 pm »
I have a 350A that I had Dave upgrade to Reference status before the soft-start version became available.  It has a lot of virtues, and it's probably the best amp that I've owned; but I don't like having to replace the  power switch every year or two.  I haven't figured out how the Reference 350A v.2 keeps the same electrical spec.s while losing 1/4 of its weight.

soundbitten1

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2012, 08:50 pm »
I have the 20A tube preamp and am very happy with it. Very quiet and smooth.

seadogs1

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2012, 01:09 pm »
I have owned many Belles amps thru out the years with no regrets. My current amps the Belles MB-200's are outstanding. To boot I have never had any problem with any of them. Dave makes great products and stands behind his work. Big Red Machine if you  get a chance to hear the MB-200's in your system I think you would buy them. Lonerangerll, I hope this helps Belles is highly under rated.

Lonerangerll

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2012, 04:43 pm »

Allright we have some Belles fans!  Dave gets a lot of flack on some other boards I have visited for not returning phone calls noe emails. Understand that he is hands on. I spoke to him yesterday and asked him some cooling questions about my "modified" Belles Gala 4 200w@8 ohms. and Iasked what I would gain going to a now 150A reference. he said i would stay with what you got. very cool man. honest. My 20 year old 4 still hold up!

dangerbird

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2012, 05:22 pm »
Belles 20A-- I don't think that I'll ever part with it.

a.wayne

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2012, 04:46 am »
Allright we have some Belles fans!  Dave gets a lot of flack on some other boards I have visited for not returning phone calls noe emails. Understand that he is hands on. I spoke to him yesterday and asked him some cooling questions about my "modified" Belles Gala 4 200w@8 ohms. and Iasked what I would gain going to a now 150A reference. he said i would stay with what you got. very cool man. honest. My 20 year old 4 still hold up!

Justifyable flak for sure ....  :peek:

Lonerangerll

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2012, 04:54 pm »
A. Wayne. I take it that is the belles 200? What size are the filtering caps and are there any wonder and Blackgates in the line board? For some reason the site wont let me enlarge your foto!

Lonerangerll

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2012, 05:04 pm »
Now that I look closer I see the sinks are outboard. Not a Belles 200. Like to know what is inside anyway? My Belles Gala 4 has OCM 500 Transformer, 6-2400uf filtering caps per side w/wonder bipassing and 4-BlackGates in line perside. Dave once told that he thinks (obviously alot) :lol:, that by using multiple filtering caps vs. 2 or 4 cans the amp becomes more stable, especially in the low end, as one can is emptying another is filling. Wax on Wax off I suppose.