Parasound A21 and P3. Does it qualify as Hi-Fi?

geowak

Parasound A21 and P3. Does it qualify as Hi-Fi?
« on: 26 Mar 2012, 02:07 am »
Was thinking about this combo for a second hi-fi system. Anyone have some experience with this combo? Can you comment on the quality of sound. I have had the A21 as a demo, but not with the P3 preamp.

Does it qualify as Hi-Fi or is it Mid-Fi?

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Parasound A21 and P3. Does it qualify as Hi-Fi?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2012, 02:12 am »

Hi:  Haven't heard those particular Parasound products but that company's stuff is generally well-reviewed from what I've seen FWIW. For a lot of folks, that would be a pretty darned good main system...

D.D.

medium jim

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2012, 02:18 am »
Please define mid-fi from hi-fi?  Is it subject to cost or actual perfornance, or is it name cache or better said, snob appeal!

Jim

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2012, 02:35 am »
One man's hifi is another man's mid-fi.

I remember years ago, in the newsletter Audio by Van Alstine used to put out, there was the following guide to how to tell if a person's sound system was "good enough": When you go to their house, is the sound system usually on, or usually off? If it is usually on, it is probably good enough; if it is usually off, it probably isn't.

This hobby is full of people who spent megabucks on their setup and don't enjoy it any more than someone who spent a moderate amount- because they are too busy obsessing over whether they got their money's worth. Spend what is a reasonable amount to you for what you want to buy, do your "homework" as best you can, take your best shot, and play some music....

medium jim

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2012, 03:58 am »
One man's hifi is another man's mid-fi.

I remember years ago, in the newsletter Audio by Van Alstine used to put out, there was the following guide to how to tell if a person's sound system was "good enough": When you go to their house, is the sound system usually on, or usually off? If it is usually on, it is probably good enough; if it is usually off, it probably isn't.

This hobby is full of people who spent megabucks on their setup and don't enjoy it any more than someone who spent a moderate amount- because they are too busy obsessing over whether they got their money's worth. Spend what is a reasonable amount to you for what you want to buy, do your "homework" as best you can, take your best shot, and play some music....

I agree with the part about doing homework, there is a thing called synergy within a system that is not defined by if it is High-End or Mid-Fi.  Yet there are those who have to have the most expensive to feel like they have something decent, the cache name snob appeal. 

The OP should consider how it sounds and not what your friends might think!

Jim

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2012, 04:57 am »
remember years ago, in the newsletter Audio by Van Alstine used to put out, there was the following guide to how to tell if a person's sound system was "good enough": When you go to their house, is the sound system usually on, or usually off? If it is usually on, it is probably good enough; if it is usually off, it probably isn't.

I certainly disagree with that.  I LOVE the sounds of my system, but it's on just a few hours a day.  I HATE background noise, even if it's music the I love.  I'm so grateful that my wife doesn't need to have radios or TVs on just for the noise.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2012, 07:15 am by jeffreybehr »

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2012, 06:40 am »
Please define mid-fi from hi-fi?  Is it subject to cost or actual perfornance, or is it name cache or better said, snob appeal!

I wanna be sure that I group myself with the correct crowd.

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2012, 07:41 am »
Mid-Fi: brands that couldn't possibly sound good because they cost less than A) gear you've purchased or B) gear you've designed.

Ex: "Emotiva"

Ex: "those Ncore amps must be midfi, they could never possibly match my 52 tube, class A Kravtek Dominators".
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2012, 10:34 am by Rclark »

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2012, 11:38 am »
Where do I get me one of those Kravtek Dominators?

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2012, 11:38 am »
As defined by audio elitist:

Hi-Fi : What I've got.
Mid-Fi : What you've got.

As defined by system-obsessive:

Hi-Fi - What you've got.
Mid-Fi: What I've got.
 :green:

D.D.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2012, 12:29 pm »
Eight replies, and not one from anyone mentioning experience with the Parasound amps in question.
Well I briefly owned (less than a month) the P3. While I can't point to any real deficiencies, I can say I sold it pretty quick. It just did not excite me; seemed a bit dull and lifeless. Nice to look at but uninspiring sound.
Never heard the A21.

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2012, 12:34 pm »
It's important to get the definitions right first.

What (for example) is an amplifier? Do you really actually need one? If you have a very efficient high-impedance loudspeaker, could you connect it directly to the output of your preamp? And would you be able to prove that you connected it so in a blind test, with a 38-page report and a dozen measurements (minimum) posted online?

MichiganMike

« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2012, 01:26 pm »
I have a Parasound A21 amp used with the Parasound C2 controller.  In my opinion, this combination qualifies as hifi.  Both the A21 and the C2 (discontinued a couple years ago) have received consistently positive reviews. 

I have not heard the P3 preamp, but reviews of the P3 appear mixed.  The P3 is more typically matched with the A23 amp, which is a step down from the A21 amp.  I own both the A21 and the A23 amps and there is a clear difference in audio quality beyond the power ratings.   The P3 appears to be the weak link if combined with the A21.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2012, 02:00 pm »
I own the P3 and the p23; because of current installation, I use my Marantz Reference integrated more.

But, is mid-fi necessarily a bad thing; budget purchasing ($1K rule, $2K rule, etc...) is a good way to upgrade and acquire things. Stepping up to Halo seperates (even the smaller amplifier/smaller pre-amp) is a way to go.

medium jim

« Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2012, 02:04 pm »
It's important to get the definitions right first.

What (for example) is an amplifier? Do you really actually need one? If you have a very efficient high-impedance loudspeaker, could you connect it directly to the output of your preamp? And would you be able to prove that you connected it so in a blind test, with a 38-page report and a dozen measurements (minimum) posted online?

+1

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #15 on: 26 Mar 2012, 03:36 pm »
I was looking at the Parasound Z stuff and maybe sometime down the road putting a rack of a few together-has anyone heard the Z stuff, the half-rack size separates?????

I think they look very cool and a mini rack full would be convenient, can someone tell me if Parasound stuff is any good or if I should shy away???

oh...I'm in the group with stuff that runs off AC and plays music........"IgotFI" :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 26 Mar 2012, 03:55 pm »
The "Z" line looks cool, but pricey (like lots of cool looking stuff). 

Try to audition at home and decide if it's worth the price.

Sorry, no universally accepted definition (or authority) of mid-fi versus hi-fi.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 26 Mar 2012, 04:02 pm »
Without a drawn out explanation, I'll just say that I acquired two A-23 amps and a JC-2 preamp directly from Richard Schram. Since I had my choice of product, I asked some questions and was told that the A-21 and A-23 are the exact same circuit. The only performance difference according to Richard lies in the point at which the respective amplifiers go from Class A to Class A/B. I don't remember the numbers but I think he told me the A-23 turns over at 3 watts output. The A-21 was 10 watts and the JC-1 at 50 watts.

My bigger concern about the A-23 and JC-2 being a mismatch was dismissed immediately.

I would say all of the Halo stuff can be installed in a very good sound system without compunction. There is no line between good and bad. If it works, it is good. All of our discussions are about "how good?".  It's a continuum and it's subjective. If you are happy with it, stay happy and save money. Cash is king.

mal

« Reply #18 on: 26 Mar 2012, 09:59 pm »
Does it qualify as Hi-Fi or is it Mid-Fi?

I used the P3 for close to a year simply because some of the things it did well were pretty hard to find in its price range. While it does have weaknesses, the sound through its direct inputs can be surprisingly good.

Of course, it probably is mid-fi. There's no comparison at all to, say, an ARC Ref 5. That said, anything in the P3's price range is likely to have at least as many compromises. It's really a matter of picking your poison.

I'd worry less about whether or not it's mid-fi than whether it's a good match to your tastes.

*Scotty*

« Reply #19 on: 27 Mar 2012, 03:06 am »
 Here is a simple description of what characterizes the differences between mid-fi and Hi-Fi.
Mid-fi is characterized by what you don't hear. Masking or outright loss of information are the culprits here. The further up the food chain you go the the less information is lost. If you can't hear, fill in the blank, the first step forward starts by asking why not? A mid-fi system's deficiencies frequently become apparent only when it is compared to a system with less masking and higher resolution.
 Scotty