Parasound A21 and P3. Does it qualify as Hi-Fi?

Rclark

Re: Parasound A21 and P3. Does it qualify as Hi-Fi?
« Reply #20 on: 27 Mar 2012, 03:14 am »
Scotty I think that's the most accurate, and what people really mean. The problem is there is no established rating system for "resolution" so then we are back to perceived values and cost.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #21 on: 27 Mar 2012, 03:21 am »
Scotty I think that's the most accurate, and what people really mean. The problem is there is no established rating system for "resolution" so then we are back to perceived values and cost.

I like Scotty's post as well. To me, the rating system for resolution is those two things sticking outta the sides of your head ( no, not the horns, Rclark, the other things... :green: ). That's what keeps the conversations going here.

D.D.

Rclark

« Reply #22 on: 27 Mar 2012, 03:22 am »
As defined by audio elitist:

Hi-Fi : What I've got.
Mid-Fi : What you've got.

As defined by system-obsessive:

Hi-Fi - What you've got.
Mid-Fi: What I've got.
 :green:

D.D.

brilliant  :green:

Rclark

« Reply #23 on: 27 Mar 2012, 03:26 am »

D.D. you know I don't like to brag about those, but here ya go

Diamond Dog

« Reply #24 on: 27 Mar 2012, 03:27 am »
brilliant  :green:

Well, you know what they say in the Old South : Even the blindest, stupidest pig roots up the odd kernel of corn... :wink:

D.D.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #25 on: 27 Mar 2012, 03:29 am »
D.D. you know I don't like to brag about those, but here ya go

ALL HAIL OUR HALF-INFLATED DARK LORD !

D.D.

Rclark

« Reply #26 on: 27 Mar 2012, 03:30 am »
 :lol: indeed

Bemopti123

« Reply #27 on: 27 Mar 2012, 03:33 am »
Dude, stop trying to find the 5th leg to the elephant!  Are you satisfied with the sound they produce?  Let me tell you, people can spend 5, 6X as much and they are still unsatisfied.  The best sounds I have ever gotten were from a motley clue mix of used components I have once assembled about a decade ago...and they were not nearly as hifi as your stuff.  I mean, a $900 used amplifier from by then a defunct company, a double stack tubed preamp from by then a company that went under, a dumpy Pany DVD player and a Bel Canto DAC-1...into a $600 demo pair of Canadian monitors from an unknown manufacturer.  The components I have now cost much, much more....but I still have fond memories of my stereo back then.  Enjoy your components!

Rclark

« Reply #28 on: 27 Mar 2012, 03:38 am »
I like Scotty's post as well. To me, the rating system for resolution is those two things sticking outta the sides of your head ( no, not the horns, Rclark, the other things... :green: ). That's what keeps the conversations going here.

D.D.

And to think if we used that thing between those other two things to perceive MPH. Grandmother would have our Model-T capable of formula 1 speeds!  :lol:

*Scotty*

« Reply #29 on: 27 Mar 2012, 04:00 am »
With the impossibility of having an absolute measure of resolution, in most cases it will come down to what kind yard stick you measure performance by. If your "yardstick" unbeknownst to you is a foot short of what it should be then you will have set the performance bar too low. This is the problem you run into when all you you have is a relative standard of performance.
  Relative to what you can find to compare your equipment or speakers to you think you are setting pretty. Then along comes the opportunity to compare what you have to something new and then you find out that your, fill in the blank here, was effectively broken and you just didn't know it.
How 'Ya Gonna Keep 'Em Down on the Farm? (After They've Seen Paree).
Perhaps ignorance really is bliss.
Scotty

medium jim

« Reply #30 on: 27 Mar 2012, 04:09 am »
Bemopti:

It all goes back to system synergy.  Sometimes, there just is no rhyme or reason, just what gets us nearer to live.

Jim

*Scotty*

« Reply #31 on: 27 Mar 2012, 04:27 am »
Hellboy rules in the horns department

Scotty

Rclark

« Reply #32 on: 27 Mar 2012, 04:29 am »
Maybe before his got lopped off. I also think I'm much more handsome.  :lol:

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #33 on: 27 Mar 2012, 04:53 am »
I was looking at the Parasound Z stuff and maybe sometime down the road putting a rack of a few together-has anyone heard the Z stuff, the half-rack size separates?????

Z series stuff is cool; I used to own the Z-Phono.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #34 on: 27 Mar 2012, 05:26 am »
I have an A21 and it is a very good amp.  It has a little grain and could use a little more air and transparency.  I have it paired with a Van Alstine hybrid tube preamp the Ultra II.  If I had to do it over again I would pair it with a fully tubed preamp.  I think that for the money it is a great amp that is getting a little long in the tooth.  It does share some circuitry with the A23 but the A21 is a different amp.  Just the weight of the 2 amps will tell you something, 60lbs for the A21 and 28lbs for the A23.

I would consider this Vincent Audio hybrid amp-
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VISP331MK

Diamond Dog

« Reply #35 on: 27 Mar 2012, 11:53 am »
Perhaps ignorance really is bliss.
Scotty

It's certainly cheaper !  :green:

D.D.

JohnR

« Reply #36 on: 27 Mar 2012, 03:34 pm »
I'm not sure that "mid-fi" is a concept even worth discussing. "Hi fi" is a goal, an aspiration, but "mid fi"? Who would aspire to that?

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #37 on: 27 Mar 2012, 03:49 pm »
I'm not sure that "mid-fi" is a concept even worth discussing. "Hi fi" is a goal, an aspiration, but "mid fi"? Who would aspire to that?

maybe this guy?

JohnR

« Reply #38 on: 27 Mar 2012, 03:54 pm »
Well I guess if you're just going to toss that out there...

geowak

« Reply #39 on: 27 Mar 2012, 05:23 pm »
Well all this discussion is very ILLUMINATING (check my spelling).

I have noticed that there are some audiophiles or audio nuts who have enough resources (money) to buy and sell high dollar audio equipment and settle on what pleases them.

I am in the camp, where I have very LIMITED resources and end up researching, listening to what I can and trying to figure out what is a great buy for the money. Never really had the money to just buy what I want and sell it off later.

The A21 is an amp I have heard and liked. I have heard it with the P3 and just found an authorized dealer that can give me a decent discount for the pair. So I am taking the plunge with my blue-collar bucks. I will let you all know what I think...if there is synergy in my system.

So I guess I have Hi-Fi taste on a Mid-Fi budget. So it is not a goal for me to seek Mid-Fi. I will get something that sounds excellent if I can work some magic to get a true High Fidelity rig by spending less money. Used equipment can be a bargain, if the guy selling it is honest about the piece...??

Once again you guys offer opinions I had not thought about, awesome.