Emotiva XSP-1 preamp

Rclark

Re: Emotiva XSP-1 preamp
« Reply #40 on: 3 May 2012, 08:48 pm »

BTW Eclein, not for nothing, $900 isn't the most you could spend on a stereo pre, but I wouldn't exactly call it cheap. ID companies like Emotiva (and everyone in this circle) give you a lot for your money too.

FWIW, OT, they've also got a new top shelf HT pre coming, with the same theme going on, basically every bell and whistle possible:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xmc1

Quite a spec sheet on that one, read the product page, it's absolutely high tech.

srb

« Reply #41 on: 3 May 2012, 08:57 pm »
FWIW, OT, they've also got a new top shelf HT pre coming, with the same theme going on, basically every bell and whistle possible:

Bringing a new "top shelf" processor to market (at a not insubstantial $1500) that cannot accomodate both a direct view TV and a projector because it has only one HDMI output, is a huge oversight.  That's not even a bell and whistle, but at that price point, a glaring omission.

Steve

Rclark

« Reply #42 on: 3 May 2012, 09:19 pm »
OH wow, so most top shelf output to two tv's at once? I'd never even heard of that, nor would I even consider it necessary. Most people have one screen. Even then, I'm sure you could put some sort of HDMI switch box there and have all the screens you want.

srb

« Reply #43 on: 3 May 2012, 09:46 pm »
I would say that, yes, most high end processors have two HDMI outputs, some can output to them simultaneously, others may only offer switching between them.

A number of people who have invested the money in processor and amplifier separates have also invested in both a projector/screen and a smaller plasma or LCD/LED monitor for casual and daytime viewing.  For these people, it is an important and wanted feature.

Since the popular competition (such as Marantz AV7005, Onkyo PR-SC5508 and Rotel RSP-1572) offer the feature, I would have expected the Emotiva to also.  Of course, it is not yet released, and perhaps the specifications on the website will have changed when it is available.

The processors mentioned retail for $100 ot $700 more than the Emotiva, but then lower price is what Emotiva has built their brand identity on and is pretty much the reason one might buy it instead of the other brands.

Steve

Rclark

« Reply #44 on: 3 May 2012, 10:02 pm »
Well, again, I'm sure a switchbox solves the issue right? Still end up saving quite a bit then. Push a button to change screens.

kevinh

« Reply #45 on: 3 May 2012, 10:06 pm »
Bringing a new "top shelf" processor to market (at a not insubstantial $1500) that cannot accomodate both a direct view TV and a projector because it has only one HDMI output, is a huge oversight.  That's not even a bell and whistle, but at that price point, a glaring omission.

Steve

I think what is notable about the HT processor is that it includes tha TACT processor (no sure if it is all the tact feature set. Given that the TACT HT pre amp is 15k, 1.5k could be a real bargin.

I don't see anything about the XSP-1 on their site?

Rclark

« Reply #46 on: 3 May 2012, 10:44 pm »
Nothing on the site yet, but on their just released podcast the owner said it's in full production and will be released in July. So can assume any day now a spec sheet and a preorder button.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #47 on: 3 May 2012, 11:39 pm »
Time for you to stop posting and put your Big Girl Panties on and order something.   :P

Rclark

« Reply #48 on: 4 May 2012, 01:10 am »
You're right! I haven't spent any money in like two months. Those Magnestands were a big chunk of change so I'm pacing myself. Just dropped my cycle off of the shop to get all new deraileur, chain, wheels, tires, grips, brakes, the whole nine so that's another big one.

Honestly I've been waiting to preorder this pre for a long time. It should be up any day now.

Rclark

« Reply #49 on: 4 May 2012, 06:26 pm »
Company owner Dan Laufman via Emo forum

"I've publicly fallen on my sword many times over the XSP-1's delays. For the record, the XSP-1 that we initially designed was competent, but frankly, it was not world class. We wanted a preamplifier that would set the standard for performance and features in a fully balanced design. It was designed to go with the XPA-1 and our other Differential Reference components and I was not going to allow it to be the weak link in the chain. The great thing about having your own company is that sometimes you can just say no, even when everyone else is saying yes! Let me tell you, pulling the original XSP-1 off of the line during production caused a real scene. It just wasn't done. I'm not sure our manufacturing partners still understand why we did it, as the original unit worked fine.... But the problem, in my mind, was that it sucked. Measured OK, looked great, but sounded wrong. Sounded dead. It did not reflect our design goals and the standards we set for it. As the owner of company, I decided I was not going to let it out of the door. Believe it or not, I care. Deeply.

So, now we have an all new XSP-1 and it is a beautiful unit in every way. A 100% redesign. Measured performance is way up, but the most important part, the way it sounds, is now superb. Like it's supposed to be.

It's easy to criticize, and in some cases it's deserved. But I stand by my decision to pull it and delay the program. I've caved into the "got to ship it" pressure before, but not any more. It's not fair to you or the company.

I'm so happy we let you down in the short term to please you in the end. Go ahead and poke at us, we can take it. We believe in what we are doing and we know that in the long run you will too!

Cheers,
Big Dan "

sts9fan

« Reply #50 on: 4 May 2012, 06:47 pm »
So?
How much do you actually believe advertising?

Rclark

« Reply #51 on: 4 May 2012, 06:52 pm »
well, I've got experience with them so I believe it. In fact I had erc-1 and then went to the 2 and that was a good jump.

Plus the delays have been substantial. The clearly want it nice.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #52 on: 4 May 2012, 08:21 pm »
well, I've got experience with them so I believe it. In fact I had erc-1 and then went to the 2 and that was a good jump.

while you are waiting.  same price.  and while i have not heard the xsp-1 - haha! - you will have something to compare, if/when it comes out.  meanwhile, you can enjoy something stellar... 

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/melos-sha-gold-pre-amplifier-headphone-amp-for-grado

doug s.,
melos fanboy.   :green:

Rclark

« Reply #53 on: 4 May 2012, 10:05 pm »

Gotta admit Doug, I was thinking about it. Truth is, once I'm set with amps, and I believe I will be, the hobby can then be rolling other parts..

... I might just on a whim offer $500 and see if he takes it.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #54 on: 4 May 2012, 11:52 pm »
Does anyone know if the measurements are published?  I didn't see any on their site.

guest1632

« Reply #55 on: 10 May 2012, 11:54 am »

Hi, so to slightly hijack this thread just a little, how is the cheaper Emotiva preamp? Also, since you mentioned the CDPlayer, how is it versus say the Virtual Audio's Piano 1? I was thinking about getting that for now. But since Emotiva came out with the newer player, just thought I'd ask. Thanks for ansering my questions.

Ray Bronk

Rclark

« Reply #56 on: 16 May 2012, 09:48 pm »
I don't have any experience with the Virtue Piano. That player was actually going to be my first serious purchase, a cdp anyway, and it was between that one and the ERC-1. While the 1541 dac seemed pretty cool, the player itself didn't stand out as much as the ERC-1, which seemed much more high tech, especially the Youtube vid of their engineer/designer Lonnie Vaughn going over the innards of the prototype, was very impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XflLmNQEtU4

Anyway I liked it so much I immediately upgraded to the enhanced ERC-2 and sold the first one for maybe a $30 loss. Not bad.

However I'm sure the Piano is a fine player, as that 1541 dac style of player is supposedly "lengendary", "got it right the first time", kind of stuff. If you think it looks better, get that one.

The reputation of the USP-1 preamp (haven't heard it) from reviews and such, is that it's "pretty good". Supposedly nice and transparent, neutral, detailed, pretty much the signature of all their gear, seems like. It never interested me.

Instead I went the unusual route with an LDR. It will be very interesting to compare the XSP-1 to this device, but I'm hopeful that I can put the Warpspeed in front of the XSP as hopefully a fine tune gain control. I'm even more hopeful that the XSP is just awesome all on it's own and I can find another use for the WS.

The final specs and test data will be posted on the day preorder goes up. I will post those. Hope it's good, want to do this stage before ncores to save on the preorder discount.

(edit, I forgot that in that video he goes into decribing their RSP-2 preamp. Got a lot of positive reviews. Comparisons to much more expensive stuff, etc. Seems like the USP-1 was a step down for a lot of people. But if the RSP-2 is an indicator, then the XSP-1 should be pretty great. Fingers crossed)

JohnR

« Reply #57 on: 16 May 2012, 11:44 pm »
Piano uses a TDA1543 DAC with a 4x oversampler in front of it.

Rclark

« Reply #58 on: 17 May 2012, 12:14 am »
I believe the ERC-1 oversamples something like 384x. Just to experiment I threw some pretty beat up cd's in there and it still played them. I was amazed. Erc-2 is much the same.

JohnR

« Reply #59 on: 17 May 2012, 12:27 am »
I was just correcting your incorrect statement about the DAC chip.