Opinions on Spectron MKIII amp(s)

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
Opinions on Spectron MKIII amp(s)
« on: 2 Feb 2012, 03:52 pm »
Hi all
I am getting the itch to upgrade my Nuforce 9V3SE amps. I have new speakers PMC PB1i and use the Nuforce P9 pre , Bolder modded Touch and an EE minimax DAC. I think the speakers could use more power and current and have been reading about the Spectron amp. Any feedback on the Spectron? They have a relatively good promotion currently running. My other top contender is a Bryston 14BSST2 (I don't have space aka WAF for the 7Bs). I have enjoyed the Nuforce amps and the digital "thing" does not bother me.

Your thoughts appreciated
David
« Last Edit: 2 Feb 2012, 05:29 pm by David C »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Opinions on Spectron MKIII amp(s)
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2012, 04:39 pm »
    The Bryston and PMC speakers have a great synergy. Not as dry sounding as the Spectron. Both are VG products with different characters. Just have to try them to find which fits in better.

charles

mfsoa

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2012, 01:15 pm »
May I suggest checking out the Digital Amp Company's Cherry line?
Circle here and made in Allentown PA.

In StereoTime's excellent multi-reviewer review, one fellow compared a Cherry Plus to NuForce V3s, using a P-9 preamp:

My brief experience with the Cherry Plus was a revelation in the possibilities of so-called “digital amplifier” technology. Up against my reference of Nuforce’s Ref 9 V3 SE I was thoroughly impressed at how well the Cherry Plus performed especially considering their similarity in price. One of the immediately noticeable differences is the higher output gain level the Cherry Plus had relative to the Nuforce V3 SE. Whereas I spent a good deal of time listening with the Nuforce P-9 set around the 12 to 2 o’clock volume knob range with the Nuforce amps, I generally kept the P-9 around the 9 to 11 o’clock knob range when paired with the Cherry Plus. The majority of my at home listening was of WMA Lossless ripped files off of my Windows Home Server via a Squeezebox Touch through a Perpetual Technologies P-3A DAC.

One of the Cherry Plus’ greatest strengths is its speed, clarity and authoritative weight. For example in listening to George Duke’s “Every Day Hero” from Dukey Treats (Heads Up, CD) the Cherry Plus offered up a torrent of gut bustin’ grip and sublimely delineated texture to this funky track that excelled past my Ref 9 V3 SE’s performance in terms of clarity, weight and soundstage depth. The Cherry Plus seemed to have more headroom for grander dynamic sweeps.

I have only once heard my Cherry Plus at the same time as a Spectron, in a venue/system I was not familiar with and I don't know the version of the Spectron. The Spectron was certainly much slower and duller sounding than the Cherry.

Good luck with your search
-Mike

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2012, 06:04 pm »
I've had Spectron and while they were impressive at first, the long term satisfaction was not there. They need a really warm tube preamp to smooth them out.
the Cherry amps look interesting and the Bryston is a known, solid, reliable smooth sounding amp as long as you get the SST-2 version. I'd choose Bryston based on a recent listening session of a 4BSST2. Let us know what you decide.
« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2012, 08:27 pm by tdinut »

mclsound

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2012, 12:35 pm »
I had the 14bsst with IB1 and it was good.The sst2 should be even better.

David C

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2012, 09:21 pm »
tdi and mci
thanks for the comments. I have contacted Bryston and they are setting me up with a dealer as there is not one in my area. If all goes well I am leaning towards the 14Bsst2. I will keep you all posted
 :D
David

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2012, 09:53 pm »
David,

Good Luck!

Keep us posted.

Joe

BruceSB

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2012, 10:13 am »
Does anyone know if Cherry Plus make a five channel amplifier like the Spectron Premiere?
I looked up the Cherry Plus website but found no indication that they do.
By the way I did speak to one of the key Bryston people at a HIFi show about their multichannel amplifiers and he told me that they are not suitable for driving electrostatic speakers.
That sort of led me on an investigation that has ended up with Spectron at this stage.
Thanks.
Bruce

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2012, 01:48 am »
Does anyone know if Cherry Plus make a five channel amplifier like the Spectron Premiere?
I looked up the Cherry Plus website but found no indication that they do.
Thanks.
Bruce

Don't know the answer, but you might ask on the Digital Amplifier Company's Circle here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=174.0

Levi

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2012, 03:01 am »
+1

Your PB1i will love the Bryston or McIntosh amps.  Spektron amps are great.  Hopefully, you can audition both of them in your system prior to buying.

BruceSB

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2012, 11:16 am »
Hi Timind
Thanks for the link & even letting me know about their presence on the Circle!
I mostly hang out at the Planar Circle and don't often venture far from it.
I have put a post on the Digital Amplifier Company's Circle & will see what turns up.
Appreciate the help.
Regards
Bruce

David C

« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2012, 08:47 pm »
after much deliberation and angst I have deceided to go with the Bryston 14bsst2 :thumb:

It is on order and should be here next week. Should be a great match with the PB1i's. I will post impressions in the Bryston circle. Can't wait

Levi

« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2012, 09:51 pm »
Hey David. Congrats on your decision to go Bryston way. It just make sense since you already have a PMC PB1i speakers. You are now an Elitist!