Russian PIO Caps

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
Russian PIO Caps
« on: 27 Sep 2013, 09:23 pm »
Just received some of these  Russian K75-10 2.2 Uf 250v, these are great big green jobbies, has anyone used these in their Sensations? Would appreciate advice before my man installs them- thanks! :thumb:

Xcalibur

Re: Russian PIO Caps
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2013, 07:24 am »
I'm a big fan of the K40Y-9 myself.  Have them in two different tube amps now.  Wonderful tone and transparency.

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2013, 08:06 am »
I'm a big fan of the K40Y-9 myself.  Have them in two different tube amps now.  Wonderful tone and transparency.

Thanks for the reply, l received 6 of them as a freebie, and they look like small hand grenades!  Six of them ( 0.6kg) came through the letterbox and l am still trying to repair the floor :green: The sender loved them and said" they are as good as "the top Mundorfs"......mmmmm will wait and see.... if they will fit  :scratch:, but spoke to my tech guy and he is ready for the challenge these bad boys present.

Anyone else?

bardamu

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2013, 11:49 am »
Hello Tarzan,
I did change the caps in my loudspeaker crossover and did use the k75-10. They are truly great caps.
I am using an surplus polystyrene film and foil cap in my sensation instead of the 100nf virtue cap or was it auricap much better for sure.
I have 3 candidates to be used '' on the other side of the switch '' so i can compare them with the 100nf polystyrene. All 3 russians k40y-9 paper in oil and ft teflon caps 200 volts and 600 volts. Did mark the outer foil on them and did match them as close as possible. Did order a lot so it was rather easy to find very close values.
The 600 volts teflons are rather big and i think that using a 200 volts version would be better because the tension applied is rather low. With the 600 volts cap i think some music will '' get lost '' on the way out. Of course the cap supplier wants you to buy the bigger voltage one because it will increase the profits.
One day i will try to install the teflon 200 volts see if it is better than the one i am using now. Then i could take out that one and replace it with a k40y-9 and do another comparison.
Anyway you will have to try it yourself to see if it is an improvement. The k75-10 sounds very musical to me with no loss of detail.
Sincere greetings, Edward

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2013, 12:15 pm »
Thanks Edward, my tech guy is away for a couple of weeks, so the " hand grenades" will not be fitted for a while, but your post has certainly wet my appetite to have them , fitted, researching further, they are very well liked :thumb:

orientalexpress

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2013, 12:24 pm »
I been using K40Y-9 in all my tube amp,pre amp and phono stage build myself  and I also Recap my HK A500 with them also.Sound Great  :thumb:

lapsan

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2013, 03:33 pm »
Its all looking good then :beer::thumb:

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2013, 10:49 pm »
Well the Ruskies are in! Have about 3 odd hours on them, a little more detail, fuller smoother more organic sound thus far............ how long do these things take to burn in.......... :drool: oh and very musical too :thumb:

Will report back later.

Jon L

« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2013, 12:21 am »
Well the Ruskies are in! Have about 3 odd hours on them, a little more detail, fuller smoother more organic sound thus far............ how long do these things take to burn in.......... :drool: oh and very musical too :thumb:

Will report back later.

Give them a week or so to bloom more.  K75 is a real gem, often overlooked by audiophiles.
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0411/capacitor2.htm

bardamu

« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2013, 05:25 am »
Hello Tarzan,
Maybe you could use some tracks on the sheffield cd thas has the burn in tones demagnitizing tones. If i am right there are 3 tracks that you can use. I did rip them from the original cd to and usb stick and put it on repeat on my oppo and on my mp3 and shure headphones. always works well. I did read about people adding a small cap to the big ruskies.But i think every value will need another value as a bypass. iF i remember well people did use russian silver micas. But better wait some time untill it starts '' opening up "
In my loudspeakers i did replace a 4,7 and 4.0 cap. 4,7 with a single 4,7 russian and 4,0( in series with tweeter) with 4 times1,0 which will not require as much bypass as one single4,0 i guess
Maybe the russian cap will reduce the glare associated with digital amps and adding a by pass cap will give it back. Just let it bloom for a while before adding someting. Sometimes adding will end up will feel like one step forward two steps back.

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2013, 09:19 am »
Further musings this morning,( did not leave The Sensation on overnight :duh:) much as last night really, but have noticed a little more relaxing of the sound and a widening of the soundstage.....more to follow. :thumb:

bardamu

« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2013, 10:47 am »
Hello Tarzan,
With the sheffield tracks you better be outside and just play them at a level that the neigbours will not complain. Working in shifts one day the neigbour did say that in the middle of the night she did hear some weird noises when she was downstairs in the kitchen but upstairs in her bedrooom no problem.
Maybe the russian caps can be called a little euphonic but the right kind of euphonic. There will be caps with a bit more resolution but i really like them.
If the person uses them likes them then it is perfect. But it is nice to hear other people confess they like them too.

BobM

« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2013, 01:23 pm »
I've tried both the Russian FT3 teflon cap (.1uF) as a bypass in both speaker crossovers and as a coupling cap. Generally these are pretty decent, although over time I do detect a slight metallic sheen to them which creates a little hardness. However they are a great option if you don't want to pony up the big $ for some of the other teflon caps out there.

I've also got the K40Y in my speaker crossover (1.0uF) and I really do like what these bring to the table. Transparent and they still do all those good things that you expect of PIO caps. Nicely harmonic and not dark at all. I use one of these in both the 5uF and 10uF part of the crossover, paired with a Sonicap for the difference and bypass them with the FT3. Very nice pairing indeed.

bardamu

« Reply #13 on: 16 Oct 2013, 10:20 pm »
Hello,
I have the k40y, k75-10, the ft3 600 volts teflon and the ft2 200 volts teflon. For the 100nf i need as a 80hz and above cap in the virtue sensation i have the k40y, the ft3 and ft2. The ft3 is probably to big so i will end up with the ft2 or the k40y. The russian silver micas also seem to be very good. I don't know when i will change the caps because it is a big '' challenge '' for me and i already like the way it sounds.
On the internet there a number of test but in the end every one has to try it themself so see whatr will give the best result in their set up.
Greetings, Edward

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2013, 08:47 am »
Day3; Much as before  really, smooth, wide soundstage, bit more dynamic,very refined, hangs on to tunes a tad more, interestingly does not seem to have cleanliness or resolution as the ClarityCaps yet, been informed by a few users these take hundreds of hours to break- even longer than ClarityCaps........we shall wait and see. :thumb:

bardamu

« Reply #15 on: 17 Oct 2013, 10:40 am »
Hello Tarzan,
 Probably can speed up break in proces by using that sheffield cd or some ripped tracks on a usb stick and use them in a repeat mode whenever there is no one around. always been using it after every change in parts or cables.
I think the '' character '' of the sound will not change a lot anymore. It might get a bit more relaxed( but it already is) Usually it will change from a more digital to a kind of analogue sound. A sound that will make you turn up the volume.
Just keep playing and keep some music that you will play for the first time after the cap has been there for a month. Not try to play everything to search for improvement in a few days. Keep a few to be really surprised lol.
Kind greetings, Edward

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #16 on: 17 Oct 2013, 11:29 am »
Hi Edward, l do not possess the CD you have in question, l will just have to sit in with the break in, l am not jumping to any conclusions just yet :lol:, l know from experience, with the ClarityCaps, which sounded not too good them blossomed into a great sound. :thumb:

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #17 on: 21 Oct 2013, 05:40 pm »
Day 6;Times they are a changin', PIO's now sound very wet, lush and with great  tonal colour - oh yeah, and the soundstage has expanded in all directions- it is big! Me likey these caps :thumb:

bardamu

« Reply #18 on: 22 Oct 2013, 02:19 pm »
Hello Tarzan,
It seems i have every reason to like them as well. Untill now i just use them in my speakers. The 100nf is a french foil polysterene cap. Technically probably a good cap. It could be surpassed by the '' russians '' i have in stock. No k75-10 in this small value in stock. I also did never come across them on ebay.
Nice to see that these old caps with their non audiophile looks can keep up with the expensive ones. By the way in the past i did buy quite a lot of audiophile ones.
It has been some months that i did visit ebay but there still seem to be some stock available.
Kind greetings, Ed

bardamu

« Reply #19 on: 10 Nov 2013, 01:32 pm »
Hello Tarzan,
No further improvement? I preseume you like it the way it sounds now. If you need a pair of ft2 200volts 100 nf teflon caps i can send them to you free of charge. The ft3 are bigger and i think the ft2 will be appropiate because the tension on the caps in the sensation is rather low. The ft2 will fit into a sturdy envelop. Will be in south east Asia for a big holiday soon. So if you can send me your postal adres i will do every effort to send them before i leave. Sincere greetings, edward