Thoughts/feedback/opinions on the new PS Audio Perfect Wave Power Plants

vinyl_lady

I live in an older neighborhood (1900-1920 homes) and the above ground power coming into my home is fairly dirty (4.5% to 5.5% TDH) and varies between 118 and 125 volts. I've been using a Power Plant Premier for about 4 years and generally have been pleased with its performance, especially after I added a UberBUSS between the wall outlet (a PS Aduio Soloist Premier) and the PPP. The only drawback I have experienced is that it doesn't handle my ModWright KWA 150 very well and I have the amp plugged directly into the Uber BUSS. The company is touting the new Perfect Wave Power plants as a significant improvement over the PPP, especially the 10.

I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions you might have.

Thanks,

Laura

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Hi, Laura.  Good question that I can only guess at the answer from what I see written.  I guess pretty well, though

I like Power Plants when used properly.  I used one for years on my front end.  The problem that I have had in the past is that they have not made a unit with the cojones to drive even a moderately powerful Class A or A/B amp (SS).  They always sounded compressed to me.  They work(ed) pretty well on tube amps and Class-D where the current was lower and there was a fairly constant current draw.

The new 5 and 10 I have not heard.  I very much want to, but nobody in this backwater berg sells 'em.  I'll see them at AXPONA I guess.  Off the top of my bald head I would think that it would take the 10 to make your 150 happy.  I would think that the 70A current dump capability would be more than adequate.  As a rule of thumb I will NOT use any kind of power regeneration device that has a constant current rating lees then the fuse on the piece of gear it is supplying.  Nothing at work here other than common sense and a little or a lot of personal bias.  I just wouldn't trust the 5 with that task.

My $.02.

Dave
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2011, 12:34 am by dBe »