Newbie Q

dmag

Newbie Q
« on: 25 Feb 2011, 05:24 pm »
I hear an occasional light pop on my stereo,that is quite random,affecting tt and cd alike.  After a long process changing tubes, amps, components,etc, I have come to the conclusion this coincides when my furnace kicks on.
If I am correct would a conditioner eliminate this, and are there any suggestions for a low cost unit?
Would it be in addition to or instead od a surge supressor?
Thanks

Big Red Machine

Re: Newbie Q
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2011, 06:18 pm »
Most likely that would do the trick.  Have you ever tried the cheater plug just to see if it is a ground problem?  Also, is the stereo ON the same circuit as the furnace?

What is your budget?

dmag

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2011, 06:39 pm »
Sorry , What is the cheater plug?
 System Is Updated Dynaco, Two prong AC plugs,non polarized ,star grounded.
I do believe it very well may be on the furnace circuit, I do intend to run a dedicated circuit.
And my budget would necessarily be low. If it works out I could upgrade later.
Thanks

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2011, 06:41 pm »
Have you tried to turn the furnace off and wait until the temp is low enough that you can have someone turn it on while your in front of the stereo to see if that reproduces the problem? 

www.zerosurge.com makes great surge protectors

dmag

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2011, 06:51 pm »
I haven't done that but I have been in front listening when it has occurred simultaneous on multiple occasions to the furnace turning on.
That's what finally made my conclusion.
I'll pull a new circuit and look into zerosurge, that's well within budget.
Thanks

Occam

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2011, 12:15 am »
While I'm a strong proponent of power conditioners for A/V applications  :roll:,
if the issue you want to address is simply that 'popping' and it is from your furnace motor, you'd best be served by addressing it at the source, by snubbing your furnace motor/relay directly (it should already have a RC snubber, but it could be faulty, or the installing personnel for your furnace could be clowns)
Such as the Mallory/CDE QuenchArc snubbers -
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/629/660.pdf
http://www.cde.com/catalogs/Q-QRL.pdf

Your HVAC guy should be familiar with the issue....

FWIW,
Paul