PS Audio Powerplant Premier - Toroidal Tranny Buzz

whell

PS Audio Powerplant Premier - Toroidal Tranny Buzz
« on: 31 May 2019, 01:40 am »
Its not loud, and its intermittent.  Can be heard sometimes even when unit is in stand by mode.  Anyone else experience this with this unit?  Faulty transformer?  Seems funky that a power regenerator / power conditioner would be susceptible to DC offset on the AC main.

Thanks for any thoughts.

sanzaborn33

Re: PS Audio Powerplant Premier - Toroidal Tranny Buzz
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2020, 05:33 pm »
Hey there,

While I don't own the premier unit and I do currently employ a Ps audio P10 power plant for my main listening system. This unit is connected to a dedicated 20amp outlet connected to a Schneider Electric / Square D DO Panel which is commerical grade. This was recently installed by a union electrician (many of whom I worked with in the chicago area for years). My connections to the provider mains and grounding is optimal as correctly installed by someone who doesn't just do work out of the back of their truck with no actual electrical training.

Despite that, the toroid in my P10 will buzz depending on the time of day as do other (what I assume) are power rectifiers within the P10. It has never affected my sound to the best of my knowledge and ear. FWIW, I recently ordered both a P15 and then a P20 and they BOTH had transformer hum. The only thing I could come up with as DC was still getting into these units from dimmers in my house and others dumping noise onto my local power grid. Again, it never noticeably affected the sound of any of those units and I'm still genuienly very happy with the sound of the P10 compared to other passive power conditioners.

I think the DC getting into these units is totally based on your grid and who else is on it. My 2 cents. But again, if it's not affected the attached equipment and ultimately the sound, why worry. Hope that helps? -Tim