Yes, you DO need power conditioning.

Freo-1

Re: Yes, you DO need power conditioning.
« Reply #40 on: 6 May 2012, 06:28 pm »
Yes, I agree 100%. 

I used to use a certain conditioner that I thought was great sonically but it sure did limit dynamics.  As many as there are that do limit current there are many consumer and many pro units that do not.

The trick is to find one that works for your system.  :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #41 on: 6 May 2012, 06:29 pm »

Bingo!

OzarkTom

« Reply #42 on: 6 May 2012, 06:34 pm »

That is a real trick with todays prices of $2-6K. You better have a thick wallet too.

Freo-1

« Reply #43 on: 6 May 2012, 06:38 pm »
That is a real trick with todays prices of $2-6K. You better have a thick wallet too.

This is where one would put their DIY skills to work.   8) 

Pretty sure one could make a decent one at a fraction of the cost.  My tech buddy already has done just that.

Phil

« Reply #44 on: 6 May 2012, 06:47 pm »
If you live in an area with a lot of lightning, you DO need a power conditioner and one that isolates your equipment.  I've been lucky so far, but horror stories abound.

I've tried lots of stuff.  Given that I need isolation from damage, the logical choice is an isolation transformer.  One for the digital stuff and one for the amp has worked very well for me.  The limitation of such units, IMO, is the isolation among outlets on the same transformer.  Thus my experiment with two units, each with their own dedicated outlet.   An APC unit protects the computer. 

The result has been the opposite of power limiting:  the whole system opens up.  True, some equipment responds more dramatically than others. 

Since I believe in the "all noise travels back to the breakers" I've also tried a majik for the TV and DVR.  This too helped overall sound quality.  As has been said, your power, your ears, your equipment:  one size does not fit all.

OzarkTom

« Reply #45 on: 6 May 2012, 06:48 pm »

Pretty sure one could make a decent one at a fraction of the cost.  My tech buddy already has done just that.

I had a heavy duty DIY power conditioner made by an expert for $400. The wall sounded better.

Freo-1

« Reply #46 on: 6 May 2012, 06:51 pm »
I had a heavy duty DIY power conditioner made by an expert for $400. The wall sounded better.

Interesting.  What was the problem? 

OzarkTom

« Reply #47 on: 6 May 2012, 07:02 pm »

Interesting.  What was the problem?

Loss of detail, soundstage, and dynamics. I have an audiophile buddy in St. Louis that has gone through scores of power conditioners also, he has more money than I, and he has found the same problem.

I have found on power conditioners to listen to the system for 2-4 weeks with the conditioner, two weeks without, then two weeks with and see which way you prefer. I have preferred without every time.

roscoeiii

« Reply #48 on: 6 May 2012, 07:07 pm »
And this is with all components plugged into the conditioners? Or excluding amps?

Not meaning to challenge you here, just to get a clearer idea of what is going on.

For me the Running Springs was a great relief in that it didn't limit my dynamics even with the amp plugged in. What a relief.

Freo-1

« Reply #49 on: 6 May 2012, 07:13 pm »
Loss of detail, soundstage, and dynamics. I have an audiophile buddy in St. Louis that has gone through scores of power conditioners also, he has more money than I, and he has found the same problem.

I have found on power conditioners to listen to the system for 2-4 weeks with the conditioner, two weeks without, then two weeks with and see which way you prefer. I have preferred without every time.

Fair enough, Tom.

Hard to say what the issue is there.  My first guess would be either a grounding issue using the power conditioner, or some sort of current limiting going on.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #50 on: 6 May 2012, 07:15 pm »

I don't know if that is reasonable to expect for non-engineering types. Power supply equipment is a DANGEROUS diy!  Not for the rank and file. And to achieve the goals of getting it to clean while not harming the sound quality, seems quite difficult to achieve, and unlikely for novices. 

-Tony

OzarkTom

« Reply #51 on: 6 May 2012, 07:16 pm »
And this is with all components plugged into the conditioners? Or excluding amps?

Not meaning to challenge you here, just to get a clearer idea of what is going on.

For me the Running Springs was a great relief in that it didn't limit my dynamics even with the amp plugged in. What a relief.

Everything was plugged into the conditioner.

Freo-1

« Reply #52 on: 6 May 2012, 07:19 pm »
I don't know if that is reasonable to expect for non-engineering types. Power supply equipment is a DANGEROUS diy!  Not for the rank and file. And to achieve the goals of getting it to clean while not harming the sound quality, seems quite difficult to achieve, and unlikely for novices. 

-Tony

Tony, you are correct.   :thumb:

I still remember when you could buy a Harmon Kardon Citation II either assembled or in kit form.  It's not like that today.

roscoeiii

« Reply #53 on: 6 May 2012, 07:22 pm »
Everything was plugged into the conditioner.

If we had a time machine, I'd be curious to know what it sounded like with everything BUT the amp(s) plugged into the conditioners.

OzarkTom

« Reply #54 on: 6 May 2012, 07:22 pm »

Fair enough, Tom.

Hard to say what the issue is there.  My first guess would be either a grounding issue using the power conditioner, or some sort of current limiting going on.

I have felt that they all limit current by the sound that I heard. The ones that were the worst sounding had transformers in them.

Maybe I am just too picky.

OzarkTom

« Reply #55 on: 6 May 2012, 07:23 pm »
If we had a time machine, I'd be curious to know what it sounded like with everything BUT the amp(s) plugged into the conditioners.

Yeah, Back to the Future! :D

My friend in St. Louis recently had me over with a battery power conditioner on his battery powered amp. We both preferred the amp without the conditioner.

TONEPUB

« Reply #56 on: 6 May 2012, 07:27 pm »

Same results here.  I have my main components (preamps, turntables, phono stages) on a dedicated 20A line with a RSA Dmitri.  I have my dCS stack and Sooloos on a 15A dedicated line with a RSA Haley. Another 20A line features the Maxim and I use that regularly with either the Burmester 911 (350 wpc, solid state), Pass XA200.5 monos (200 wpc, solid state, class A), Octave Jubilee monos (250 wpc, tubes) or the ARC REF 150 (150wpc, tubes) with no dynamic compression whatsoever.

roscoeiii

« Reply #57 on: 6 May 2012, 07:33 pm »
Yeah, TONEPUB I believe that I have you to thank for putting Running Springs on my radar. My power is so spotty I really wanted to have everything into a conditioner that provided protection and at least some voltage regulation.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #58 on: 6 May 2012, 08:00 pm »
Can someone explain in layman's terms how an 1800 watt power conditioner would limit the current (and I assume "dynamics") to a system that draws only 3 or 4 hundred watts? How about 6 hundred?

Can someone explain in laymen's terms how a parallel power conditioner would do the same for any system?

Early B.

« Reply #59 on: 6 May 2012, 09:19 pm »
Can someone explain in layman's terms how an 1800 watt power conditioner would limit the current (and I assume "dynamics") to a system that draws only 3 or 4 hundred watts? How about 6 hundred?

Great question. I would like to know this, as well.