30 yeah old Aciustats.... Worth it?

capwkidd

30 yeah old Aciustats.... Worth it?
« on: 19 Jul 2013, 07:42 pm »
2+2's look like the model to get.... And they go down to 28hz.... Do they break down into shorter lengths? Do they sound anywhere near as good as modern full range electrostatic speakers, like Soundlabs?

Thanks!

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Re: 30 yeah old Aciustats.... Worth it?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2013, 07:57 pm »
They do not breakdown - room must be full 8' tall.  I had a pair for several years, but that was almost 30 years ago.  In my experience, most older speakers do not sound as good as modern equivalent.  Magnepan 1.7 will blow the 2+2 away.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2013, 08:22 pm »
If you can find a pair of modded Servo Amps to replace the transformer, that's a real game changer. 

Bryan

capwkidd

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2013, 01:39 am »
If you can find a pair of modded Servo Amps to replace the transformer, that's a real game changer. 

Bryan

Like theses? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400535080867&item=400535080867&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466
I guess they need to be modded...

rbbert

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2013, 02:47 am »
And you should have three amps as well as plenty of spare parts on hand, because while the amps are relatively easy to mod and repair, their very nature almost guarantees they will break from time to time.

satie

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2013, 05:56 am »
If they are in good condition they are worth it, and no, the ribbon maggies only outdo them in dynamics and in the ribbon tweeters' better top octave. The later ones (Spectra models) perform better on dispersion.

The servo amps are great and make a great value speaker into a great speaker. But you need a subwoofer when you use the servo amps (limited power). A sub is also good to have for ordinarily amplified Acoustats - they do reach deep (3 and 4 panels and up to 6) but with limited output/max volume, the bigger the speaker the louder the bass max loudness.

The 2+2 and the spectra equivalent are 4 panels per side. Once the transformer/interface circuits are updated or servo amps restored the speakers are still competitive with most new electrostats.

Baranyi

« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2013, 02:51 am »
Will the servo amps work with the Spectra speakers?

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2013, 06:00 pm »
I just bought a pair of Acoustat Model 3.  They have the original transformers in the interface.  I'll look into buy the "Medallion" transformers from the NJ transformer company that bought the FL company that made transformers for Acoustat.  I think I'll install premium caps and replace the wires inside the interfaces and that may yield better results than replacing the transformers.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2013, 06:55 pm »
Like theses? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400535080867&item=400535080867&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466
I guess they need to be modded...

Yup. That's them.  Not sure about that price but those are the right ones. At a minimum they need to have the auto-turn on disabled and changed to an on/off switch (this was one of the big reliability problems with those amps) and the HF control should be switched over to just a few step pot instead of what it is which is some sort of bizzare bias control (not really but that's kind of how it was explained to me) which can get really flaky.

Bryan