Question on early encoder wiring

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Question on early encoder wiring
« on: 18 Jun 2016, 08:35 pm »
Honestly, I have done about 30 minutes of searching before bothering you with this.  I want to build one of my old LDR3X boards with the original encoder.  I have identified the encoder output posts as labeled A<B<C<D<E.  I am pretty sure A goes to screw terminal Ea and B to Eb.  Which of the remaining 3 encoder posts go to ES and which goes to Ground?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Question on early encoder wiring
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2016, 10:16 pm »
Honestly, I have done about 30 minutes of searching before bothering you with this.  I want to build one of my old LDR3X boards with the original encoder.  I have identified the encoder output posts as labeled A<B<C<D<E.  I am pretty sure A goes to screw terminal Ea and B to Eb.  Which of the remaining 3 encoder posts go to ES and which goes to Ground?

The labels on the little encoder circuit board are A B S & G which correspond to Ea, Eb, ES and G on the J2 header of the LDR3x board. This is the same for both the V1 and V2/2.1 versions of the board. If you're still scratching you head I suggest you post a pic.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2016, 10:59 pm »
I am trying to use one of the encoders from before you had them with the circuit board.  The bare encoder has 5 solder points.    But just to make all our lives easier I will order one of the new ones with the circuit board and screw terminals.  From my recent experience I would probably need to order one anyway after I melted something on the one I have.  Thanks.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2016, 01:28 pm »
I am trying to use one of the encoders from before you had them with the circuit board.  The bare encoder has 5 solder points.    But just to make all our lives easier I will order one of the new ones with the circuit board and screw terminals.  From my recent experience I would probably need to order one anyway after I melted something on the one I have.  Thanks.

On any encoder that also has a push button switch feature you are likely to see 5 connection points. 2 of these are for the switch, the other 3 are for the encoder proper. Usually the 2 switch pins are grouped together apart from the 3 encoder pins. If you have a volt/ohm meter it's a simple matter of interrogating these pins to determine which are which. The 3 encoder pins will be leg A, leg B and a Common. Even if you hook it up all wrong to begin with I don't think any harm will be done, it just won't work right.