Rusty Jefferson

Re: Diffusion panel help
« Reply #20 on: 27 Aug 2019, 10:55 pm »
Thanks Mike, got it. (Thumbs up emoji)

emailtim

« Reply #21 on: 28 Aug 2019, 02:13 am »
http://www.libinst.com/diffusers/Depot_Diffuser.html

Yes I believe they are certainly cheap enough, just didn't know if this pattern is good for OB?? Do GR OB speakers require a specific pattern for better results?

Thanks

Here is another longer thread on the Depot Diffuser and those that tried it including some Dipole users.

Depot Diffuser

The rule of thumb for diffusers is 1 foot of distance away for every inch depth of the diffusers. 

GIK doesn't recommend anything shallower than 5".

I made a small Depot Diffuser and it attenuates side wall reflections well.  I may try making one of the LeanFusers or the Diffractal versions that inspired the Depot Diffuser (http://arqen.com/sound-diffusers/gallery/).
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2019, 04:12 pm by emailtim »

Captainhemo

« Reply #22 on: 28 Aug 2019, 03:08 am »
even wireder... I click the link, even in a different browser,and it  works   fine so not  like it's  just  cached ?

jay

emailtim

« Reply #23 on: 28 Aug 2019, 03:27 am »
even wireder... I click the link, even in a different browser,and it  works   fine so not  like it's  just  cached ?

jay

I resized the link and uploaded.  Hopefully it works.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #24 on: 28 Aug 2019, 12:32 pm »
This looks like a great project for the upcoming weather. Off to Lowes I go.

Nick77

« Reply #25 on: 28 Aug 2019, 12:38 pm »
            Here is another longer thread on the Depot Diffuser and those that tried it including some Dipole users.

Thanks for the link, a lot more info on them. They look even better than I remember and seem to help dipole speakers as well. I was thinking to cut one in half but maybe 2 wholes is much better??

Thanks again!  :thumb:

AKLegal

« Reply #26 on: 28 Aug 2019, 02:31 pm »
Great thread.  I think I am going to try building a couple Leanfusors to place directly behind my speakers which are about 4 ft off the front wall.

http://arqen.com/wp-content/docs/diffusers/Diffuser-A1LF-Fab-Drawings-Arqen.pdf

titaniumheads

« Reply #27 on: 28 Aug 2019, 02:45 pm »
I built a large one 4'x8' for the back wall of my audio room using the specs from the argen website. Its made from metal with dense insulation behind and I had it powdercoated. It works well.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #28 on: 28 Aug 2019, 03:52 pm »
QRDude.......its how I designed mine.

Diffusion on front wall......absorption on all 1st reflection points (including ceiling)
Bass traps in the corners, has worked well for me on a number of OB systems.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #29 on: 28 Aug 2019, 03:56 pm »
PDR, your room always looks so cool!

emailtim

« Reply #30 on: 28 Aug 2019, 04:01 pm »
I built a large one 4'x8' for the back wall of my audio room using the specs from the argen website. Its made from metal with dense insulation behind and I had it powdercoated. It works well.

That looks great. 

How did you make it out of metal ?  Is it made out of strips, or is one big piece bent on a brake or something else ?

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #31 on: 28 Aug 2019, 04:07 pm »

Beautiful, how much does it weigh?

titaniumheads

« Reply #32 on: 28 Aug 2019, 05:21 pm »
It was bent from 24 gauge sheet metal on a press brake. I have an HVAC/ fab shop. I made it in 5 sections and capped the ends with painted wood. Each one weighs about 20lbs.

emailtim

« Reply #33 on: 28 Aug 2019, 07:22 pm »
It was bent from 24 gauge sheet metal on a press brake. I have an HVAC/ fab shop. I made it in 5 sections and capped the ends with painted wood. Each one weighs about 20lbs.

Very cool.  Thanks for sharing.  Great to have fabrication tools.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #34 on: 29 Aug 2019, 09:14 am »
Built my own as well, from the Arqen website, it is a combo diffuser absorber. Behind the aforementioned diffuser, I put in a 1 inch air gap, then 4 inches thick of OC703.

Sorry about the poor pics...old camera!

Best,
Anand.

tomlinmgt

« Reply #35 on: 5 Sep 2019, 09:02 pm »
Excellent info here, guys. NOW I know what the diffusers I saw Danny using at LSAF a few months ago are and where they came from!
I built the leanfuser stepped diffuser back around ‘14...this was done with birch ply and arranged in what Tim referred to as a “7-unit modulated array”.  I’ve built 2D QRD well-type diffusers and 3D skyline-type as well and the stepped diffuser is a few orders of magnitude easier than both.  Like a few of you in this thread, I left a 4” air gap behind the array and filled it with rockwool.  Sound stage depth and image resolution with the Acoustats actually got better when I thought there was no room for improvement.

Michael

« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2019, 10:48 pm by tomlinmgt »

toocool4

« Reply #36 on: 5 Sep 2019, 10:04 pm »
Corndog71 check out this vid, it will help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_LUighoO4U