Sudden Change in Sound

topside3

Sudden Change in Sound
« on: 2 Jun 2023, 05:39 pm »
Hey Odyssey group - I've run into a situation where the tonality of my system changed drastically, which seems to be a tipping up of the high frequencies, which makes most recordings unlistenable. I've eliminated my source as the issue, leaving my preamp, amp or speakers. Is there something in the Kismet amps that could change the tonality that drastically from one day to the next? It hasn't gotten better in a week and a half. I checked the bias - was hovering around 20-22 - set it back to 19.5 per Klaus' recommendation, and it didn't help. Anything else anyone can think of?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Sudden Change in Sound
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2023, 09:20 pm »
Cables hooked up out of phase.  I've had occasions when I would have sworn on a stack of Bibles that I'd hooked everything up correctly, nope.  I always keep that Stereophile test CD at hand.  Hope you find out what it is whatever might be the problem.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2023, 09:54 pm »
Wall tension too hi or too low.  :scratch:

JCarney

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2023, 12:32 am »
Call Klaus, just call him. Make sure to do it after 10:30pm cuz the dude is a night owl. He will ask questions, and either solve the problem or tell you to send them in.

JCarney

Bingenito

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2023, 01:48 am »
I dont own of of this brand but generally speaking if nothing in the system has changed yet it sound’s different then check your power.

LEDs in the same circuit or close to your gear can cause this in some gear.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2023, 01:54 am »
The leds lamps supply can interfere on computers supply and made a lot of electrical noise.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jun 2023, 02:01 am »
Sorry to hear that.yes,  my money is on AC as well..........and it's a royal pain in the ass...anything AC  related...

for the amps any change doesn't matter as you have rebiased the amp to your voltage.  leaves other components.

Dead giveaway is if the sound changes equally in both channels.   Then it's a component.  For example,  such a drastic change is possible within the amp,  but if both channels do the same,  then it's also very unlikely.........as always,  call me,

Klaus