Ella's Rodgers and Hart hdtracks 24-192 sounds worse than cd (rip)

Marius

HI,

After having enjoyed Norah Jones's latest hires dl, I decided to buy Ella Fitzgeralds Rodgers and Hart Songbook in 24-192 resolution https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HX00731453725829

I've found the cd-rip I made before to sound far more superior (verve master edition) . The soundstage feels more in balance, and Ella's voices is a lot mellower. the hdtracks files have less volume, have to turn up the amp. Sound 'fresher', and after 2 or 3 songs start to get fatiguing on the ear. Actually it sounds almost distorted now and then. Some might say 'digital'....on the Bryston bcd1 the cd sounds so much better. 

Have made these 2 audacity plots, and there's no info above 21khz in the 24-192 files.
What's with these files?

24-192

cd-rip

Thanks for havin a look,
Marius

Davey

Why would you expect there to be information above 21khz?

If you're noticing an subjective, audible superiority to the redbook version, it's most likely the result of using a different mastering source for the production.
This is one of the important points/aspects that Chris Montgomery noted in his "24/192...why they make no sense article."
There's simply no reason a 24/192 recording should sound worse than a redbook version.......all other things being equal.

Cheers,

Dave.

Marius

all other things being equal, I understand that. Sure, might be another master.

Since there is no other way of finding out, these AC-post are the only way of letting people know about those issues I guess. I wish I could get a refund and give it back to HDtracks.

This might well be a reason for me not to buy those recordings anymore, since, well, you never know, do you.

The industry should find a way for people to try/buy.

and regarding those Audacity prints: the Norah recordings did have more info in the 192 files as I believed to have read in Audacity. Had hoped these Ella 192 files were remastered from the originals in such a way dl it again would prove useful, with extra info redbook couldn't cover. What point is there to it if not?

Marius

Why would you expect there to be information above 21khz?

If you're noticing an subjective, audible superiority to the redbook version, it's most likely the result of using a different mastering source for the production.
This is one of the important points/aspects that Chris Montgomery noted in his "24/192...why they make no sense article."
There's simply no reason a 24/192 recording should sound worse than a redbook version.......all other things being equal.

Cheers,

Dave.
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2012, 10:07 pm by Marius »