Tube Amp Shoot Out

sturgus

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« on: 6 Apr 2004, 03:29 am »
Hey guys,
Since we are talking about having a shoot out I thought we might as well get this ball rolling. I can have it at my house on a Thursday evening or Friday afternoon or evening. If these days work for you let me know and we can set a date.
Sturgus

steve k

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2004, 02:23 pm »
If those dates are good for the rest of the gang, I'd be happy to bring the VTL's out, Sturg. Otherwise if weekends work best for everyone, I'd be happy to host the next one too although I know you couldn't make it until late.

What does everyone think?
steve

Scott F.

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2004, 06:12 pm »
Just let me know where and when and I'm in. If it's down to a Thursday or Friday, my vote is Friday that way we can start the weekend off right.

Oh, let me know what to bring (if anything).

steve k

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2004, 11:04 am »
Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:59 am      

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's your pleasure guys, for the next get together?

So far, Sturgus has offered to host on a Thursday night or Friday afternoon or evening. I can host it on a Saturday or Sunday. It sounds like for the weekend, Sunday is better?

If we do it at my place, we may be without Sturgus' Aronov amps since they're really difficult to move. It really comes down to what time we can get the most people together. I'm open at either place all times except Thursday night.

You need to pick the time and we'll set a date. My Bottlehead Seduction is due here tomorrow so I'll be a soldering fool this weekend.  :roll:  If we end up at my place we can give it a spin at that time.

Let us know your preference on a time--Thursday night, Friday afternoon or evening, Saturday or Sunday?

Scott, hope you've recovered from the flood OK :!:  
steve k.

DeadFish

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2004, 01:34 pm »
The only bite about sunday Steve, is I *think* it is Easter.

:lol:

(Though I sit here in a puddle of goo making 'HomerSimpsonDOughnutTHought' noises of Handel's 'Messiah' on Willies Locomotive...) 'aarghhh-gurgle'

WHere ever y'all decide, if you wanna 'cap' off the crowd for lack of room, 'sokay.  I'd be glad to come, but as a total newbie who was stupid enough to give my Dad's tube gear and box of extra tubes away, I feel I should still hang my head in shame and let those that enjoy it most be there front and center.  Unless you wanna let me listen thru the open windows... :mrgreen:

Just keep it posted!

Regards,
DF

Mathew_M

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2004, 03:18 pm »
Dbl. Post

Mathew_M

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2004, 03:18 pm »
A Thursday night or Friday afternoon on the 16th would work (probably) for me.  My work schedule changes from week to week.  Otherwise Sunday the 18th or 25th of this month works.

There's no rules against having two shoot outs.   It's all in fun anyway.  We can do it at one guy's place this month and another's next month.   It would be fun hearing the difference a room makes on the same gear.

I don't think group size is such a problem as having too much variety of gear to demo.  The week night get togethers will probably have a much smaller turn out though.

Mike D

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2004, 04:18 pm »
I vote one amp shoot out due to the weight and the the fact that my p^$$y hurts just thinking about carrying those amps around again.  (Scott, is that okay or are going to edit that out?)  

I can do Sundays and most Saturdays.  Thursdays and Fridays are out for me and my tpt/guitar lessons that run into the evenings.  

mike

Scott F.

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2004, 06:40 pm »
Edit what out?  :lol:

Count the Radii's in. I just picked up some NOS Mullard driver tubes to play with.

Sounds like Saturday would be the best for Sturgus since he works Sundays. We almost need to figure out who all will be there before we can pick where. If there are just a few, Sturgus' place would be fine, if we end up with a crowd I don't think we could squeeze everybody into Sturgus' listening room, though we could take turns without a problem.

And if we are doing high powered tube amps, I'd sure like to hear Rich's Manleys and also have Tim bring the big AR from Best Sound. I may just have the Jolida by then too. Got word (second hand) that Mike is almost caught up and should be shipping the JD1000 soon.

OK, so I guess the question at hand is How many people plan on showing up for the High Powered Tube Amp Demonstrations :?:
I assume this would be the weekend after Easter, right?

So far the count is;
Sturgus (Fri) - Aronovs
Steve (anytime) - VTL's
Mike D (Sat or Sun) - Rogues
Mathew (Thurs, Fri, Sat Late, Sun)
Deadfish (anytime)
Scott (Fri, Sat, Sun) - Radii's
Electric Bear (Sat eve) - Audio Research
Willie (Fri) - Dyna's

OK, we need you other guys to weigh in.
Keep watching this post as I'll add people to the list.

<-------------------------------------------->
My vote for the get together after this next one is all of us going over to Mike D's to hear his gear and have a big Jam Session.  :guitar:  :drums:  :rock:
Mike and Thom on guitars, Rich on Bass and Willie on Drums. Mikes basement is set up for jamming.

Mike D

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2004, 07:15 pm »
Good idea!  I have a MOTHER of a smoker/grill in the back yard too.  I'll get up early and throw the neighbor's pet turkey on the slow smoker.   :wink:

The only draw back is seating for listenning/playing.  I can fit 5 including myself if we snuggle up close on the couch.  

Summer would be great for me to host.
mike

Mathew_M

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2004, 07:21 pm »
I could probably work something out Saturday the 17th.  Most likely it will be a little later in the evening before I could get there though.

electricbear

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2004, 07:29 pm »
the evening of the 17th would work for me. I could bring along the arc VT100 if anyones interested. :wink:

drummerwill

The Big Jam Amp Shootout
« Reply #12 on: 7 Apr 2004, 10:20 pm »
My vote is for the Friday night after Easter. I think I could do that.
    Rich Sorry I missed Sat. I was at a soccer tournament, I really
   wanted to hear ya.
     Guys, my Dyna Mark III's are ready to see the competition, let the
    " Match " begin!

Have fun!
       Willie

sturgus

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #13 on: 7 Apr 2004, 11:29 pm »
Hey Guys,
I won't be able to do it on Sat. Because I have to work. Fri afternoon or eve. looks it might be best for me.

sturgus

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #14 on: 12 Apr 2004, 03:09 am »
So far it looks like Fri is best for most people. If I can get a final count on who is coming I can start getting ready.
Looks like:
Willie
Steve
Deadfish
Scott
Mathew

Anybody else? Let me know.
Sturgus

steve k

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #15 on: 12 Apr 2004, 11:50 am »
Sounds good, Sturg.  :)   What time Friday?

BTW, I built the Bottlehead Seduction over the weekend. It sounds great--much smoother than the Bugle. Maybe we can do a phono stage comparison at a later meet?

I'll bring the VTL's. What else should we bring? :bounce:
steve

electricbear

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #16 on: 12 Apr 2004, 03:47 pm »
Most Thursday nights (other than this one ) are good for me as I don't work on a Friday. I might be available this Friday pm

Scott F.

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #17 on: 12 Apr 2004, 04:59 pm »
Quote from: electricbear
Most Thursday nights (other than this one ) are good for me as I don't work on a Friday. I might be available this Friday pm

Hey Tim,

Can you bring the big AR if you make it?

electricbear

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #18 on: 12 Apr 2004, 08:03 pm »
I guess I could but don't be surprised if I look embarressed when the VTL MB125s spank it. The EL34s are much more musical than the 6550 used by ARC :)

Mathew_M

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #19 on: 12 Apr 2004, 11:05 pm »
I had the privilege of hearing Steve's VTL's drive both his maggies and my VMPS and I was impressed.  Very 'live' and full sounding amps.   It will be interesting to see how they compare to the Radii's.