Mini monitors

steve k

Mini monitors
« on: 9 Jun 2004, 07:12 pm »
A friend of mine from work wants to use a Griffin Powerwave with his computer to record his band's demo discs. He intends to record directly from his mixing board through the Powerwave and into his soundcard to create .WAV files that he'll burn onto CD's. He'd like a good set of mini-monitors and a subwoofer to monitor the demoes from his Powerwave. What is a good set of mini-monitors and sub for around $300 that the Powerwave will drive?
Thanks all,
steve k

Scott F.

Re: Mini monitors
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2004, 02:02 am »
Quote from: steve k
A friend of mine from work wants to use a Griffin Powerwave with his computer to record his band's demo discs. He intends to record directly from his mixing board through the Powerwave and into his soundcard to create .WAV files that he'll burn onto CD's. He'd like a good set of mini-monitors and a subwoofer to monitor the demoes from his Powerwave. What is a good set of mini-monitors and sub for around $300 that the Powerwave will drive?

Hiya Steve,

Not much in the $300 range comes to mind on mini monitors wiht the exception of the Acoustic Energy Evo 1's (I think? thats the model) down at Music For Pleasure. I think they are about $299.

I realize you are looking for passive speakers but the Monsoon MM9's simply kick some serious booty. The main speakers are ribbons crossed at about 250Hz and have a 6 1/2" sub. I use these at work and the sound is stunning. I've even got an older pair at the house connected to that computer.

For $60 plus shipping, these are a steal. Unfortunately they aren't being made anymore so you have to buy them from the 'overstock' guys. Heres a link to a guy on eBay that is selling them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3702&item=5100107961&rd=1

steve k

Mini monitors
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2004, 11:38 am »
Thanks for the tips, Scott. I'll pass them on to my friend. Welcome back BTW, we're looking forward to hearing your stories. Did you see Elvis?
steve