Another D/A Hynes reg for the Overdrive SE

audioengr

Another D/A Hynes reg for the Overdrive SE
« on: 9 Jul 2013, 06:36 pm »
I have done a few of these mods already, and I whittled-down the backlog a bit, so I think I can safely announce the new mod for the Overdrive SE.  I will call it "Digital D/A Hynes reg".

The Overdrive already has a D/A Hynes powering the analog output, but it shares power on the digital input section.  I am now offering a dedicated Hynes reg for the D/A digital section.  It is not that easy to install, so the mod is $400.00plus shipping and PayPal fee.

I have gotten nothing but raves about this particular mod.  Really puts the Overdrive over the top.  A quote from one customer:  " I have never heard anything like it".

Email me if you want this mod for your Overdrive.

Thanks,
Steve N.
« Last Edit: 8 May 2014, 01:56 am by audioengr »

ketcham

• Industry Participant
Re: Another D/A Hynes reg for the Overdrive SE
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2013, 08:05 pm »
Steve,

Is this mod offered to new overdrive orders and if so, what is the additional fee, if any for the mod?

With appreciation,

John.

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2013, 11:39 pm »
Steve,

Is this mod offered to new overdrive orders and if so, what is the additional fee, if any for the mod?

With appreciation,

John.

John - it is $400 for the option, whether for a new one or an existing one.

Steve N.

Stephen

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2013, 01:18 am »
After a bit of excitement at the border (US / Canada) my Overdrive SE finally made it back to Canada with Steve's upgrade last Friday. I played music practically non-stop over the weekend and noted that everything seems 'clearer' after the upgrade. One of my favourite test tracks is Paul Simon's Graceland (24/96 of the 25th Anniversary edition). It has a good mix of percussion, drums, bass and guitar during the intro. Everything is clearly plated, and the percussion 'rings' after each thwack to a very realistic decay. Mercury Living Presence recordings (from last years box set) had, well more presence! Everything from blues to jazz to Wilco feel like I'm hearing the music with new glasses. So far, a winner, for the price of the upgrade. Now just waiting for the Final Drive I've ordered to go to another level . . .

Stephen

Stephen

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2013, 01:20 am »
That should be 'placed' not 'plated'!  :D

djkevrock

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2013, 01:03 pm »
I can't wait to get my Overdrive SE upgraded!!!!

preproman

« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2013, 11:23 pm »
Is an Over Drive SE 2 on the horizon?

audioengr

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2013, 05:18 pm »
Is an Over Drive SE 2 on the horizon?

Next year, but it will probably be one-chassis solution with no volume control and no balanced outs.  Plan is to support DSD.

Steve N.

path73

« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2013, 10:08 pm »
Steve, regarding Overdrive 2, is the idea to target a lower cost or do you have something else in mind to solve
1) the volume control and
2) direct amp feed issues?

I guess you are totally convinced a Final Drive should be in any system which will solve the second issue (I still have to try one myself to assess its benefit in my rig), but what about volume control? Digital volume by the software player alone?

As you see, I am still interested in taking a step up with my converter and DAC... but I have the feeling it will be a costly one. Vapors are also on my mind (the smaller ones)...
Cheers,
/patrick

audioengr

« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2013, 11:22 pm »
Steve, regarding Overdrive 2, is the idea to target a lower cost or do you have something else in mind to solve
1) the volume control and
2) direct amp feed issues?

I guess you are totally convinced a Final Drive should be in any system which will solve the second issue (I still have to try one myself to assess its benefit in my rig), but what about volume control? Digital volume by the software player alone?

As you see, I am still interested in taking a step up with my converter and DAC... but I have the feeling it will be a costly one. Vapors are also on my mind (the smaller ones)...
Cheers,
/patrick

Lower cost is a goal.  I am thinking about designing a really good separate preamp based on the transformer in the Final Drive and my DAC output technology.  The next DAC will not have volume control because the chips that do DSD will not support what I need, and I want to keep the cost down.

Steve N.

Stephen

« Reply #10 on: 6 Sep 2013, 09:58 pm »
Steve,

I currently run my DSD downloads through my OPPO player (need the latest beta firmware update for this on the recent players). The sound is good, but best of all you can obtain surround mixes (see Channel Classics for some great multichannel DSD downloads, for example). Are you planning on multichannel support?

Stephen