My First Headphone AmP!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
My First Headphone AmP!
« on: 14 Jul 2018, 06:41 pm »
Well, it has finally happened. I recently decided I was ready to once again make use of my HD650s that have sat in their box for a few years. I kind of think I bought them (used) in 2014 and used them for just a few months before boxing them up again. It wasn't that I didn't like their sound. It was the fact that every single time I put on some great music and began drifting off into nirvana, my dear attention starved wife would stand in front of me and ask me questions, and not leave until she got her answer. This happened repeatedly. It drove me f@%&ing insane. To combat this insanity, I began buying two-channel audio equipment because she'd actually allow me to listen for a few more minutes before asking me a life changing question.

Fast forward to the present...she has gotten used to hearing music playing in the house. She likes to have music playing in the house. She still dislikes most of the Rock I grew up listening to. She dislikes a lot of Jazz and dislikes a lot of Classical, too. I can put on some music for 'house' listening and maybe...maybe achieve some 'personal' listening now.

After considering several options, I decided to finally try a Schiit product. I've ordered a Lyr3 Multibit w/6SN7 tube. It is compact enough that it won't take up much space on my desktop, and I can take it with me when we fly to Taiwan in November.

I'll post my impressions in a couple weeks once everything has settled in.

Michael

Folsom

Re: My First Headphone AmP!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2018, 08:19 pm »
I just got a headphone amp, too. I like to listen before I sleep and lately it had been the only way since I am on a bit of a late schedual.

That is kind of funny about treating people like they aren't doing anything while listening. I have had two people over to listen to music, and one wouldn't stfu... and complained it was loud so it was hard to talk. That was a bit silly.

A_shah

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2018, 06:04 am »
Well, it has finally happened. I recently decided I was ready to once again make use of my HD650s that have sat in their box for a few years. I kind of think I bought them (used) in 2014 and used them for just a few months before boxing them up again. It wasn't that I didn't like their sound. It was the fact that every single time I put on some great music and began drifting off into nirvana, my dear attention starved wife would stand in front of me and ask me questions, and not leave until she got her answer. This happened repeatedly. It drove me f@%&ing insane. To combat this insanity, I began buying two-channel audio equipment because she'd actually allow me to listen for a few more minutes before asking me a life changing question.

Fast forward to the present...she has gotten used to hearing music playing in the house. She likes to have music playing in the house. She still dislikes most of the Rock I grew up listening to. She dislikes a lot of Jazz and dislikes a lot of Classical, too. I can put on some music for 'house' listening and maybe...maybe achieve some 'personal' listening now.

After considering several options, I decided to finally try a Schiit product. I've ordered a Lyr3 Multibit w/6SN7 tube. It is compact enough that it won't take up much space on my desktop, and I can take it with me when we fly to Taiwan in November.

I'll post my impressions in a couple weeks once everything has settled in.

Michael

Had a Lyr 2  courtesy Amazon just before Christmas time was able  to keep the unit for nearly two months ! presently I do have LCD X and finally settled on two HP amps . for on the road and sometimes listening the Chord Mojo but the main HP amp I like  is the lest expensive amp the Audeze Deckard Class A 4 watts amp , just love that  amp the others I would look at are the Pathos Aurium  or the Woo audio  WA 6SE very sweet sounding  :popcorn:

Asghar

mresseguie

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2018, 06:27 am »
Hi, Ashgar.

Thanks for the input. I'll admit I didn't spend overly much time researching choices. I've been curious about Schiit gear for a couple years, so I'm giving it a try first. If it isn't to my liking, I can return it within 15 days and try another headphone amp like the Deckard or the Woo Audio. The biggest challenge is getting my wife to give me adequate time to listen.

I've put up with inexpensive IEMs plugged directly into my Mac Mini for a few years, so practically anything will be a big improvement.

Michael

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2018, 12:54 pm »
I have gone thru many cans and amps and bought and sold 2 of the first generation Schitt amps....the latest stuf from Schitt are really pretty good IMO.

The Lyr 3 with MB is a very nice amp, I think you will enjoy it very much. There are soooo many good choices out there.

You can spend a lot of money looking for perfection only to realize that they all are pretty good.

Some headphones and amps seem to pair better than others and this is well stated all over the place.

The HD 650's you have are very nice cans and should work well with a variety of amps including the Lyr3.

I use a Schitt Vahalla 2 amp with these and its a good pairing. The tube amps from Bottlehead like the Crack are stellar with senns and 300+ ohm cans.

Hope you get time to listen!

Alex
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2018, 06:52 pm by adydula »

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2018, 05:07 pm »
The Woo WA7 sounded really nice at a show, much better than the portable tube version; but the portable tube version was nice.

mresseguie

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2018, 07:32 am »
My Lyr 3 arrived today - fast!

I unboxed it, actually read the simple directions before plugging it in. I connected it to my Mac Mini using my Pi Audio USB cable and.....nothing. I restarted the Mini...nothing. I turned both machines off and on...nothing. The Mac couldn't detect the DAC in the Lyr 3. As recommended in the manual, I tried a 'normal' USB cable...nothing. I tried a second normal (non audiophile) USB cable....nothing. I tried using different USB connections....nothing.

I now have my iPhone connected to the RCA in, so I can at least listen to my HD650s. They don't sound as nice as my Daedalus Apollos, I'm afraid. Perhaps I'm spoiled?

I'll go out and buy a cheapo 1 meter USB cord tomorrow. If I still get nothing, the Lyr 3 is going back to Schiit and I'll try another unit - possibly the Deckard or Woo....flip a coin.

Michael

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2018, 11:13 pm »
  • What is the OS version in the Mac?
  • Have you used sources other than the godawful iTunes? VLC or other audio software
  • Have another computer (Mac or Windows) you could try it with to rule out hardware issues (which I doubt anyway)?
  • Open Sound preferences and check output device under MIDI settings. Does the Lyr show up under Output options? Sampling and bit rates etc have to line up.
  • Call AppleCare if none of the above helps. Computer Audiophile forums might give some help too.

I have had two Schiit DACs (Modi and Modi Multibit). The first Multibit (one was given a new logic board under warranty) wouldn't detect unless it was plugged in and turned on when the computer booted. Replacement doesn't have this problem. I strongly suspect a software or setting problem, not a hardware issue with the Schiit Lyr or a cabling problem. I hope it doesn't make a Lyr out of me...

I definitely recommend Rogue Amoeba's inexpensive 'SoundSource' for anyone using a Mac as an audio tool. It makes accessing, determining, and (if necessary) changing audio system settings easy, right from the menu bar. Some 'audiophile' focused player apps take control of the audio settings, making sure parameters and routing are optimum. This is particularly helpful if you play material with different sampling and/or bit rates. MacOS could use a little more user friendliness in this area. SoundSource helps. Screenshot:

Hope some of this helps.

« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2018, 12:32 am by dB Cooper »

mresseguie

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2018, 03:34 am »
DB,

Thanks for all those ideas. Mostly new information for me.  :thumb:

For $9.99 I picked up a 1m GE USB cable. This did the trick. The previous USB cables were all 2m in length.

I'll burn it in for a few days as I imagine there will be some improvement after 100+ hours. I'm still comparing my HD650s to my Apollos...I know the aural experience is different, so I'll be patient and try to avoid being overly judgmental. [I just tried to spell judgmental with an 'e' after the 'g' only to discover there's no 'e'! English is such a peculiar language. How can the 'g' possibly have a 'j' sound if it is not followed by an 'e'? Ridiculous!]

Michael

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2018, 04:33 am »
Oh, never mind :)

You kan't spel, I kant reed

mresseguie

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2018, 05:34 am »
 :lol:

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2018, 10:41 pm »
DB,

For $9.99 I picked up a 1m GE USB cable. This did the trick. The previous USB cables were all 2m in length.

That shouldn't matter, but what the hey. Glad you're getting music out of it now.

As a longtime (now former) HD650 owner, I can tell you they're a very good listening experience. Pull the yokes out far enough so the headband padding just touches the top of your head for best comfort. I rand a little bit of high-end boost sometimes. Never a harsh note from these cans.

mresseguie

« Reply #12 on: 2 Sep 2018, 03:49 am »
I've got an update.

I like my Schiit. I'd like to keep it. It pumps out some serious heat. I think I'll happily use it in my Taiwan home's home office during the winter. Think 50 degrees inside; no central heating....great little space heater in my 9' x 8' x 8' box. It may actually raise the temperature by 3 degrees.

I've still got the Lyr3. However, my Mac Mini suddenly stopped recognizing the Lyr3 after one month. Everything was wonderful the night before, but the next morning....nothing. Schiitsky.

I took the cheap USB cable and my Lyr3 downstairs and hooked it to my iMac. No problem. It makes great music. I took my wife's Macbook Air and connected the Lyr, no problem. I connected my dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC and connected it to my Mac Mini using both the cheap USB cable and my Pi Audio audiophile USB cable....no problems....It is only when I plug my Lyr3 into my Mac Mini's USB ports (tried all four of them!) that my Mac Mini doesn't recognize my Lyr3. This is some crazy Schiit if you ask me. WTF?

I took my Mac Mini down to the repair shop where they performed an assessment of all the Mac Mini's functions. The assessment didn't think anything was amiss. [No. It wasn't an audiophile sort of assessment.] Next step is to spend $70 on a more serious assessment.

Question:

Do I want to spend $70 (or more) to determine what the heck is wrong?

Do I contact Schiit service for ideas that are not already covered in their website?

Do I complain to Schiit service/try to get a replacement unit??

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 2 Sep 2018, 05:00 am »
Hi Michael, it's not clear what you mean by "doesn't recognize". First, reboot everything. Then:
  • In Audio MIDI setup, does the Lyr3 appear?
  • In System Information, USB section, does the Lyr 3 appear?

If you contacted Schiit service, they would probably want to know this anyway I expect.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 26 Sep 2018, 10:59 pm »
I looked at the FAQ on Schitts site and it states no additional drivers are needed but UAC2 support is a requirement.

I dont have any Macs here, but you may want to check your Mac Mini's USB support??

Dont hesitate to call or email Schitt support, I have done this several times with issues and each and every time they have helped,
solved or fixed or replaced stuff for me.

Here is the link to their support form.

http://www.schiit.com/contact/help-support

Good luck!
Alex

mresseguie

« Reply #15 on: 26 Sep 2018, 11:15 pm »
JohnR and Alex,

Thank you for your input. It turns out that I had to buy an externally powered USB drive. This fixed my connection.

My wireless mouse doesn’t seem to work well either. There is definitely something amiss with my Mac Mini USB drives. I will try a wired mouse in a couple days to see uf it fixes this problem. However, it may simply be time to take the Minivinto the shop for a careful examination.