Solved a problem for you!

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Solved a problem for you!
« on: 26 Feb 2007, 07:00 pm »
Just thought you would like to know I solved a problem for you - -  your customer with new V3s that was getting into trouble with bass distortion on sustained heavy orchestral stuff.

He was using a single 30 watt per channel Ultimate 70 tube amp on them, and evidently it is just not enough for that application.  He has a recent preamp and DAC from us too, and the system just begs to be opened up and driven hard.  Sadly 30 watts per channel just won't do it.  :(   It was not your problem after all.

Anyway, the cure was that he ordered a Fet Valve Ultra 350 amp from me today.  :)  I will actually be selling two Ultimate 70 amps for him.  The guy has done my kits before and does outstanding work.  Both U70 amps have Magnequest audio transformers, big Triode power transformers, Teflon wiring, new tube sockets, the works so I am letting people know now they will be available at $900 each just in case.  He did not want to go through the complications of running both amps bridged, as he would have had to buy the bridge in any event, and it looks like this will be a much less expensive alternative for him.

Now he just needs to be patient and stay with less demanding program material for a few weeks until we can build him the new big amplifier.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Solved a problem for you!
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2007, 07:13 pm »
Well, that will save me from any more time staring at circuits and impedance plots.  The V3 is actually fairly sensitive--much more so than the HT3.  But it may not be as easy for a little tube unit as the HT2 we had in Denver.  Were you using the same 30 watter on that, or was it a different model?  In any event, Thanks!

jsalk

Re: Solved a problem for you!
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2007, 07:15 pm »
Frank -

Thanks.  I heard no hint of distortion before we shipped the speakers.  And when he told me today that only with sustained deep bass did he even hear the distortion, I thought perhaps it was just that he was driving his amp a little too hard.  But you never know for certain and I wanted to make absolutley sure that there were no problems with his new speakers.

By the way, he indicated that the midrange and top end were heavenly.  So he should be very happy when his new amp arrives.

Thanks again...

- Jim