Pal Dao HT3's

jsalk

Pal Dao HT3's
« on: 10 Feb 2007, 10:01 pm »
Every once and a while we run across some very striking veneer and just have to buy it.  We don't have any particular project in mind, but we really like what we see.

About six months ago I ran across a batch of Pal Dao veneer.  This is a very rare member of the Pau Ferro family (I think).  I have never seen it before or since.

After looking at it for quite a while, I decided to build a pair of HT3's.

The veneer has a cathedral grain pattern reminiscent of a rosewood.  But the color pallet is charcoal, caramel and straw rather than black, orange and red.  The veneer has a great deal of luminescence which does not show up in the photographs.  I just wasn't able to photograph the speakers and show the real nature of the wood.

The front baffles, trim, and plinths were done in Mexican Zircote.  It had a similar grain structure but with darker tones for contrast.

Here is a picture of the HT3's...

We used a black version of the TC woofer in this pair to pick up the black coloring in the cabinet.  We also used black deluxe spikes on the plinth.

Here is a detailed close up...

These speakers will soon be offered for sale.

- Jim

EProvenzano

Re: Pal Dao HT3's
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2007, 11:05 pm »
I just had to stare at these for a few minutes  :o
 :notworthy:

Those are freakin' incredible :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2007, 11:13 pm »
WOW!!!

Truly a work of art Jim.

This might be your best pair yet.

George

K_Roen

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2007, 12:11 am »
Jim
Those are simply amazing.  aa   Each time I think you've peaked with the latest cabinet you out do yourself with the next.  I can't wait to see mine.
Thanks
Keith

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2007, 12:15 am »
Hey Jim, can you hang onto these until the V3s you are building for me are done? These HT3s are so outstanding looking, I think I would like to take the pair that comes out nicer, whichever set that is.

I think they would look (and sound) great in my living room.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2007, 12:33 am »
geez ...just when you think you've seen everything that's possible, your browser splashes these in your face.  Simply amazing and beautiful!

Zero

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2007, 02:48 am »
Is there any chance you could post some higher res. shots somewhere?

Those are ridiculously good looking....

WELL done..  how I envy your talent.

Woodsea

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2007, 02:57 am »
Very nice looking pair.

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2007, 03:12 am »
A6M-ZERO -

Is there any chance you could post some higher res. shots somewhere?

Those are ridiculously good looking....

WELL done..  how I envy your talent.

What kind of resolution would you like? 

- Jim

Zero

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2007, 03:18 am »
I'm easy to please..  just something 800x600 would suffice :)

BradJudy

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2007, 04:33 am »
Wow - there might be my new favorites too.  Too bad I didn't just win the lottery - I would have been forced to call up and buy them.  :)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2007, 08:38 am »
WOW!!!

Truly a work of art Jim.

This might be your best pair yet.

George

I get tired of saying that after every pair....I have to come up with something new to say and still express those same thoughts.  Maybe these will do it?   :inlove:   :bowdown:   
Stupendous .....
Amazing.....
Astounding.....
Fantastic....
Marvelous....
Phenomenal....
Wondrous.....

Nice work Jim !!!!   :beer:

jsalk

« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2007, 01:33 pm »
Keith -

Jim
Those are simply amazing.  aa   Each time I think you've peaked with the latest cabinet you out do yourself with the next.  I can't wait to see mine.
Thanks
Keith

I don't know if you received my email, but your HT3's will probably be done this week.  And they will be stunning!

- Jim

K_Roen

« Reply #13 on: 12 Feb 2007, 05:11 pm »
I don't know if you received my email, but your HT3's will probably be done this week.  And they will be stunning!

- Jim

Yes Jim I got your email and sent you a reply,  now I'm wondering if you received it. 

I'm counting down the days, hours, minutes till my new HT3's arrive and I can drool over them as I'm sure I will love their beauty and sound.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #14 on: 31 Mar 2007, 02:08 pm »
These Pal Dao HT3s are sitting in my living room right now.  Awesome!

I compared them to the new V3s at the Audiokarma show, and although the V3s are very nice indeed, I just could not pass up these amazing pieces of woodwork.

How do they sound?  At the show; great, we used them for the whole weekend.  Here at home?  Darn it they are not plugged in yet.  I had to steal all my very own equipment to fill orders and won't catch up enough to put my own system back into use for a couple of months.    :cry:

Meanwhile they sure are nice to look at.  I do of course have another set (walnut) in the sound lab.

Frank Van Alstine

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 1 Apr 2007, 06:50 pm »
  Darn it they are not plugged in yet.  I had to steal all my very own equipment to fill orders and won't catch up enough to put my own system back into use for a couple of months.    :cry:

Meanwhile they sure are nice to look at.  I do of course have another set (walnut) in the sound lab.

Frank Van Alstine

Frank, that's just WRONG!! :wink:

But what is really funny is you can't keep electronics in your own set up and Jim can't keep speakers in his! :slap: