Good small recording labels.

MaxCast

« on: 6 Jan 2003, 08:06 pm »
I started this thread because of my post about compression on the music we listen to.  The goal of this thread is for us to recommend recording labels that have offered better than average recording techniques resulting in superior sounding CD's.  One example is Mapleshade.  Their recordings (I'll leave the performance judging up to you) ususally are better than most.  There are many small labels out there that some may not be aware of, so lets hear about them.

randytsuch

« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2003, 08:36 pm »
Off the top of my head, I like Chesky, Reference recordings (only have the burn in disk from them), Opus3, Linn, Audioquest and Rounder.  There are many others, but those are the ones that popped up right now.  I am also bias towards the little guys that put out SACD's.

Randy

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2003, 08:40 pm »
Max,

JSP and Proper are two good UK record labels, their box sets can usually be found on discount at Amazon.  Good jazz and blues remasters that are typically higher quality than most US reissues.  Some new artists too.

NB

zachslc

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2003, 10:58 pm »
In the non-audiophile recording label category, Nonesuch records seems to make consistantly very good and often fantastic CDs and LPs (unfortunately not pressing vinyl anymore).  They also have a very interesting catalog of jazz, ecclectic world music, and wonderful lesser-known classicla pieces of the most prominant composers.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2003, 11:14 pm »
Its probably not that small but I really dig the Telarc SACD's I own!

CELT

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2003, 02:55 am »
Chesky is one of my favorites. They have Dave's True Story and David Johannsen and The Harry Smiths.  Mapleshade/Wild Child is another good label.

fredgarvin

labels
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2003, 05:06 pm »
I'll second the Telarc vote, Just picked up "whiskey Store" with Jimmy Thackery, Tab Benoit and Double Trouble , backing. Short, well crafted tunes rather than guitar hero stuff. Thackery is excellent, and does a blues version of Dylans' "Leopardskin Pillbox Hat".  :wink:

mojoman

Re: labels
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2003, 06:14 pm »
Quote from: fredgarvin
I'll second the Telarc vote, Just picked up "whiskey Store" with Jimmy Thackery, Tab Benoit and Double Trouble , backing. Short, well crafted tunes rather than guitar hero stuff. Thackery is excellent, and does a blues version of Dylans' "Leopardskin Pillbox Hat".  :wink:

I saw this band a few weeks ago.  We got Jimmy and Tab to sign the cd.  Excellent show.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2003, 06:31 pm »
Mapleshade and Wildchild have some of the best recordings I've heard. . .